Menu

How to accelerate AAR Pre-1?

Esse Quam Videri

DD is almost ready to read, but not quite. We just bought AAR Pre-1, and I knew it would be a lot of review, but after looking through the materials I'm wondering how to implement it so we can get through it in a semester. Did anyone skip parts, combine upper/lowercase study, or move through the program quickly another way?

DD is comfortable with letters and their sounds, but not rhyming, saying the words sssslllloooowwwlllyyy, and the other additional language exploration exercises in Pre-1.

We are accelerating through it right now. We did abut 3 lessons a day up until now, and I slowed down some this week (around lesson 52). We read from the books, went over the letter and did the phonological awareness activity. I bought it used so we didnt have the coloring/activity pages for uppercase, but we do them for lowercase but only as a coloring page. It has been worth it even though ds knew letters and sounds going into it. The phonological awareness activities have been a great help.

You could easily combine upper and lower case and only have your child color the pages, as opposed to doing the craft. And really, since she knows the sounds, I would simply do a quick review each day and then just do the included language lesson. They repeat too, so if she's mastered one, you could just review as needed and move onto the next lesson.

I think the most important thing is that the language exploration part of each lesson be done in order. You can teach A and a, but don't teach the language exploration part of the lesson for lowercase A unless you have completed the language exploration part of the lesson for uppercase B-Z.

And good point! I hadn't thought about that.

We skipped the last third of the book because we knew all the letter sounds - what we really wanted were the phonological awareness activities, and they were a big help :).

:iagree: We did the same thing. I actually used the letter pages as "art" projects for my son instead of using them with the curriculum.