Menu

Work Box Ideas

Janell

My son is in Kindergarten and he does a work box each day on his own either before we start school or after. I'm running out of ideas though. I don't want my boxes to all be the same everyday so that he gets bored. I'm looking for some suggestions of some things to add to the list.

Here are some of the ideas I do regularly:

1. Highlights magazine or Zoo magazine(we have 100s!)

2. Practice workpage with a couple cursive letters to write for practice

3. playdough

4. different puzzles

5. Books on tape

6. Cutting/gluing activities

So I could use some suggestions. I went on pinterest and looked for some ideas, but a lot of the ideas were geared towards preschool like shape sorting and color regonition activities which he already knows.

:bigear:

I have a K'er too. Here are some ideas we use:

1) Tangrams or game like Architecto

2) Wedgits with task cards

3) Lego free build using only pieces in the box. Can include simple starter like "build a space station"

4) Match plastic animals to world map placemat

5) Potholder loom weaving craft. DS is making these for grandmother Christmas gifts. He adds a few loops each day. The set I linked to is very high quality with metal loom and nice cotton loops.

6) Create geography scene from playdough using book Geography from A to Z. Include appropriate animal figures.

7) Clock reading worksheet

8) Small items with price stickers and a bag of coins. You can check at the end or include an answer key.

9) Build something from Lester Walker's Block Building for Children.

10. Mazes, color book, or color-by-number.

11. Chores

I am stuck on ideas for K too. Here are some of our ideas.

1.geobaords

2. magnetic foam shapes and cookie sheet

3. Kindergarten printables on various themes...this week is Legos from 1+1+1=1. Target has a small lego box that looks like a wipe container kind of in the storage section. I am filling it with random legos and each day we take a pic of his creation.

4. stamping letters and words

5. Rush Hour Jr.

6. Rummikub for sequencing letters and numbers

3) Lego free build using only pieces in the box. Can include simple starter like "build a space station"

4) Match plastic animals to world map placemat

5) Potholder loom weaving craft. DS is making these for grandmother Christmas gifts. He adds a few loops each day. The set I linked to is very high quality with metal loom and nice cotton loops.

6) Create geography scene from playdough using book Geography from A to Z. Include appropriate animal figures.

7) Clock reading worksheet

8) Small items with price stickers and a bag of coins. You can check at the end or include an answer key.

9) Build something from Lester Walker's Block Building for Children.

10. Mazes, color book, or color-by-number.

11. Chores

Fantastic ideas!!!!!!!!!!!

I will have to google Tangrams...never heard of that. Not sure what Wedgits are either:confused: sounds interesting though. i'll have to check that out

I am stuck on ideas for K too. Here are some of our ideas.

1.geobaords

5. Rush Hour Jr.

What are geoboards and RUsh hour Jr?

My K'er is young (just turned 5 - Junior Kindergarten here in Ontario), but honestly... I'm overwhelmed reading these lists. These are all great activities, but I don't quite understand why you need so much stuff BEFORE you start school.

School for my ds5 is just some simple writing, reading, math, logic type activities. Other than that, at this age, they need to be outside, to be doing physical stuff as much as possible, running around if they can or entertaining themselves with books or toys.

Plus, it is very likely that your 5-yo's tolerance for boredom is waaaaay higher than your own. He may not mind at all doing the same activities in a rotation, perhaps knowing that on Monday he does ___, Tuesday he does ___ etc.

Esp with an oldest child (here's the advice from an older mama!), I would do whatever I could up-front to minimize his impression that it was my job to keep him entertained.

When he's finished school, he can be excused to do his own thing. My 5-yo regularly comes running up asking for tape or scissors or paper or string or whatever (if I was more Montessori or our house were tidier, I'd have these arrayed attractively where he could get at them himself). If the request is reasonable, I give him what he's asking for, and he runs off back to whatever he's working on. Bonus: they LOVE surprising me with their independent projects!

My K'er is young (just turned 5 - Junior Kindergarten here in Ontario), but honestly... I'm overwhelmed reading these lists. These are all great activities, but I don't quite understand why you need so much stuff BEFORE you start school.

School for my ds5 is just some simple writing, reading, math, logic type activities. Other than that, at this age, they need to be outside, to be doing physical stuff as much as possible, running around if they can or entertaining themselves with books or toys.

Every kid is different. We use these kind of fun workboxes to break up the routine. It also forces me to bring down some things that would otherwise languish forgotten in the closet. Whenever I try to cut back to just the basics I get pushback from my son. I have fond memories of fun activities and holiday themed projects from my own elementary school years, so I see it as the same kind of thing. We don't use activities like this everyday and not first thing, but maybe the OP's child needs a warm up before going to academics, or maybe she needs the time to take care of littles or make breakfast, who knows?

