Menu

Memoria Press Latin vs Classical Academic Press?

PeacefulChaos

I'm trying to decide between the two for Astro.

I've noticed that, especially in the older grades, CAP Latin (especially Latin Alive) is pretty pricey. :glare:

However, I think Song School Latin may be more up his alley - and, assuming LFC would follow that and be less workbook-y than Prima Latina, Latina Christiana, etc - LFC would be, too.

Plus, I like the look of it. :tongue_smilie:

But I guess I really need opinions on it. If it isn't worth the extra $$, Idk if I can justify buying it + the MP Latin for Link...

Also, I saw on the MP website that now there is First Form Latin and such - where does that go? After LC 1 and before Henle, right? So that took the place of LC 2 and added a few years? I'm sort of confused on all the options they have over there... TWTM recommends LC 1, LC 2, and then First Year Latin (that's Henle, right?) ... there is no mention of First/Second/etc Form at all.

TIA!!!!

:bigear:

Also, I saw on the MP website that now there is First Form Latin and such - where does that go? After LC 1 and before Henle, right? So that took the place of LC 2 and added a few years? I'm sort of confused on all the options they have over there... TWTM recommends LC 1, LC 2, and then First Year Latin (that's Henle, right?) ... there is no mention of First/Second/etc Form at all.

TIA!!!!

:bigear:

MP does recommend going from LC I to First Form. Here is a link to their suggested sequence:

http://www.memoriapress.com/images/book_insides/WhichLatinProgram.pdf

I used Prima starting with DD 5 and DS6 and it was what I call Just Enough. For me, it was a no brainer, because it is designed for moms who are not Latin experts. I forgot all my HS Latin -- perhaps as far back as -- high school! Prima lessons lasted about 15 minutes and the memory work that you as the mom/teacher lead is invaluable for imprinting declensions and verb endings.

We used Latina Cristiana, as well. By the time we cleared this, I felt that we needed to change from the workbook format. Along the way we dabbled with Lingua Angelica, which parses Latin hymns (along with a singing CD) and this is best used toward the last half of Cristiana. When our brains got tired of puella, puellae, we did English language readings from Memoria's Men of Ancient Rome history book, which has a lot of language enrichment in it. We needed to say goodbye to workbooks because the kids minds were not engaging very deeply after a few years.

We jumped into Lingua Latina by Hans Orberg last year. No problems jumping from the "Christian" Latin to the pre-Christian variety. It is a immersion spine text. Another exercise book, well-written, targets one change at a time. Excellent. Plus the CD of the author reading the text (a funny story involving sibling rivalries in a Roman family among other things) is wonderful.

We pick Latin up and down as much as we can. This year, with a 7th and 8th grader, the technical grammar benefits from a little explanation in English. Hope this helps. We read the immersion section we are working on to start the lesson, then spend a few minutes reviewing the margin notes which define vocab and illustrate how the grammar works. Then we work on 1-2 exercises from the separate workbook, which is entirely in Latin. The exercises take from 15-20 mintues for the kids to write out (good handwriting practice), but you could use it as a fill in the blank if needed. A supplemental college companion designed with the series is entirely in English and explains the grammar in English if there are any further confusions. You can do this is 35 min. per day -- the reading, the 1-2 exercises, and any grammar study needed.

Hope that this helps.

MP does recommend going from LC I to First Form. Here is a link to their suggested sequence:

http://www.memoriapress.com/images/book_insides/WhichLatinProgram.pdf

What confuses me is what is Latina Christiana 2 even for then? And I don't know whether I should follow the sequence recommended in twtm or what mp has listed. :confused:

I used Prima starting with DD 5 and DS6 and it was what I call Just Enough. For me, it was a no brainer, because it is designed for moms who are not Latin experts. I forgot all my HS Latin -- perhaps as far back as -- high school! Prima lessons lasted about 15 minutes and the memory work that you as the mom/teacher lead is invaluable for imprinting declensions and verb endings.

We used Latina Cristiana, as well. By the time we cleared this, I felt that we needed to change from the workbook format. Along the way we dabbled with Lingua Angelica, which parses Latin hymns (along with a singing CD) and this is best used toward the last half of Cristiana. When our brains got tired of puella, puellae, we did English language readings from Memoria's Men of Ancient Rome history book, which has a lot of language enrichment in it. We needed to say goodbye to workbooks because the kids minds were not engaging very deeply after a few years.

We jumped into Lingua Latina by Hans Orberg last year. No problems jumping from the "Christian" Latin to the pre-Christian variety. It is a immersion spine text. Another exercise book, well-written, targets one change at a time. Excellent. Plus the CD of the author reading the text (a funny story involving sibling rivalries in a Roman family among other things) is wonderful.

