Menu

Gardeners: Is there anything I need to be doing now...

lea1

...to prepare to have a garden in the spring?

I want to put in my first garden, a square foot garden, in the spring. I have already purchased two sets of pre-made board systems (not sure what to call it- the box that sits above ground and holds the garden). I still have to purchase the mix.

Currently there is regular lawn (bermuda grass) in the area where we will put the new garden. Should we do anything to kill out the bermuda before the winter? Anything else?

I just noticed that you are far enough south to consider starting a winter garden.

I had actually thought about trying to put in a fall garden, which is why I already have the kits for the boxes. Then I changed my mind because we were just getting started with school, my husband was (still is) working out of town a lot and did (does) not have time to help and I was (am) a bit stressed. So I think I will pass on the winter garden but I definitely want to make sure I am ready for the spring.

My new fall project. I have a large sandy area that our above ground pool used to sit on that is now a big weed area. I planned to turn it into a garden next spring, and now I know what to do. Sheet mulching. I have been saving cardboard for a few months now in preparation, but I was going to wait until spring. Now I'm going to do it this fall so it's ready by spring.

In the past, the only things I've done with my garden areas in the fall was to spread mulched leaves and grass over the garden area and turn it. By spring they've mostly composted and there are a ton of earth worms in the soil. Early spring I add a 1-2 inch layer of bagged dirt to amend the soil, turn it, and then wait until late spring to start planting.