I'm not sure what having fun workboxes has to to with spending time outside :confused: My DS plays outside, bikes 15 miles with me once or twice a week, does to 2-3 hikes per week with friends in a local nature group, and does swim lessons. A 20 minute workbox is not limiting that here, and sometimes provides a nice transition to quiet time.

Edited by RoundAbout

Plus, it is very likely that your 5-yo's tolerance for boredom is waaaaay higher than your own. He may not mind at all doing the same activities in a rotation, perhaps knowing that on Monday he does ___, Tuesday he does ___ etc.

Esp with an oldest child (here's the advice from an older mama!), I would do whatever I could up-front to minimize his impression that it was my job to keep him entertained.

When he's finished school, he can be excused to do his own thing. My 5-yo regularly comes running up asking for tape or scissors or paper or string or whatever (if I was more Montessori or our house were tidier, I'd have these arrayed attractively where he could get at them himself). If the request is reasonable, I give him what he's asking for, and he runs off back to whatever he's working on. Bonus: they LOVE surprising me with their independent projects!

DS is in kindergarten, not preK. So these things are expected in kindergarten. his core cirriculum is reading/phonics/math and science and social studies are once a week.

The workbox systemm is for him to do on his own time before or after school when he's bored and wants to do something fun. He doesn't have to do it all, he can pick and choose from the box for that day. If he wants to color there's crayons in the workbox. if he wants to cut there are scissors in there too. The extra stuff is just for fun and practice in a hands on way.

DS does plenty of playing outdoors and nature hikes etc...

I will have to google Tangrams...never heard of that. Not sure what Wedgits are either:confused: sounds interesting though. i'll have to check that out.

Wedgits are here You can sometimes find sets cheaper at Ross or Marshalls. There are design cards you can buy that make for an interesting visual spatial puzzle.

You can buy a set of tangrams or make them out of paper using a printable set online. Then you just use the shapes to try to match the pictures (also easily found online).

Origami might be another idea, but my DS finds the interesting ones too frustrating right now.

Every kid is different. We use these kind of fun workboxes to break up the routine. It also forces me to bring down some things that would otherwise languish forgotten in the closet. Whenever I try to cut back to just the basics I get pushback from my son. I have fond memories of fun activities and holiday themed activities from my own elementary school years, so I see it as the same kind of thing. We don't use activities like this everyday and not first thing, but maybe the OP's child needs a warm up before going to academics, or maybe she needs the time to take care of littles or make breakfast, who knows?

We don't start school untill around 10am in our house so i use the workboxes for DS to do before or after school when he gets bored. Also, twice a week in the mornings i'm at bible study and MOPS group so he takes his workbox along to do while he is there to keep him busy. then we do school when we get home around 11:30am. So that's why we sometimes to our workboxes in the morning...not always, but some of the time. :001_smile: Besides I don't see the harm in letting him read a highlights magazine or a Zoo book magazine before school:confused:

It's not my method either. I just schedule fun activities during school time, but I only have one child. Others might use work boxes for their younger kids in order to keep them busy while their older kids are finishing up school work. I do like the idea of forcing oneself to pull fun little things out of the closet that aren't really school-related (or related to what is being taught at the moment), though. I also see so many fun things on blogs that are below level for DD, but I know she would still enjoy doing them. They would be a good thing for a work box...something she can do for fun on her own time, but would reinforce what she already knows.

More and more, I'm becoming inspired to create a weekly work box for DD.

You've got some great suggestions, but let me add a couple more for your consideration:

"Treasure Boxes" - these are small containers which have objects for counting, sorting, patterning, etc. (buttons, colored paperclips, tiles, links...)

Unifix Cubes

File Folder Games - a google search will give you some ideas for those

Magnets - could be letter tiles, geometric shapes... there are all kinds of kits out there these days

Dry Erase Board/markers and maybe a map or some such that's coated so the markers can be used on it

Kumon workbooks

You've got some great suggestions, but let me add a couple more for your consideration:

"Treasure Boxes" - these are small containers which have objects for counting, sorting, patterning, etc. (buttons, colored paperclips, tiles, links...)

Unifix Cubes

File Folder Games - a google search will give you some ideas for those

Magnets - could be letter tiles, geometric shapes... there are all kinds of kits out there these days

Dry Erase Board/markers and maybe a map or some such that's coated so the markers can be used on it

Kumon workbooks

GOOD idea! i forgot about those! thanks :D

Oh, cool. Looks like the pattern block mats would work with the pattern blocks set we have. Thanks!

PS - Love those Playdoh math mats. Soooooo bummed I didn't do this kind of thing with DD when she was about three. She would have loved it!

If you have pattern blocks, this site has a large variety of free printables. I put these on DDs trays often.

http://prekinders.com/pattern-blocks/