Menu

What's with the ads?

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

seekinghim45

Class of 2013 acceptances/decisions

Nan, yes. Walt seemed a bit sad as he wrote to the other universities. Ursinus was the toughest. It's not a high rated school, but it's one of the CTCL colleges, and he really liked it. We didn't even know it existed until they contacted us. I was impressed by the student diversity as well as their dedication and demeanor. They have a science program sponsored by HHMI that sounds out of this world. I could picture him there immediately, but we just couldn't see having the debt.

Aww, Dot, I will now think of you and your son every time I pass by Ursinus. It is only 20 minutes from us. ;)

I am so glad the selection and decision process is OVER for 2/3 of my children!

Me too! Middle DS was accepted at his first choice, and we are very happy with his decision. Housing has been secured and deposits paid. All that is left is to wait for IB scores to see how many college credits he will receive.

Luckymama: Congrats to your daughter. I went to U of D :)

Me too! Middle DS was accepted at his first choice, and we are very happy with his decision. Housing has been secured and deposits paid. All that is left is to wait for IB scores to see how many college credits he will receive.

Luckymama: Congrats to your daughter. I went to U of D :)

Congrats to you and your ds, Penguin. Small world :)

She was also accepted with full tuition to a great honors program at the state university.

Full tuition! That's really great!

Love this thread! Congrats to all. :hurray:

Yikes, Ds's sophomore year is winding down. August - March is going to be a very busy time for us with college visits. Ds can't go in April and May next year - it's a crazy time for the rocketry team and well, he needs a good season that year so he's got something impressive to say about one of his main extracurriculars for fall admissions. I can't believe it's time to gear up. Better get the map out and start discussing with dh how in the world we are going to break this down into reasonably sized trips.

Creekland, this will be your last "start" correct? I, on the other hand, will be beginning the "three boys go to college in five years" stretch. Since you've been through it, I'm counting on you to NOT leave the Hive until after my last spreads his wings. You have an extra three years of participation required! Jan and Nan may not leave either. I'm warning the three of you...I'll.be.lost.!!!! :willy_nilly:

Faith

Full tuition! That's really great!

Faith

Thanks!!! I did word that wrong, though as she has a full ride minus incidental living expenses and part of the cost of her books. They don't call it that, but it covers tuition, fees, room & board.

Creekland, this will be your last "start" correct? I, on the other hand, will be beginning the "three boys go to college in five years" stretch. Since you've been through it, I'm counting on you to NOT leave the Hive until after my last spreads his wings. You have an extra three years of participation required! Jan and Nan may not leave either. I'm warning the three of you...I'll.be.lost.!!!! :willy_nilly:

Faith

You're correct that next year's high school senior is my last. It's really hard to fathom and even harder to look at the kids at school with him and know I went to their elementary concerts and many other things over the years.

I can't guarantee sticking around as we have no idea yet exactly what we're going to do (hubby and I). I do feel like family here, so I doubt I'll be able to just leave "cold turkey." Jane in NC has stuck around a bit after homeschooling - I may copy her... I want to see where some of yours (collective) end up. Our Hive has great kids in it who give me hope for the world.

And I know a few are curious as to how the pre-med thing turns out. I can't guarantee that one either. I've never been one to force middle son to want to be a doctor. He may choose something else. Only time will tell.

I told all my boys that as long as they aren't pimps or illegal drug dealers, I'm ok with what they choose. ;)

Penguin - Congratulations! That is wonderful!

Stormbay - Better and better!

Wow, all these full rides!

Lisa and Stormbay - Thank you for the comforting words. I keep reminding myself of them.

And our own news - I guess it pays to wait for the last moment. An out of state state school raised their offer to a half ride, making them the cheapest option yet. For those that are interested - our in-state flagship did offer a scholarship (something we were very surprised about) but he would have to take the GED or receive a diploma from a cover school or our local school department to metriculate. This last is not something that is done in Mass. as far as I know. Fortunately, he doesn't want to go there and at the moment, it would be cheaper for him to go to the out of state school, anyway. He picked one of the most expensive options. They offered him more money when he asked. It still comes nowhere near the half rides and third rides offered, but it looks like it is a very much better fit than his other options. Let's hope appearances aren't deceiving. We are very happy with his choice, despite the financial considerations. Having watched a number of students (both homeschooled and public schooled) founder, we feel that fit is important. It would be nice if everyone were so robust that fit didn't matter, but that is not the case, in our experience.

Goodness, how gloomy! Guess you can tell how stressed we've been over this whole thing. Not much celebrating going on here. More hiding our heads in the sand and trying to get through the end of the semester not thinking about the coming changes to our lives. I think perhaps it would have helped to send my son to the accepted students day. (He couldn't go because it conflicted with community college classes, besides not wanting to think about it.) It would have highlighted the differences between his new university and the community college and made him more able to look forward to the new university as a welcome change. It took my son awhile to realize that his new university would be more like Université de Lausanne (where he spent last summer) and less like our local community college. That seems to be the problem with having your student already in college (one without most of the fun part) applying for another four years of hard work away from his family. We can't be the only ones with this problem.

Nan

(Peeking in from my usual place on the Chat Board)

What a great thread! I love reading what everyone is going through! This is an interesting time in life.

My ds18 was accepted at Mizzou and MO Univ. of Science and Tech and was intending to study engineering. Then, out of the blue, a call came from a baseball coach at a small, private school here in MO. Ds was offered an academic scholarship that covers tuition, plus he gets an on-campus job to help w/expenses.

He's over the moon!

My ds has been saying for years that he wanted to go to Harvard, got in early action, and yesterday finally committed .... to Princeton. He visited both and strongly felt he fit in better there. I'm just glad the decision is made! (Although I'm a bit disappointed we won't have a reason to visit Cambridge anymore -- older ds is graduating this year.)

Chelle - Congratulations! What a great surprise! That is wonderful!

Muttichen -

Congratulations on the Princeton decision.

We mailed off the refusals this morning and I know that feeling of relief at having things settled. And the mixed feelings. I know what you mean about not having an excuse to visit a place. That is a large part of what makes me feel mixed about my youngest's decision not to go to his brothers' school. Visiting was such fun but there really is nothing there except the school.

Congratulations to your graduating one!

If you'd like, you can share my excuse for visiting Cambridge - browsing at Schoenhoff's. It works very well. : )

Nan

Ds.1 made his choice of school yesterday!

Schools he got accepted into:

Baylor University - Full tuition scholarship (Regent Gold)+ more

UNC- Chapel Hill - instate benefits + partial tuition scholarship + Honors College + Research Scholars Program

Boston University - Honors College + Presidential Scholarship

Washington U. at St. Louis

Emory University

Wake Forest University

Waitlisted:

Washington and Lee

He has decided that Baylor is where he wants to go for undergrad. Their premed advising, christian atmosphere, beautiful new premed dorms, smaller class sizes, and having another homeschooled friend he met through the debate league as roommate sealed the deal.

I am so grateful to God and all the wonderful folk on this board for all the support through our homeschooling journey. God bless!

Hi, I've never posted here before, but I was classically homeschooled throughout high school, and I was accepted to George Washington University (honors program + $30k scholarship), American University (honors program + $20k scholarship), and Florida State University (honors program + about $5k total from 2 different scholarships). I will be going to GWU in the fall!

I've never posted here before, but I was classically homeschooled throughout high school.... I will be going to GWU in the fall!

Welcome and congratulations, politicalgirlinfl!

Regards,

Kareni

I really do love the diversity of the Hive and seeing all the acceptances and choices is a great way to share. Thanks all!

Hi all,

After being waitlisted, my son was accepted into UVA!. He's always been homeschooled, and is the first of my kids to go to a 4 year college (my others are at cc). He's pretty excited in a low-key way. We're really excited for him. So much to still do. But he's the youngest of my kids, so our homeschooling is just about over.

Barb

I guess I'll chime in...

DS #2 will be attending VA Tech this fall. He was accepted into the College of Engineering and got a nice scholarship. He also will be living in a male-only hall as part of an engineering "learning community".

This was a school he only applied to because we asked him to as a back-up. After visiting all the schools VIrginia Polytechnic Institute shot to the top of his list. Both DH and I felt like this was the place for this child.

Creekland...this is your alma mater, right?

I guess I'll chime in...

DS #2 will be attending VA Tech this fall. He was accepted into the College of Engineering and got a nice scholarship. He also will be living in a male-only hall as part of an engineering "learning community".

This was a school he only applied to because we asked him to as a back-up. After visiting all the schools VIrginia Polytechnic Institute shot to the top of his list. Both DH and I felt like this was the place for this child.

It is (but my degrees are Physic and Psychology - plus a Math minor). Hubby got his Engineering degree from there and has done wonderfully ever since. I still love the school. It has grown tremendously since we were there. We still enjoy visits when we travel down I 81. I hope your guy enjoys it!

ps Did you know oldest is getting married in June? One more year to go at Covenant for him... his fiance just graduated Saturday.

Congratulations Barb and son! I think you are the first happy waitlist story that I can remember hearing. That is wonderful! UVa is a great school, too. Does he know what he wants to study? And hugs for the almost done part. This is my last, too.

dkholland - LOL - I guess parents still know best sometimes. Especially when it comes to expanding and keeping open one's options. Best of luck to your son!

Creekland CONGRATULATIONS to your son! How exciting! I hope you and your husband truly approve and are as happy about this as your son.

We have no new news except that this week youngest received more scholarship money from the college he's chosen (so raised twice now). We are SO grateful!

Nan

ps Did you know oldest is getting married in June? One more year to go at Covenant for him... his fiance just graduated Saturday.

Congratulations!!! How exciting to welcome a daughter into the family. My oldest has taken a break from school ; ( its been tough for him and we aren't really sure why??? He was home this past semester and is now back on campus to work for the summer. He is applying for a full-time job there with facilities because he can then take 6 free credits per yr. He says he doesn't want any more debt and wants to pay off his loans before he continues. I admire that but its been hard when they take a more difficult path or aren't sure what path they are on! God is with him in his journey so I'm not too worried. He loves Chattanooga and wants to stay there...

Go Hokies!

Creekland CONGRATULATIONS to your son! How exciting! I hope you and your husband truly approve and are as happy about this as your son.

We're definitely ok with it and are wishing them a great future together. His overseas plans have changed (we're a little bummed at that), but when one plans a future together, both "sides" come into the equation. Both hubby and I morphed our plans when we married... It's worked out well as a happy medium. The "other side" seems to be a great match for us. ;)

We have no new news except that this week youngest received more scholarship money from the college he's chosen (so raised twice now). We are SO grateful!

Nan

For "no news except..." that's a pretty awesome exception! Congratulations!

My oldest has taken a break from school ; ( its been tough for him and we aren't really sure why??? He was home this past semester and is now back on campus to work for the summer. He is applying for a full-time job there with facilities because he can then take 6 free credits per yr. He says he doesn't want any more debt and wants to pay off his loans before he continues. I admire that but its been hard when they take a more difficult path or aren't sure what path they are on! God is with him in his journey so I'm not too worried. He loves Chattanooga and wants to stay there...

It sounds like he has a clear thinking mind - esp regarding debt and still getting a degree. We'll pray for direction. Oldest and fiance are likely to stay around Chattanooga too. For one, my guy needs to graduate yet, but for two, they also love it there and are looking to get jobs locally. (I'm thinking she has one already.) My guy has worked for the school for a bit now for extra income and has enjoyed it.

Nan

Wow! Fantastic news, Nan!

Brenda

Baylor has decided to offer some more money to ds. to help him solidify his decision!! Very happy and grateful!

Decision update - DS decided to attend University of Maryland Baltimore County because of the nearly full-ride (minus $86.00) scholarship.

DH and I were very proud of how critically he looked at all aspects of all 6 colleges, prioritized what was important to him, and made the decision on his own. Of the 6, DS whittled it down to 2, then made final decision TWICE (one college offered more money and to reimburse him for the money he spent on deposits at the other school), so he went into decision mode a second time. The second time, he decided the same way.

I have to admit that I wanted him to pick the other college because the music school is more established, has better facilities, and is more fitted to his future goals. DH liked the school that DS decided upon because of the $ factor. Either way, we made sure to let it be DS's decision and not ours.

I am lurking here after being away for a while. Congrats to all, some exciting choices made yes? My youngest dd will finish her 1st year at CalPoly SLO in about a month (they are on the 1/4 system). She has struggled academically but, she is stubborn and never gives up. She has done better this quarter. She has only one more 1/4 of science core (calc, chem, physics, bio) and then she gets to do her marine science exclusively. She loves CA and the Californians.

My eldest dd graduates from Vassar at the end of the month. She loved every minute of her life there. No clue yet as to what she will do next year, she's got feelers out all over for arts admin/business opportunities. She wants to work for a while before deciding about grad. school. She did an honors thesis and will graduate with honors. We are very very proud. Looking forward to making the drive up there as it has been a while since I shopped the Grove City Outlets and looked into the Grand Canyon of PA.

Congratulations to all!

My youngest dd will finish her 1st year at CalPoly SLO in about a month (they are on the 1/4 system). She has struggled academically but, she is stubborn and never gives up. She has done better this quarter. She has only one more 1/4 of science core (calc, chem, physics, bio) and then she gets to do her marine science exclusively. She loves CA and the Californians.

Thanks for the update! I was hoping to steer my older son (homeschooled through 9th grade) toward Cal Poly SLO, but he was not accepted to their engineering department (despite having only one B -- a B+ in honors world history -- on his transcript, and very good test scores). VERY hard to get into their eng ... But all along he has wanted to go to Utah State, and he got their 2-year full-tuition scholarship for out-of-state students, plus another scholarship from the engineering department; we are all excited about him starting there next fall (except for the distance from home, but compared with CA-TN, I guess we can't complain!).

My ds has been saying for years that he wanted to go to Harvard, got in early action, and yesterday finally committed .... to Princeton. He visited both and strongly felt he fit in better there. I'm just glad the decision is made! (Although I'm a bit disappointed we won't have a reason to visit Cambridge anymore -- older ds is graduating this year.)

