Menu

Approaching 50 - energy levels dropping?

I had a pretty strenuous day yesterday and today I'm wiped out. I feel like this is happening more to me these days: I just don't bounce back as easily. I'm not ill, I just take longer to recover. My doctor says that my hormone levels are menopausal, if that makes a difference.

For reference, yesterday I: tidied the house, swept the kitchen floor and stairs, stripped one bed and washed the sheets, collected and washed all the towels, dug out six barrow-loads of leaf mould and mulched the blueberries, dug out two barrow-loads of loam to fill up a raised bed, weeded for around an hour, made compost (forking grass clippings and mixing it with scrunched paper) for about an hour, brought in an armful of wood for the fire, walked the dog for an hour, made a couple of meals, drove to Dundee and back (half hour each way) to deliver Calvin to an activity, packed and unpacked the dishwasher.

I was pretty tired by the end of the day, slept 8 1/2 hours and.... well, I'm still tired.

Laura

That does sound a very busy, strenuous day, but I know exactly what you mean. I'm 48 and days that I would have easily taken in my stride just a couple of years ago leave me feeling totally drained and exhausted these days. I always wake tired and fuzzy headed.

I've recently tried to look after myself better, getting more outside exercise, eating very healthily, and making sure I always wind down and get to bed at a reasonable time. So far I'm feeling a bit healthier, but no less tired.

I've been wondering whether energy levels return to normal post-menopause? Whether it's the effect of the hormones that's knocking me out, similarly to when you're pregnant and suffering morning sickness? I'm certainly hoping so.

Laura, your day yesterday does sound like it was full, both mentally and physically. You worked in many different areas of management -- your home, yard, children, dog, meals, and maintaining the family schedule. That could be more tiring than working for several hours on one project. Also, haven't you been under stress lately with your husband's search for employment? Have your responsibilities increased? You may be adjusting to the changes in your life, and that takes energy, too.

I'm nearing 46, and when I put in a day like that, even if I sleep well, I may be a bit "draggy" the following day, though not always. Eating lots of protein and veggies helps me, so we have many "Meal Salads" (greens + veggies + nuts/seeds + beans/chicken/fish/meat). I start off every morning with a workout (treadmill) or walk (track), a shower, and four eggs (believe it or not). My cholesterol/HDL/LDL levels are all outstanding. If I don't have the protein, my energy just dies out. If I don't have the vegetables, my immune system crashes. And water is life.

Since I started exercising 6x/week for at least 30 minutes, I have incredibly much more energy than I used to. But it seems as though you exercise consistently -- you certainly had enough yesterday! :001_smile:

Most of the moms I know with children my children's ages (5, 5 & 7) are in their mid-30s, and they have plenty of energy. I have to plan heavy work days more carefully, especially since my husband travels so much. I can't get into heavy-duty yardwork/housework and still carry the load all week while he's away. I also don't have a thyroid (on medication), so I get to blame low energy on that, if all else fails. It's good for sympathy, at least. ;)

I plan to be in the best shape ever by 50, but I'll use strategies to achieve things, rather than brute strength. You know, strategies -- like delegation-to-offspring. As in, "Calvin, please dig in this mulch. And, Hobbes, load and unload the dishwasher." :D

I'll be 50 in January and for the past couple of years or so I've found that my energy level fluctuates a lot. I can go for a week or two being Super Woman and accomplishing unbelievable things, but I also have draggy times where I can barely manage to get the basics done for several days. I just try to roll with it as much as possible, cutting myself some slack on the dragging days and making up for it during the energetic times.

I am 45 and I couldn't do all that . I have always has very low stamina and strength. I recently had vit D levels checked and they were below 30 even after a year of supplements. I am now taking a mega dose once a week. I can see a difference in energy level.

You do tire out faster as you age. My mom complains about that at age 70, that she can't do the work she did at 60 even.

.....That could be more tiring than working for several hours on one project. Also, haven't you been under stress lately with your husband's search for employment? Have your responsibilities increased? You may be adjusting to the changes in your life, and that takes energy, too.

.........I can't get into heavy-duty yardwork/housework and still carry the load all week while he's away. .......

I plan to be in the best shape ever by 50, but I'll use strategies to achieve things, rather than brute strength. You know, strategies -- like delegation-to-offspring. As in, "Calvin, please dig in this mulch. And, Hobbes, load and unload the dishwasher." :D

Part of the problem is that Husband is only here intermittently now. He's down in London looking for a job, coming back most weekends, but not this one. To be honest, I've always done most of the heavy digging in the garden, because my back is much stronger than his. But he would have done the driving and some of the housework if he had been here.

Normally, the children would have been helping out too. Hobbes is away at a scout camp (in fact, I just got a call to say that the minibus has broken down and they won't be back until.... well, who knows? It's 8:30 now) and Calvin was at a debating training day. So it was all me.... Calvin is busier than he was anyway, now he's studying for the IB - he had about ten hours of homework this weekend - so there's adjustment all over.

