Menu

What's with the ads?

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

seekinghim45

Class of 2013 acceptances/decisions

Many more congratulations to all! Good news is arriving at a nice clip now! Here's hoping for even more as winter/spring rolls on!

Well, dd got into her top choice for college last month. Then she got into this school's Honor's College. We just found out that the prof she wanted for private instruction (she's a music ed major, and musicians often choose a school based on the applied lessons prof alone! There are many things dd likes about this school and its music dept, though.) is leaving, as is at least one other prof for her instrument. I'm so bummed.

Dd may just defer for a year (unless she gets scholarship $ and that can't be deferred) until she sees who this dept/school hires. I'm so sad about this!

*SIGH*

First Acceptance:

University of North Texas (Denton) Psychology/Harp Performance:party:

Still have to audition in the winter.

It will be months before dd decides.

Already got into U of N TX at Denton. Found out today that she got into Baylor University. Big smiles here!

Got acceptances from University of Arizona (Tuscon), Indiana University (Bloomington), and DePauw University!

My dd (private schooled since kindy) has been accepted to UNT and will be attending in the fall. It's my alma mater for undergrad and a solid music school.

That's great to hear. We will be visiting UNT in February. We've heard great things about the harp teacher!

Holly

Wow everyone! Great news! Well accept the music school situation which I COMPLETELY understand. I was a piano performance major and the selling point of my number one choice was the head of the department and the lessons I would have with her. Had she left for another institution or retired, they would have suddenly fallen down the list a good ways. I had all of my colleges prioritized first by head of the piano department and how I felt about that person after meeting him or her, and second scholarships...again, music scholarships can be very heavily affected by who takes over. It may not be in issue freshman year if those awards and determinations have already been announced, but if you have to audition every year to keep your scholarships, then yikes. It matters big time.

Faith

but until your first homeschooled child actually gets accepted into a college, you worry a little, ya know? Whew! I didn't ruin her!

Absolutely!! I have to say, my stress level ramped up dramatically over the past year as we started the college search process for our oldest, but I am sleeping easier now that she is getting acceptance letters. So happy for her, and, truthfully, so relieved that I didn't ruin her future! She applied to 5 schools, and she has received acceptance letters from 4 of them so far, including acceptance into several of the honors programs - UVA, JMU, Eastern Mennonite University, and Lynchburg College. The fifth (Longwood University) does not send out acceptance letters until March for their nursing program, which seems strange to me. I'm ready at this point to let dd decide on a school and move on, but mostly I am just so relieved that a homeschooled-through-high-school kid really can get into college, and a selective, rigorous program at that. Whew! :thumbup: This is bound to be less stressful the next time around (in a mere 2 years here), right?!!

:thumbup: This is bound to be less stressful the next time around (in a mere 2 years here), right?!!

Don't count on it. I am totally stressed about home schooled daughter #3!

Another acceptance--University of Delaware :) Now to await scholarship info (fingers crossed!)

Dd's other choices are all "by April 1" schools :rolleyes:

Wow! Big congrats to every one of you! Such wonderful news!! For those of you waiting on more news, my fingers are crossed. :hurray:

Absolutely!! I have to say, my stress level ramped up dramatically over the past year as we started the college search process for our oldest, but I am sleeping easier now that she is getting acceptance letters. So happy for her, and, truthfully, so relieved that I didn't ruin her future! She applied to 5 schools, and she has received acceptance letters from 4 of them so far, including acceptance into several of the honors programs - UVA, JMU, Eastern Mennonite University, and Lynchburg College. The fifth (Longwood University) does not send out acceptance letters until March for their nursing program, which seems strange to me. I'm ready at this point to let dd decide on a school and move on, but mostly I am just so relieved that a homeschooled-through-high-school kid really can get into college, and a selective, rigorous program at that. Whew! :thumbup: This is bound to be less stressful the next time around (in a mere 2 years here), right?!!

Congratulations! Yes, it is a huge relief. The part about it being less stressful the next time round (or the third time round, for us) is unfortunately not proving to be true. They are all so different... which is good but makes the whole homeschooling and college process equally stressful for each one.

Nan

Another acceptance--University of Delaware :) Now to await scholarship info (fingers crossed!)

Dd's other choices are all "by April 1" schools :rolleyes:

Yeah!!! (And fingers crossed for you on that scholarship info.)

Nan

My dd just got accepted to her 4th out of 4 colleges - College of Charleston! Yeah baby. And her ACT score was "only" a 23. She also is accepted to Charleston Southern University, North Greenville University and Bob Jones University, for their theatre arts program. :hurray:

$15,000/yr scholarship from U of Pittsburgh!

My dd just got accepted to her 4th out of 4 colleges - College of Charleston! Yeah baby. And her ACT score was "only" a 23. She also is accepted to Charleston Southern University, North Greenville University and Bob Jones University, for their theatre arts program. :hurray:

How exciting for both of you! Great job, Moms!

Clarkson University, Engineering Dept acceptance, invitation to the Honors Program. The acceptance folder even played a bit of music when he opened it!

Dh went to school in Potsdam many moons ago-he said it's SO cold!

The acceptance folder even played a bit of music when he opened it!

Now that's just cool!

Congrats!

Clarkson University, Engineering Dept acceptance, invitation to the Honors Program. The acceptance folder even played a bit of music when he opened it!

Both my parents graduated from SUNY Potsdam (music). My sister and one cousin graduated from Clarkson. My cousin did it the "traditional" way after high school and loved it. My sister went back as an adult, so was more just "get her done." All would agree with your hubby that it's cold there! ;) (But they are definitely good schools...)

Congrats to all listing more acceptances!!! Less than 4 months until the May 1st deadline where everyone should have picked where they are going. The time will fly by!

:lurk5: for both acceptances and selections!

Yeah!!!

That is wonderful!

...The time will fly by!

Creekland, time is obviously relative lol. Despite studiously following Gwen's advice, time is not flying. Passing, maybe, when I manage to forget, but not flying lol. (Gwen - I've eaten several boxes of chocolate and watched many movies and tried hard to forget about it. Thanks for the advice.)

Youngest heard favourably from two last week. Phew phew phew - guess my educational decisions (and my course description/narrative/school profile/counselor recommendation writing skills) didn't botch his chances of going straight to a 4-year college. Still waiting on the other five. It is wonderful knowing at least a few colleges want him, though. I am so relieved. And a bit sad because I'll miss him next year.

Nan

Yay! DS#3 just brought in the mail with an ACCEPTANCE to Capernwray Bible School in England for the 2013/14 school year. It's what he wanted and he got it. While we fully expected him to be accepted, it's awfully nice to have that paper and a plan to work toward now (and we know of a couple of kids who weren't accepted a couple of year ago, so...)

This will be a gap year for him before moving on to an engineering program - he's applying at the state schools now and if accepted will ask for a deferment.

Yay! DS#3 just brought in the mail with an ACCEPTANCE to Capernwray Bible School in England for the 2013/14 school year. It's what he wanted and he got it. While we fully expected him to be accepted, it's awfully nice to have that paper and a plan to work toward now (and we know of a couple of kids who weren't accepted a couple of year ago, so...)

This will be a gap year for him before moving on to an engineering program - he's applying at the state schools now and if accepted will ask for a deferment.

Cynthia, that is great! Don't I remember you talking about this for quite some while now? Congratulations to you both!

Nan

Creekland, time is obviously relative lol. Despite studiously following Gwen's advice, time is not flying. Passing, maybe, when I manage to forget, but not flying lol. (Gwen - I've eaten several boxes of chocolate and watched many movies and tried hard to forget about it. Thanks for the advice.)

Youngest heard favourably from two last week. Phew phew phew - guess my educational decisions (and my course description/narrative/school profile/counselor recommendation writing skills) didn't botch his chances of going straight to a 4-year college. Still waiting on the other five. It is wonderful knowing at least a few colleges want him, though. I am so relieved. And a bit sad because I'll miss him next year.

Nan

This is great news, Nan.

Not only did you not mess anything up with regards to their education, but I suspect your boys will always be fine dinner companions with intelligent and entertaining tales. That is not a skill to be undervalued.

Cynthia, that is great! Don't I remember you talking about this for quite some while now? Congratulations to you both!

Nan

Yes, probably so. My second son went there in the spring of 2011 for 2 months, and he told his brother that he would have done a year long if he had known how good the program was. So DS#3 listened to his brother and decided to do the year long program. I'm not sure how I'm going to hold up with him gone for a year so far away :) I can see a trip or two in my future.

Nan

It's a myth that time marches at the same speed. We are brought up with that myth and we've programmed our clocks and computers to perpetuate it, but it's a myth. Who here hasn't experienced reality - when time flies on vacation or doing something fun, but drags when we're waiting for a loved one to return? It's the same thing with college. Time flies until they leave, but drags while awaiting news. Another mystery is how time can be dragging and flying at what appears (to us) to be the same period... I'm convinced that String Theory will someday connect it all. ;)

For me, when dropping them off at college, I really understand just how quickly time flew. "Dragons live forever, but not so little boys..." (from Puff the Magic Dragon taken the non-druggy way). It's sort of become my motto when I get into reminiscing as my life changes. I'm thankful for the young men, but I really miss the old days. I take solace in knowing we spent a ton of time together and have a world of memories. There are many "things" we did without to enjoy memories instead (from board games to travel) and I don't regret a bit of it - not one bit. I may work into old age, but I got to enjoy my boys when they were young.

Congratulations to all who have heard more good news!!! One more year until I'll be hoping with the class of 2014. Then, I'm done... WOW! Yes, time flies... way too quickly sometimes.

Youngest heard favourably from two last week. Phew phew phew - guess my educational decisions (and my course description/narrative/school profile/counselor recommendation writing skills) didn't botch his chances of going straight to a 4-year college.

Congrats, Nan! And please congratulate your son from me!

Hearing from the first college is wonderful, isn't it?

You gave your son the best education of all -- a custom-tailored one served up with love -- and I'm sure he will do well wherever he ends up!

It's a myth that time marches at the same speed.

What a lovely post, creekland.

(I can't help but be reminded though of Zall's Second Law: "How long a minute is, depends on which side of the bathroom door you're on.")

Regards,

Kareni

It's a myth that time marches at the same speed. We are brought up with that myth and we've programmed our clocks and computers to perpetuate it, but it's a myth. Who here hasn't experienced reality - when time flies on vacation or doing something fun, but drags when we're waiting for a loved one to return? It's the same thing with college. Time flies until they leave, but drags while awaiting news. Another mystery is how time can be dragging and flying at what appears (to us) to be the same period... I'm convinced that String Theory will someday connect it all. ;)

For me, when dropping them off at college, I really understand just how quickly time flew. "Dragons live forever, but not so little boys..." (from Puff the Magic Dragon taken the non-druggy way). It's sort of become my motto when I get into reminiscing as my life changes. I'm thankful for the young men, but I really miss the old days. I take solace in knowing we spent a ton of time together and have a world of memories. There are many "things" we did without to enjoy memories instead (from board games to travel) and I don't regret a bit of it - not one bit. I may work into old age, but I got to enjoy my boys when they were young.

Congratulations to all who have heard more good news!!! One more year until I'll be hoping with the class of 2014. Then, I'm done... WOW! Yes, time flies... way too quickly sometimes.

Ohmygosh... you're making me cry...

Phew phew phew - guess my educational decisions (and my course description/narrative/school profile/counselor recommendation writing skills) didn't botch his chances of going straight to a 4-year college ... It is wonderful knowing at least a few colleges want him, though. I am so relieved. And a bit sad because I'll miss him next year.

Nan

Congrats, Nan and ds!!! smile.gif

This. Exactly this! Dd was accepted at (to? into? by?) both universities and into the Honors College for her top choice. She may apply to one or two more schools, but this is the child who, at age 2, convinced me that she set on her goals. That trait has not diminshed. smile.gif she really only wants to go to the one school, so we wait to see how the money works out.

.....Tap,tap,tap....

Comgrats, Nan and ds!!! :)

This. Exactly this! Dd was accepted at (to? into? by?) both universities and into the Honors College for her top choice. She may apply to one or two more schools, but this is the child who, at age 2, convinced me that she set on her goals. That trait has not diminshed. :) she really only wants to go to the one school, so we wait to see how the money works out.

.....Tap,tap,tap....

We're waiting to see how the money works out, too, as well as the answers from the other colleges. Sigh.

I tend to say "to" but that always sounds wrong to me. Why don't we say "by"? That sounds right, grammatically.

I love your quote about insufficient shelving lol.

Nan

Well, dd got into her top choice for college last month. Then she got into this school's Honor's College. We just found out that the prof she wanted for private instruction (she's a music ed major, and musicians often choose a school based on the applied lessons prof alone! There are many things dd likes about this school and its music dept, though.) is leaving, as is at least one other prof for her instrument. I'm so bummed.

Dd may just defer for a year (unless she gets scholarship $ and that can't be deferred) until she sees who this dept/school hires. I'm so sad about this!

*SIGH*

My oldest left a fully-funded doctoral program to do a second Master's because the fellow she went to study with retired. Financially it was a really dumb move. Musically, it made sense. We understand.

As I posted earlier, dd was accepted to George Mason. Now we can add Univ. of Denver to the list! Woo-hoo!!!!

She's being deferred to regular admission at JMU. The admissions counselor called me yesterday and said she would need to take an upper level math class to be competitive. He was extremely helpful and encouraging, and made several positive comments about hsing. When the conversation ended, I was still happy and excited, a testament to his kindness. :)

If I may be inquisitive, what were they looking for in upper level math? Did they mean calculus? Something past calculus?

If I may be inquisitive, what were they looking for in upper level math? Did they mean calculus? Something past calculus?

Yes - I would like to know, too. DS16 will likely be looking at JMU and GM.

Big congratulations to all! I love hearing everyone's great news. It is so exciting when there is news every day! So proud of all our kids!

And thanks Creekland for the beautiful post. So true.

Yes - I would like to know, too. DS16 will likely be looking at JMU and GM.

She's taking Alg II currently, and he wanted to see something higher. We discussed trig, statistics, or pre-calc, and he said any of those would be fine.

I think he said they want that because they don't have any resources for helping students who aren't up to ability in math. I could be wrong on exactly what he said, but that was my ultimate assumption based on our conversation. When I looked back at JMU's admission requirements, it does say four years of math, with one year beyond Alg II.

HTH. :)

Can someone explain "merit aid"? Is this scholarship money based on a combination of merit and need?

Merit aid is tied in some way to achievement. Colleges can give merit aid for a variety of reasons. Some will offer applicants with SATs or ACTs above a certain level X number of dollars per year. Some colleges give lots of smaller scholarships to many students while other schools give a few free rides to their best applicants.

Need based aid is in part determined by the FAFSA (or the CSS Profile at some colleges). Parental income and certain assets are used to determine an expected amount that parents can supposedly pay. Suppose FAFSA says that you can afford $15K. (You may not think you can afford $15K but that does not matter.) Suppose your teen's first college choice is $25K annually for tuition, room and board, while School #2 is $34K. Will your student automatically be offered $10K and $19K in need based scholarships respectively? Nope. Your student will probably be offered some loans, maybe some grants, and maybe a campus job to make up the difference.

Merit aid is the savior of many middle class families who cannot quite afford the Expected Family Contribution (EFC determined by FAFSA) but do not qualify for need based aid or much need based aid.

Warning: merit aid can come with expectations that the student maintain a certain GPA. Read the fine print carefully.

She's taking Alg II currently, and he wanted to see something higher. We discussed trig, statistics, or pre-calc, and he said any of those would be fine. I think he said they want that because they don't have any resources for helping students who aren't up to ability in math. I could be wrong on exactly what he said, but that was my ultimate assumption based on our conversation. When I looked back at JMU's admission requirements, it does say four years of math, with one year beyond Alg II. HTH. :)

Thank you!

Merit aid is the savior of many middle class families who cannot quite afford the Expected Family Contribution (EFC determined by FAFSA) but do not qualify for need based aid or much need based aid.

Amen to that! Ds19 wouldn't be at his school now if it weren't for merit aid. Our options would have been severely limited. Another warning about merit aid: Not all schools provide merit aid; we took those schools off the table immediately. Those that do, can be stingy with it. If necessary, find schools which are known to give a good amount to a good amount of kids. This list was very accurate for us (non-need based aid).

Loved CofC.... their Arts Programs looked Awesome. And You sure can't beat that setting!!! Congrats.

Adding an acceptance to Creighton to the list. Hurray! A nice scholarship was also offered, and an invitation to apply for other scholarships. (Double Yay!) Still waiting on Villanova, Santa Clara, and Providence......

This is such a neat group to be a part of. I love reading all of the encouraging news!

I finally got a chance to look at that non-need based aid list and it mostly looks good, however, Franklin & Marshall needs to be removed from it as they no longer offer any merit aid. Some schools are headed in that direction. Like (some) others on here, we crossed all non-merit aid schools from our list prior to application. At that time we still visited F&M because I wasn't aware that they had changed their policy, but we heard it directly from the horse's mouth (so to speak). It's a nice school, but only offers need-based aid and one, small ($2500), music scholarship.

My youngest is heading there for a visit (with his ps) in Feb, but I hope he doesn't like it too much. I didn't feel like telling him he couldn't go when the school is taking the top __ students there for a special seminar they do. Their goal, of course, is recruiting students... I'm hoping he gets motivated overall.