We pick Latin up and down as much as we can. This year, with a 7th and 8th grader, the technical grammar benefits from a little explanation in English. Hope this helps. We read the immersion section we are working on to start the lesson, then spend a few minutes reviewing the margin notes which define vocab and illustrate how the grammar works. Then we work on 1-2 exercises from the separate workbook, which is entirely in Latin. The exercises take from 15-20 mintues for the kids to write out (good handwriting practice), but you could use it as a fill in the blank if needed. A supplemental college companion designed with the series is entirely in English and explains the grammar in English if there are any further confusions. You can do this is 35 min. per day -- the reading, the 1-2 exercises, and any grammar study needed.

Hope that this helps.

Thanks!

Link is doing prima Latina this year and he likes it, so I'm thinking of keeping him going with the mp materials.

I really need something that is pretty much 'open and go' for Latin, because i have no knowledge of Latin whatsoever. I also wouldn't know when to jump from one thing to another, which is why I'm hoping to find something that Astro likes so I can just follow the list. :tongue_smilie:

What confuses me is what is Latina Christiana 2 even for then? And I don't know whether I should follow the sequence recommended in twtm or what mp has listed. :confused:

Thanks!

Link is doing prima Latina this year and he likes it, so I'm thinking of keeping him going with the mp materials.

I really need something that is pretty much 'open and go' for Latin, because i have no knowledge of Latin whatsoever. I also wouldn't know when to jump from one thing to another, which is why I'm hoping to find something that Astro likes so I can just follow the list. :tongue_smilie:

LCII is being phased out; the recommended sequence (which was completed after the most recent edition of TWTM) is PL, Latina Christiana I, then the four Forms (First Form Latin, Second Form, etc.) and then the student should be ready for Henle II. The four Forms are designed for younger students; they cover the content of Henle I but at a slower pace. My oldest has done PL, LCI, and is currently in FFL, and with the DVD's we have found it to be very much an "open and go" program, and definitely easy to use by someone (such as I) who has no prior Latin experience.

LCII is being phased out; the recommended sequence (which was completed after the most recent edition of TWTM) is PL, Latina Christiana I, then the four Forms (First Form Latin, Second Form, etc.) and then the student should be ready for Henle II. The four Forms are designed for younger students; they cover the content of Henle I but at a slower pace. My oldest has done PL, LCI, and is currently in FFL, and with the DVD's we have found it to be very much an "open and go" program, and definitely easy to use by someone (such as I) who has no prior Latin experience.

Great! This helps, big time. :)

Ok... so does anyone know anything about Song School Latin/Latin for Children/Latin Alive - the CAP sequence?

Trying to decide whether to do MP for both boys or get the CAP Latin for Astro. :)

We do Prima, then move to CAP. I like Prima, and my kids do, too. But I'm pretty sure Henle isn't where we want to go (being rather Protestant Christians).

I like the seriousness of the MP curricula. I tend to like straightforward, vanilla curricula so I can put my spin on it. I don't like when the publishers make things "cartoony" or "fun." My daughter is learning well with LFCA, though, so we'll be sticking with it.

My real goal is to be able to read in Latin some of the theological treasures available from the Middle Ages. At least give them a solid basis. If I had my dreams (allow me to have my dreams) we'd do Latin, add Greek during Logic stage and Hebrew during Rhetoric and they would be able to read the Bible in original languages. I know this is a pipe dream, but I hope to give my children a good solid basis in those languages.

We do Prima, then move to CAP. I like Prima, and my kids do, too. But I'm pretty sure Henle isn't where we want to go (being rather Protestant Christians).

I like the seriousness of the MP curricula. I tend to like straightforward, vanilla curricula so I can put my spin on it. I don't like when the publishers make things "cartoony" or "fun." My daughter is learning well with LFCA, though, so we'll be sticking with it.

My real goal is to be able to read in Latin some of the theological treasures available from the Middle Ages. At least give them a solid basis. If I had my dreams (allow me to have my dreams) we'd do Latin, add Greek during Logic stage and Hebrew during Rhetoric and they would be able to read the Bible in original languages. I know this is a pipe dream, but I hope to give my children a good solid basis in those languages.

Can you explain the bolded for me? I'm totally unfamiliar with Henle, and I'm thinking that we're Protestant as well --- just wondering if you could expound for me. :) You can PM me if you don't want to explain on here or whatever. Thanks!

Can you explain the bolded for me? I'm totally unfamiliar with Henle, and I'm thinking that we're Protestant as well --- just wondering if you could expound for me. :) You can PM me if you don't want to explain on here or whatever. Thanks!

Kara, not a problem. It's my understanding that at least part of Henle's focus is working through the Roman Catholic Mass. As Protestants, we emphasize Christ's work once accomplished on the cross, I don't want to deal with confusion from that ( ... or transubstantiation).

As I look at reviews, it looks possible that this is not a large section of the book, so YMMV.

We do like CAP for it's own sake, it is fun for my daughter. It just isn't as boring as I'd like. :lol: I'd just rather they end up reading Calvin and Luther as Henle.