I eat pretty well, and I walk every day as well as working out in the garden at weekends. I need to learn to pace myself now that I work almost full time and don't have so much backup at home. And it's going to be a late night tonight.

Thanks

Laura

I take a multivitamin plus extra D (Scotland has low light levels), fish oil and calcium. I also eat a lot of Marmite (full of B vitamins as it is made from yeast).

Thanks

Laura

Some general Adrenal Support may not hurt either. But as the other poster said, this was a full day. So, today make it a lounge day with lots of tea/Mike's or coffee with whipping cream...and chocolate. ;)

Some general Adrenal Support may not hurt either. But as the other poster said, this was a full day. So, today make it a lounge day with lots of tea/Mike's or coffee with whipping cream...and chocolate. ;)

I was determined that today would be light. Hobbes was still away, Calvin was home and doing his homework....

Ran some errands this morning: picked up the newspaper, got some cash, took the dog for a (short) walk, bought some pansies for the containers by the front door. Came home and planted the pansies. All easy, all well and good.

Then realised that the lawn needed mowing. Calvin offered to do that when he finished his homework, but it's been blowing a gale the last few days so I said I'd pick up all the sticks that had fallen on the lawn. Oh, and clear away the mole hills...... Two hours later it was done. Then the mower ran out of petrol, so I went and got more, came home with pizzas (see, I'm trying to make things easier on myself) and then set out to pick up Hobbes from camp. Got a phone call on arrival at the scout hut that the minibus has broken down. This could be a long night. And no G&T until I've picked him up. Maybe hot chocolate....

Never mind, my boss is away, so tomorrow should be an easy day at work...

Laura

Got a phone call on arrival at the scout hut that the minibus has broken down. This could be a long night. And no G&T until I've picked him up. Maybe hot chocolate....

Never mind, my boss is away, so tomorrow should be an easy day at work...

Laura

Oh my! Another reason for chocolate of the finest quality - whatever that is in Scotland. And I do so envy you a good wind - we are looking at F97 today. :glare:

And I just thought of this, too, as the sun is pleasantly beginning to set over New Jersey... :001_smile:

You are living rather northerly on the globe (~56 degrees north), and perhaps the shorter days as autumn approaches have had more of an impact on your energy level than you've realized. Did you feel this way last year at this time?

Here at 40 degrees north, I do notice sometime around mid-October that I feel the loss of light. We unconsciously compensate for sunshine with artificial lighting, but it's simply not the same. I wonder if walking in the morning sunlight would boost your energy throughout the day?

In conclusion of the safest way of ensuring adequate vitamin D, getting at least some early morning direct sunlight is very beneficial for all of us. The best sun exposure during summer would be 10 minutes approximately of early morning sun before 9 am or late afternoon after 5 pm.

Or, something like this or this (not at all saying you have SADD, though). Or, welcome the approaching season, light a candle, put another log on the fire, and curl up with a good book and some warm tea.

My dh noticed his energy levels dropped about age 50. The joke in our house is he's the hare, I'm the tortoise. Energy-wise he's always been able to run circles around me. When he was in construction he could easily put in a physically hard 8-10 hour day, now he can't. He's used to going, so it took him about a year to find the right balance without getting frustrated.

I am listening in closely to this thread. I am only 42 (okay, about to be 43) but I have been so tired in the last year or so. I am taking VItamin D and Fish Oil, and try and have cacao and maca daily. I did take an Adrenal Support pill (different herbs) for a while, but I didn't notice a big difference. About 4 months ago I started taking continuous bc pills for some hormone issues I was experiencing (severe stomach pain around ovulation due to inflammation) and that seems to help. But this week is my "off week" with no bc pills, and I definitely feel exhausted.

I know exercise helps, so I try to get to the gym 3 times a week.

I certainly have less energy now, at 50 than I did 10 years ago. I also take much more time to bounce back and it is harder to compensate for stress of all types. I'm not menopausal yet, but getting close. I think it is a part of the aging process. Exercise, diet, stress management, etc. help, but aging takes a toll.

Laura, I live near your lattitude and I know what you mean about low-light. It is hard to get enough, but I encourage you to try. It makes a sizable difference for me.

I also second the suggestion upthread to get plenty of protein. That, too, has made a sizable difference in my energy levels.

That all said... you did tackle an awful lot this weekend. That was enough to wear me out at 25, let alone... umm... whatever I turned today. :blush:

Laura, I live near your lattitude and I know what you mean about low-light. It is hard to get enough, but I encourage you to try. It makes a sizable difference for me.

I also second the suggestion upthread to get plenty of protein. That, too, has made a sizable difference in my energy levels.

