Menu

Want to intergrate religion into our days

i recently found a church i love and it has inspired me alot. I haven't been active at church since I was a kid and haven't ever really taken my kids to church. I have never really taught them much about spirituality or relgiion either. Now that we are going to church every week I would like to start teaching the kids at home. I really don't even know where to start. I would like to teach them about the good morals of the bible, about God and about being a good person, etc. I have always tried to teach them to be a good person, etc, of course, but not in this way. So I am totally lost and would love some guidance. Thanks so much.

i recently found a church i love and it has inspired me alot. I haven't been active at church since I was a kid and haven't ever really taken my kids to church. I have never really taught them much about spirituality or relgiion either. Now that we are going to church every week I would like to start teaching the kids at home. I really don't even know where to start. I would like to teach them about the good morals of the bible, about God and about being a good person, etc. I have always tried to teach them to be a good person, etc, of course, but not in this way. So I am totally lost and would love some guidance. Thanks so much.

Talk to your pastor about appropriate materials for your children. This will vary by denomination. So, I could give you names of good things we've used but they may be completely inappropriate for your church.

Some churches have a book table, or their website has links to a denominational bookstore, or just lists of books available from Amazon or a local bookstore.

Advent is coming up which is a great time to learn.

I would suggest keeping it simple. I encourage you to buy a good children's Bible and read a story together every day. Then, just talk about what you can learn from the story and spend a few minutes praying together, thanking God for His blessings and asking Him for help with any needs you have.

We like The Bible in Pictures for Little Eyes, The Picture Bible for Little People, and the Family Time Bible in Pictures, all by Kenneth N. Taylor. You can find them on Amazon or eBay. The stories are told simply and in a Biblically sound manner, and questions and a Scripture reference follow each story. You and your older children could also read the corresponding story in a regular Bible before your discussion.

May God bless you as you all learn together! :)

Why don't you just read the Bible to them, a little at a time?

I have a "Mother's Book of Hours" on my other computer. It's a little booklet with different, short Christian prayers you can pray at the different "hours" of the liturgical day (early morning, 9 am., noon, 3 p.m. I think). The prayers have much teaching in themselves of the Christian faith, so you're talking to God, but also learning the faith at the same time. Praying them together is five minutes each, tops. It brings the children and you in to a place of acknowledging and thanking God regularly. Reading Scripture is great but verbally talking with God is very important, too.

If you want me to send it to you, PM me and I'll get on the other computer and do so.

Edited by milovaný

I agree with the suggestions thus far. I just wanted to add how we add "religion" to our day. We believe that, as the Bible says, we should teach our children about God all throughout the day (Deuteronomy 11:19). After breakfast we have devotions, which currently involves scripture memory practice, reading about a chapter from one of the Gospels, and some sort of devotional type lesson (currently A Child's Book of Character Building). We pray before each meal (usually just a common prayer that we recite or sing together, sometimes one of us chooses to pray), and we say a bedtime prayer when we put the kids to bed. I think that if you can get into the habbit of praying together at specific times, then it will be easier to talk about Bible-type things all throughout the day (character traits, morals, forgiveness and love, etc.)

It was really good for us when the kids and I started saying the Lord's Prayer together. We never had a habit of praying together until we started that habit of praying before we ate our lunch. Simple enough, taught by Christ Himself, and it freed me from trying to think of words to say - we could just pray with our hearts. :)