Menu

Not sure how to do history this year...

RhondaM.

I have a 7th grader this year. A 7th grader who loves history. In the years that we did SOTW he wrote narrations and did maps. The year we did SL 3 he listened eagerly and read everything I gave him. The last two year we've used TruthQuest w/ the Guerber books and he happily sat around the living room with me while listening to the TQ commentary which brought about wonderful convsersations about what he was learning and what he thought about it.

This year I have BF Early American and WH guide w/ the Foster books. Which means reading the pages and answering the questions.

He LOVES the Foster books. He loves talking about what he is reading. He would not even mind writing about what he is reading...and illustrating it..and doing maps. But he HATES answering the specific questions. He is not complaining, but he did say that it takes all the fun out of reading a book he had been excited about reading. That he feels like he is reading JUST to answer questions instead of just learning the material as normal.

I don't LIKE that. History is a passion of his and I don't want to ruin it for him.

Is answering questions in paragraph form something a 7th grader should be doing with every subject? Or is it ok to just continue on as usual with history and let him answer questions like this for say...science? (Which he hates anyway.)

Ok...I guess I just need to reread TWTM to get my answer...but I'd really live to hear it from the Hive as well. Humor me, somebody.

RhondaM.

Oh good heavens, you've answered the question yourself! Of course you don't steal his enthusiasm by doing nit-picky assignments; if he loves history, let him loose and watch him roar off!

Keep shoveling good books and maps and biographies his way. :)

LOL, Thank you. Exactly how I feel.