That all said... you did tackle an awful lot this weekend. That was enough to wear me out at 25, let alone... umm... whatever I turned today. :blush:

Happy Birthday, Audrey!!

I will turn 49 in a few months, and my energy levels are not what they were a few years ago. I used to stay up all night to tackle a few big projects every once in a while. I certainly can't do that anymore. I would feel it for a week. I am finding I have to pace myself more.

I recently turned 50 also and I can't imagine a day like that without being exhausted. I agree with the B-12 and D3 supplementation. I had your symptoms with the addition that my hair was falling out a lot more than normal and a small weight gain that would not go away when dieting. I had my thyroid checked and found out I needed a small dose of Armour thyroid. It helped tremendously!

I want to jump in here about the protein too......I went on a diet about a month ago and lost some weight, but also lost A BUNCH of energy. The calorie load was good, but the protein was too low. I added more protein and cut out more carbs. The energy came back somewhat, but still not a bunch. I then added back some good carbs - berries, oats, that type, and my energy improved

when i was in my 20's i worked as a meat lugger, personally unloading 2 trucks of meat a day, 200 pieces per truck, each weighing from 130 to very occasionally 300 pounds. In my 60's I could strain my bicep lifting a heavy coffee mug or my wife's luggage.

I could do 30 "extended" pushups, where my arms are stretched out straight in front of me instead of directly under my shoulders (see if you can find anyone even in their 20's, who can do even one of those). Now after working up monthly from one, i can do 5 regular pushups with difficulty.

In my 40's I worked at the office as much as 30 hours in a row, without food or sleep; I ran 4 miles a day until i was 50. Now at 70 I get tired if I study for a 4-6 hour day, or sometimes if I just read the Ny Times, and I sleep 9 hours a night; I cannot always walk once around my block.

Could it be I need more vitamins or am I perhaps slowing down? I recommend living healthy, but suggest accepting that age has its consequences. I also learned that more exercise does not necessarily lead to longer fitness - you can overdo it. I suggest moderation in all things. I have also learned to let others help me with heavy items.

i apologize if i do not seem to take this as seriously as it deserves. in truth i envy you your remaining energy indeed, diminished though it seems to you. :001_smile:

Edited by mathwonk

I'm just over 50 now, but I feel like I have more energy now than I did when my children were younger! I think I sleep better and have more time to relax.

However, the one time that I did feel really tired constantly -- about four years ago -- I found out I was quite low in iron. After about a month of taking iron supplements I was back to normal.

Your day sounded very busy to me though! I think anyone would have been tired after a day like that!

when i was in my 20's i worked as a meat lugger, personally unloading 2 trucks of meat a day, 200 pieces per truck, each weighing from 130 to very occasionally 300 pounds. In my 60's I could strain my bicep lifting a heavy coffee mug or my wife's luggage.

I could do 30 "extended" pushups, where my arms are stretched out straight in front of me instead of directly under my shoulders (see if you can find anyone even in their 20's, who can do even one of those). Now after working up monthly from one, i can do 5 regular pushups with difficulty.

In my 40's I worked at the office as much as 30 hours in a row, without food or sleep; I ran 4 miles a day until i was 50. Now at 70 I get tired if I study for a 4-6 hour day, or sometimes if I just read the Ny Times, and I sleep 9 hours a night; I cannot always walk once around my block.

Could it be I need more vitamins or am I perhaps slowing down? I recommend living healthy, but suggest accepting that age has its consequences. I also learned that more exercise does not necessarily lead to longer fitness - you can overdo it. I suggest moderation in all things. I have also learned to let others help me with heavy items.

i apologize if i do not seem to take this as seriously as it deserves. in truth i envy you your remaining energy indeed, diminished though it seems to you. :001_smile:

I like your post. My mom would definitely agree! (no offense...I'm no youngster myself, compared to many ladies here. :D)

This was me a few months ago. I went to a doctor who recommended I begin taking a multi-vitamin, D, Fish oil, and calcium and an adrenal supplement. At the same time, I heard about marksdailyapple.com and from several sources heard I should try it. So we as a family began to eliminate all grains and dairy and sugars and processed foods. Our food pyramid is like a base of veggies, a middle of protein from meat sources, and a top of fruits, especially "berries" and cherries but all fruits. I dropped 20 lbs but more than that I feel so much better. I stopped taking the supplements and still feel great, although I will take them, it was more like a test. I've since read that we should eat 3 platefuls of veggies per day. Holy smokes - how?! Anyway, I really don't love veggies, but this is my goal. We start our day with protein and try to have some protein every 4 hours. We've gone from needing carbs and crashing when they are gone, to sustained endurance and no crashes or huge hunger struggles. I no longer have any 2-4pm crash. It is an unreal difference!

Also, I've searched online recently for how to reverse several major illnesses' progressions, and for every illness I happened to look up, this same diet was the key to helping via diet change. That was encouraging.

HTH!