Menu

Soups and stews...

I like quick and easy recipes on weekdays. I usually have chicken broth made and frozen in mason jars.

I thaw a jar at a time and add carrots, celery, turnip, chopped up non-nitrite hot dogs or sausages. If you leave out meat, you can break an egg into it and stir until the white is solid. Season with sea salt, pepper, rosemary and thyme.

I've been eagerly awaiting soup season :D

I make chicken soup once a week or so (whenever I roast a chicken). I add mushrooms to the stock, and sometimes to the soup. They really kick it up a notch. Even my oldest, who is not a chicken soup fan, will eat it that way.

Here are my other standbys:

Potato Leek

Potato and cheddar

Creamy scallop chowder (this is to die for, seriously--like restaurant quality, even when I used less cream and more milk)

And KungFuPanda's Zuppa Toscana (might not actually be hers, but she shared it here, and our whole family loves it)

I can't wait until I can actually hit the grocery store and buy some soup ingredients!

Our family favorite is potato sausage soup.

It's pretty easy, and the best part is that the sausage continues to flavor it, so it actually tastes better as leftovers.

Brown some spicy italian sausage. spice is best for this, because it flavors the soup; the potatoes will absorb a lot of the "punch." You can use sweet Italian if you really don't want the spicy, but I don't recommend the Andouille; it makes the soup a really funny color and has some flavors that just don't go.

Let the sausage cool, then slice into rounds.

Fill soup or stock pot with water, chop potatoes into bite-sized bits to help them cook better, add salt to taste. Add white pepper to taste, and sage. Add cooled, sliced, drained sausage to pot. Cover with lid, set to very slow boil, cook all day. Watch for liquid level-- if water boils off entirely, add more as needed. This is a vegetable stock; no need for chicken broth. If it is too thin, you may thicken at the end with instant potatoes, but this won't be necessary if you take the lid off and boil off some water at the end.

Serve when hungry.

It's pretty much impossible to mess this up, other than watching the liquid level in the pot.

I've been eagerly awaiting soup season :D

I make chicken soup once a week or so (whenever I roast a chicken). I add mushrooms to the stock, and sometimes to the soup. They really kick it up a notch. Even my oldest, who is not a chicken soup fan, will eat it that way.

Here are my other standbys:

Potato Leek

Potato and cheddar

Creamy scallop chowder (this is to die for, seriously--like restaurant quality, even when I used less cream and more milk)

And KungFuPanda's Zuppa Toscana (might not actually be hers, but she shared it here, and our whole family loves it)

I can't wait until I can actually hit the grocery store and buy some soup ingredients!

Yum! And double bonus points for including recipes w/bacon!

I used to have a recipe for leek and potato soup that I adapted to leave out the cream. I lost it though and for 16 years dh has been complaining that I can't find it. I guess I'm going to have to try and figure it out again. I think I used chicken broth. I'm in the mood for creamy though. Thanks for all your suggestions. Can't wait to try something new!

All of these would serve 3-6 people, depending on whether it is a main or side course and how big or little or hungry you are. In all cases, salt and pepper to suit your tastes and needs.

Roasted Butternut Squash Soup

Peel a medium to large butternut squash (or pumpkin), cut into chunks. Lightly oil a cookie sheet, add the squash, sprinkle with salt and pepper. Roast in a 350°F oven for 30 minutes.

While squash is roasting, cook 6 slices of good, diced bacon in a large saucepan. Remove bacon when crisp. Drain all but 2 tbsp. of the grease and add 2 medium chopped shallots (or 1 small chopped white onion). Cook until shallots are translucent and soft, but not brown. Add in a large pinch of nutmeg, then dump all the roasted squash into the saucepan. Add enough chicken broth to cover the squash, then add a cup of milk or cream. Bring to a boil. Remove from heat and purée with a hand blender. Serve topped with the reserved bacon, a dollop of crème fraiche (or light sour cream) and some fresh chopped parsley.

Roasted Cauliflower Soup

Do the same as the above except:

Roast a medium to large head of cauliflower that you have separated into flowerettes for 30-45 minutes.

Instead of nutmeg, add some fresh or dried thyme and some fresh or dried sage -- if dried, just a pinch of each will do, and once you add them to the onions, cook them another minute to release the flavours.

White Bean and Escarole Soup

In a large saucepan, cook up 1/2 lb. of hot sausage (can be Italian, chorizo or another spicy sausage, casing removed if it has one). Add in 1 small chopped onion and 2 rib of chopped celery. Cook until onion is soft and just starting to brown. Add 3 cups chicken broth and 2 cups cannellini (white kidney) beans. Bring to a boil and add in 1 medium head of thinly sliced escarole. If you don't have escarole, you can use romaine for a similar flavour, or spinach or kale or swiss chard for a stronger flavour.

This is my favorite soup. Everyone loves it. I use it to cater luncheons.

It is a chicken soup with a creamy, tomato-ey base. I usually bake salted and peppered boneless chicken pieces until just done, then shred them and add them to the soup instead of using a whole chicken. I saute the veggies in olive oil, add the spices (don't leave out the tarragon or paprika!) and flour, then whisk in the broth. Bring to a boil and add the tomatoes and cream, then stir in the fresh spinach at the end. It is SO good.