Menu

Questions about Brave Writer

BlueTaelon

dd12 can't write to save her life, she reads well above grade level but can't even write a proper sentence. She still writes short choppy sentences and without imagination. I'm thinking of getting Brave Writer from HSBC, dd12 is strongly a visual spatial learner and I've heard a lot of moms rave how great the program is for VSL kids. Does it work well for kids who need to learn writing from sentence construction on up?

What about these add on things like The Arrow? I gave up having her write physically and let her type, would typing still work for copy work? Do I have to have the Arrow (assuming thats the level we need) or is it one of those "nice but not really necessary" things?

dd12 can't write to save her life, she reads well above grade level but can't even write a proper sentence. She still writes short choppy sentences and without imagination. I'm thinking of getting Brave Writer from HSBC, dd12 is strongly a visual spatial learner and I've heard a lot of moms rave how great the program is for VSL kids. Does it work well for kids who need to learn writing from sentence construction on up?

What about these add on things like The Arrow? I gave up having her write physically and let her type, would typing still work for copy work? Do I have to have the Arrow (assuming thats the level we need) or is it one of those "nice but not really necessary" things?

I love Bravewriter. And I also buy the Arrow guides. You don't need the Arrow guides, but I do like them if only for the dictation instruction. You don't have to subscribe. Quite a few are on sale individually.

Bravewriter's main "book" The Writer's Jungle actually does talk about typing being a completely okay way to do copywork. Kids in this day and age do have to learn how to type/word process/blog/email etc after all. Although I would hesitate at letting a child give up handwriting all together. Handwriting is extremely important (for so many reasons) so I would still try to figure out where the problem lies as far as her writing/handwritng skills are concerned.

The ideas behind Bravewriter (freewrites, copywork, dictation, narration, monthly writing projects etc ) would definitely help your dd grow as a writer. The Writer's Jungle would help *you* as a parent teacher understand your child's writing development and ease your worries.

Also I would recommend fitting in a good solid grammar program as well. Possibly Easy Grammar to help her learn about sentence structure.

What Walking-Iris said. :D

Start with just The Writer's Jungle. If you like what you read, start implementing and then consider getting The Arrow or The Boomerang depending on which seems right for your dd.

I :001_wub: Bravewriter. I gush about it way too much, I'm sure.

I love it too! My son, reads at a very high level, but wouldn't write a thing without major histrionics, now voluntarily writes messages and notes and a daily sentence. All thanks to methods outlined in TWJ and the confidence it gave me to trust my gut. I am a total fangirl.

Just as long as you keep in mind, TWJ is a methodology and general approach for you the homeschool mom, not a scripted curriculum where it tells you what to cover when. Some of the other BW products get a little closer to that, but the whole BW approach is so far removed from most homeschool writing curricula that some parents are at a loss for how to use it. Anyway I agree with PPs, start with TWJ (or at least read a bunch of her blog posts) and see where you want to go from there. :)