Menu

Medic alert questions

I am ordering a new medical ID for my five year old. If your DC wear one, did you go for a bracelet or a necklace, and did you opt for one you can put text on or one of the call service ones where people call in for the info?

In the past we've done the ones with text and I was toying with the call in ones, but I read on multiple first responder/emt/paramedic forums that they don't usually have the time or take the time to call? :confused:

I called my mom then who is an advanced practice nurse in an ER and she said that's her experience, as well.

I also read that necklace ones are more likely to be missed?

Does anyone have any opinions?

Metal bracelet would be this first one check for regardless children or adult. The velcro or watch strap ones looks nicer but can be overlook in an emergency.

For me, I just need to put asthma and medical allergies so I have not considered the call service ones. My friend has epilepsy and that is what is on his medic alert together with a contact number.

We've always used a bracelet, but DS has requested a necklace. The jury's out on that one.

The sports type bands are nice, but sometimes fall off - be aware.

We print text on it, and also have info on file if they should call. When DS was young, I also liked that they could call us, if we were separated at Disney or something. :)

Metal bracelet would be this first one check for regardless children or adult. The velcro or watch strap ones looks nicer but can be overlook in an emergency.

For me, I just need to put asthma and medical allergies so I have not considered the call service ones. My friend has epilepsy and that is what is on his medic alert together with a contact number.

http://www.laurenshope.com/product/2152/B249/fruit-punch-medical-id-bracelet/size

Do you think that's noticeable?

my son and daughter have the traditional metal bracelets. I think the frilly ones are just too easy to overlook, same thing with a necklace. Luckily for me my kids and I are each just allergic to one medication (son has a few food allergies too) which all fit on the bracelet. I don't know that I'd want one that only listed a call number. In a true emergency who has time to call about anything?

My son does non-competitive gymnastics and his coach has never asked him to take his bracelet off.

We do the medic alert bracelets and basic service (they sponser for those that cant afford).

I prefer the basic bracelet. We list vital information on the bracelet, and medic alert has our other info, like current meds.

If something were to happen with me away from the kids, medic alert has on file that i have 2 kids, and will call my father to care for them.

The basic bracelet is noticable and many people, drs or not, have asked the kids what their bracelets are for. Its obvious they're not just jewelry.

We do the medic alert bracelets and basic service (they sponser for those that cant afford).

I prefer the basic bracelet. We list vital information on the bracelet, and medic alert has our other info, like current meds.

If something were to happen with me away from the kids, medic alert has on file that i have 2 kids, and will call my father to care for them.

The basic bracelet is noticable and many people, drs or not, have asked the kids what their bracelets are for. Its obvious they're not just jewelry.

Do your kids mind people questioning them on them?