Menu

LCHF - cranky and craving

IME, the first 1-2 weeks are the hardest. Even after 1 week though, things eased up for me considerably. By 2 weeks, the worst had mostly passed. It does get easier, and as weird as it is, if you don't cheat, you really will find you are not very hungry and have almost no cravings for anything sweet. It is much easier to feel satiated.

Make sure you are eating enough. In those first few weeks, I'd be more generous with acceptable snacks, etc. Get enough fat and protein. Make sure you have acceptable snacks on hand, ready to go, and eat them often so that you can keep your cravings and blood sugar in check. Deviled eggs, almond butter on celery, leftover/precooked meats to snack on, LC veggies like peppers available, etc. Consider drinking some homemade bone broths with sea salt.

It gets much.much easier! Hang in there.

My cravings went away in less than a week. It is really wierd how much better it gets when that 1st phase passes. When I eat carbs, I get so hungry that I.have.to.eat.NOW! After the cravings go away, I can get hungry, but if I don't eat, no big deal, I'll get something later.

If you are hungry, be sure to eat a snack (or 2!) Don't let yourself get to the point that you will eat anything and make a poor choice.

Best wishes.

It was less than a week for me, also. But, make sure you are absolutely not eating any unintended carbs. As long as you don't eat carbs, the cravings should not come back. It's important to be sure that you are eating enough fat (even though that goes against everything we've been taught :tongue_smilie:).

FWIW, I don't do well if I don't get enough carbs. I've come to the conclusion that I have a rather high metabolism and burn through them quickly. I would take the advice of those who have BTDT and came out the better for it, but don't feel bad if it doesn't work for you. Just modify it until you find what does. :001_smile: