Menu

Finish Singapore (in 5B now) or dump for Life of Fred exclusively?

knit247

DD#1 is in SM 5B. She is very good at math - "gets it" almost immediately - is sick of SM and wants to do LoF exclusively. My original plan, however, was to complete through 6B this year - using LoF as a supplement - and then move to LoF exclusively for 7-12. To me, DD looks a bit "behind" in SM (she "should" be in 6A), but I have to remind myself that we have done two complete math programs each year: first SM & Miquon, and now SM & LoF. Maybe I have burned her out ;) WWYD? How important is it for her to finish the Primary Math series? Should we just supplement with LoF the remainder of this year (Fridays only) and then move to it full-time next year? Or go ahead and make the move now?

We've done the same thing- Singapore always with Miquon at first and then LOF. My kids prefer LOF, but I don't regret sticking with SM too. It was worth doing both together and we still are now with LOF and NEM.

I wasn't trying to get through three SM levels in one year though. I think you'd probably be fine with any option. I don't think it's a bad idea to focus on getting through the rest of Primary Math this year and then switch to LOF if your daughter can stand it. Or you could just do what you can this year before making the switch. And dropping SM now wouldn't be the end of the world.

What kind of a learner is your child? Calvin loved LOF when we used it as a supplement. When it became his main programme we discovered that its instruction was not explicit enough: he's not someone who enjoys working out strategies for himself. He wants to be told why and how to do something. We moved to a more traditional programme when he got bogged down.

Laura

We had a similar experience as Laura with LOF. It was a good supplement, but ultimately it was too "wiggly" as my son put it. If your daughter is good with math and if she enjoys a challenge, take a look at Art of Problem Solving. It moves away from the traditional approach to mathematics which might be what your daughter is looking for. We really enjoyed it and used it for a time then returned to Singapore for the high school years.

What kind of a learner is your child? Calvin loved LOF when we used it as a supplement. When it became his main programme we discovered that its instruction was not explicit enough: he's not someone who enjoys working out strategies for himself. He wants to be told why and how to do something. We moved to a more traditional programme when he got bogged down.

Laura

Definitely visual-spatial. She also has many aspects of aural-musical. I get so lost trying to figure this all out!

If your daughter is good with math and if she enjoys a challenge, take a look at Art of Problem Solving. It moves away from the traditional approach to mathematics which might be what your daughter is looking for. We really enjoyed it and used it for a time then returned to Singapore for the high school years.

TY - someone else suggested that to me. Will check that out this afternoon.

We dumped Singapore somewhere during 6A. That said, I would *not* make LoF the main math program. My recommendation would be to find a traditional prealgebra program or an algebra program that has a gentle introduction (Jacobs is an example) as a main program and continue using Fred as a supplement.

We have used Fred as a supplement but I am also thinking about ditching my plan this year of Singapore 6 and just doing the Fred pre-algebra series plus Singapore CWP and then deciding on traditional pre-algebra vs. algebra 1.

But I would never use Fred as the main math program long-term. I am only thinking about it because this year or two just before algebra seem to be a lot about repetition with only a few new topics thrown in.

I do not think Fred provides enough discussion of concepts or enough practice and review. I am sometimes dismayed by the format of story, quickie cookbook "here is how you do this problem" and then only a very few practice problems. I think there would be some serious deficiencies if one used this as the only program.