Menu

any hints on how to train teething puppy not to bite?

I know she is only 11 weeks old, but our puppy is pretty mouthy. We tell her no and push her away whenever she tries to gnaw on us, but it doesn't stop her from trying.

She is a fast learner and is almost completely house-trained at this point (we've only had her for 9 days) and has learned sit and down.

So how do we train her to NOT do something that she naturally wants to do.

We have provided her with plenty of toys to chew on as well as a hoof (which she loves).

I'm thinking the push away may come off as you 'playing along'. We turned our backs on our last puppy, kept our hands away from him, did not wave them around or point at him, and did not give the behavior attention. Then we would redirect to an appropriate chew toy---and praise, praise, praise chewing on the toy/nylabone. It takes a long time with some dogs.

Also, keep up the obedience training and ask her to perform an obedience command as a redirect, then give the chew toy as a reward.

We also had specific times (evening in our case) when we would take his favorite bone out and encourage him to chew on it.

Getting her tired can also help decrease the biting behavior.

I'm thinking the push away may come off as you 'playing along'. We turned our backs on our last puppy, kept our hands away from him, did not wave them around or point at him, and did not give the behavior attention. Then we would redirect to an appropriate chew toy---and praise, praise, praise chewing on the toy/nylabone. It takes a long time with some dogs.

Getting her tired can also help decrease the biting behavior.

This is what we always heard too. Turn your back on him/her. They get the message pretty fast.

I'd heard to yip like another puppy would (and also provide a proper chewing toy instead). It worked well with our one dog. Our other dog is 9 years old and still mouthy, so I'm only 50:50 on that method... I'll keep telling myself it is because we got her when she was older and set in her ways...

:iagree:

When you push him away he very likely thinks you're playing.

You want to totally, instantly ignore him. Turn your back or look up at the ceiling like the most interesting thing in the world is there. Cross your arms. When he calms down give him an appropriate chew toy.