Congratulations to your son! He will love Princeton. I went there for grad school, and loved every minute of my five years there (plus it is where I met my husband :) ).

Just when I thought all the decisions had been made, and I knew where dd would be attending next fall, we got a phone call today. Villanova, dd's #1 choice, pulled her off the waitlist and offered her admission. :hurray: I am so thrilled. Dd had committed to Creighton, and their scholarship offers will be hard to beat. But Villanova has so many things that dd wants... mainly a 5-yr BA/MA option in Classical Studies. We will get their financial aid offer in the next 24 hrs. We are lifting it all up in prayer.

Jackie

Just when I thought all the decisions had been made, and I knew where dd would be attending next fall, we got a phone call today. Villanova, dd's #1 choice, pulled her off the waitlist and offered her admission. :hurray: I am so thrilled. Dd had committed to Creighton, and their scholarship offers will be hard to beat. But Villanova has so many things that dd wants... mainly a 5-yr BA/MA option in Classical Studies. We will get their financial aid offer in the next 24 hrs. We are lifting it all up in prayer.

Jackie

That is wonderful!! I hope it all works out for her.

:party:

Jackie

I hope you get good news!

Jackie

How exciting! Crossing fingers for you, Jackie!

I guess I'll chime in...

Congrats to your ds - and to you! We begged the Lord to order dd's steps and He did! She got into the two state schools she applied to, and to both of their schools of music, and got into her (former) top choice's honors college, but due to upheaval in the strings department and the termination of one professor, she looked at other schools and decided on a private school. After visiting, DH, dd and I all had peace that she belongs there.

I'm so happy for your ds!

Angie

who's so old, she remembers when Va. Tech was knows as "VPI" - to see you write out the full name of the school made me think of that! Funny how times change.

:thumbup1: Love this thread! What anxiety! My kids are only going into 8th and 4th, yet I find myself lurking here and close to tears. :ohmy:

who's so old, she remembers when Va. Tech was knows as "VPI" - to see you write out the full name of the school made me think of that! Funny how times change.

It was often called VPI when I was there - and the VT did NOT look like the square root of 1... ;)

:thumbup1: Love this thread! What anxiety! My kids are only going into 8th and 4th, yet I find myself lurking here and close to tears. :ohmy:

Enjoy your time. It was a wonderful time for us - so much more meaningful with academics, field trips, life at home, etc. I enjoyed the younger years too, don't get me wrong, but I REALLY enjoyed from 6th grade and up as their brains developed and they could understand so much more.

Enjoy your time. It was a wonderful time for us - so much more meaningful with academics, field trips, life at home, etc. I enjoyed the younger years too, don't get me wrong, but I REALLY enjoyed from 6th grade and up as their brains developed and they could understand so much more.

And those of us with kids approaching high school need you guys to stick around and give suggestions and encouragement. So you can't go!

Final verdict in for my daughter. Four acceptances (Univ of WA, Grinnell College, Bryn Mawr College, and local uni...all offered merit money), four waitlists (Georgetown, Wellesley, CO College, and Univ of MI), one rejection (Carleton...that one was weird; felt the "matchiest" of all the places she applied!) Was able to visit all; Bryn Mawr and Grinnell both offered reimbursement for flight to visit, which was nice. None seemed a PERFECT match for various reasons, but in the end she went with University of Washington. The program seemed to have everything she wanted. Despite the large size of the school, she found at least one prof that was willing to correspond with her in some detail about the school/program, which reassured her that it would not be entirely impersonal, though the school is HUGE.

I have learned a lot in the last few months. To be honest, I haven't paid a whole lot of attention as dd did her applying. I nagged a bit about meeting deadlines and such, but wasn't one of those spending much time on college websites, etc. In retrospect, I should have paid more attention to the financial bit. We had plans to use the GI Bill for her (husband has a post-9/11 transfer available), and I didn't realize how significantly the OOP costs could vary from place to place using the GI Bill. Also did not truly comprehend the vast difference there could be between in-state and out-of-state tuition. Did not realize the some colleges take need into consideration in the admissions process (figured you got admitted, THEN the aid was determined.) Did not realize that some public unis limit aid to out-of-staters.

Daughter ended up at a decent place, with decent aid, in the end, so whew! :-) But we probably could have done better financially if I paid attention. Got two more daughters coming up and now I know the score, lol. No GI Bill next time though, so really researching the merit aid angle!

Got two more daughters coming up and now I know the score, lol. No GI Bill next time though, so really researching the merit aid angle!

My oldest ended up exactly where he wanted to be, but I often feel it was more "luck" than "planning." I've felt far more knowledgeable for my other two. There really is something to learning by experience... admitting it also helps to learn from other's experiences too. However each student is different and each college is different, so often no two experiences are exactly the same... only the "general concepts" are transferrable.