Menu

What's with the ads?

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

seekinghim45

Class of 2013 acceptances/decisions

This thread is a very happy thread. I have a few more years before I will be back to doing this. It is good break from the anxiety and the all the work us parents have to do as counselors and parents. Congrats to all.

In response to Creekland's post, dd was accepted at Dickinson College. The admissions office is wonderful and we found them to be very homeschool friendly. They happily accepted all of our paperwork (course descriptions, reading lists, etc.). The sample transcripts, homeschool profiles, and guidance counselor letters provided by the many WTM moms here made the entire process so much easier. I must thank everyone again.

Dickinson is a great school IMO (we live about an hour away). I wish I could get my guy to consider it... but he's insistent on wanting south. Congratulations!

I can finally add to this thread :) Dd17 (private high school) was accepted to Susquehanna University (PA) on Christmas Eve :party: She is now tweaking her portfolio for their writers' program.

Congrats! Susquehanna is another that is relatively close to us! But then again, I think YOU are relatively close to us if I remember correctly. ;)

I feel funny posting this so don't quote me.

My DS got scholarships worth about 60% tuition and fees to 2 local private universities. He wants to stay home so only applied around here.

He was homeschooled thru 8th grade and then went to a private boys' high school.

Congratulations to all of the new acceptances! This is all great news!

Unsinkable, I give you permission to not feel weird about posting this here. You have a right to be proud and let me tell you, those years of homeschooling your son gave him the foundation he needed to be successful now. So, let your chest puff out there. Whether we homeschool through them all the way through or just until we can give them their wings to fly in a school that meets their needs, we've all been in the trenches and it all began with those foundational concepts way, way back when. You laid the cornerstone, so bask in the happiness until you get all pruney!

Faith

My dd has been accepted to Houston Baptist University Honors College -- her first choice-- still waiting on funding to see if it works for her to go there.

Like her older sister, my middle dd applied to only one school, UT Dallas. She also received the same scholarship. We were hoping that she'd get the next level up since her SAT score was 100 points higher and she has a 4.0 (her sister had 3.73), but the requirements for the scholarships have increased since then.

Now we're just waiting to find out if she is going to get into the Honors program.

Ds.1 received his first acceptance letter last week from Baylor with the max. scholarship they provide based on merit. We are so happy for him. The other 7 schools that he applied to will release their acceptances only in March or April. Ds. did not apply for EA or ED. I am relieved that my first homeschooled child got into college!! Thank God! There is always a small voice of doubt in your head if your homeschooled child will get admitted! I know I should not think that way but sometimes I wonder. I want to say thank you to all the members of this board and SWB for being my support system during this homeschooling journey. You all have truly been a great blessing. We moved twice in the last 12 years and this board has been a constant source of information, encouragement, and inspiration!!

God bless all of you!

Congratulations to all! And :lurk5: until March/April. ;)

We were sitting around last night (New Year's Eve) talking about all that had happened the previous year and thinking of all that should happen in the coming year... By this time next year everyone should know where their students end up going (and probably how they did first semester) and those of us with current juniors will have finished applying to places (for the most part). It sure is a reminder of just how quickly life flies by. Currently we have all 3 of our boys home and the changes that have happened since New Year's Eve thee years ago (when oldest was applying) are incredible.

ENJOY/SEIZE the day!

Thank you for all the well wishes and likes to the posts!

I keep telling people he was just a fat bald baby yesterday! Where does the times go???

Argh a fat envelope arrived from one school's office of admissions---------addressed to dd's full name (w middle initial). All other correspondence from this school has been addressed without the middle initial. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

She won't be home until after rehearsal at dinnertime!

Argh a fat envelope arrived from one school's office of admissions---------addressed to dd's full name (w middle initial). All other correspondence from this school has been addressed without the middle initial. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

She won't be home until after rehearsal at dinnertime!

Would this dinner involve anything...steamed?

I kid, I kid. Good luck waiting and best wishes for good news.

I wish all the schools would do what one university does: on the envelope with an acceptance is written, "Look what YOU GOT IN the mail!" Or can't there at least be some secret code for parents so we don't all die from anxiety waiting for the kids to get home to open the letters?

No steam necessary :D

Accepted at Allegheny :party: Scholarship amount to be sent separately. The letter referenced her essay, making her writer heart all warm and fuzzy :)

This IS a happy place! How exciting to see so many getting in to their first choices. :hurray: We too, are doing the happy dance, DD #2 has been accepted to Stanford University, her dream school!

WooHoo!! Huge Congrats!

This IS a happy place! How exciting to see so many getting in to their first choices. :hurray: We too, are doing the happy dance, DD #2 has been accepted to Stanford University, her dream school!

Yay for Luckymama's daughter acceptance at Allegheny & sdreeves daughter's Stanford news!!

Luckymama, I grew up near Meadville & had several friends who loved their time at Allegheny. :001_smile:

sdreeves, my dd is a junior at Stanford. If you ever have any questions or want to chat, just let me know. Welcome to the Farm!

sdreeves, my dd is a junior at Stanford. If you ever have any questions or want to chat, just let me know. Welcome to the Farm!

Thanks so much, I'm sure there will be questions!

Congratulations to all those who have heard happy news lately!

And sending positive thoughts to those who wait (and wait and wait) for those April 1 decisions.

Regards,

Kareni

That is wonderful! Stanford is such a prestigious school. I hope it is all your daughter dreams it will be!

Our dd just received her second acceptance today. This one to Whitworth University in Spokane. It's a very small private liberal arts school. Dd applied there because she is interested in the swim team.... They also gave her a "Presidential Scholarship". It is very encouraging to get this financial help. So far, 2 acceptances, and 2 scholarships.... Still waiting on dd's #1 choice....

Congrats to all who are getting the acceptances they've been waiting for. It is so encouraging!

No steam necessary :D

Accepted at Allegheny :party: Scholarship amount to be sent separately. The letter referenced her essay, making her writer heart all warm and fuzzy :)

Exciting, exciting news! So happy for both of you!

Our dd just received her second acceptance today. This one to Whitworth University in Spokane. It's a very small private liberal arts school. Dd applied there because she is interested in the swim team.... They also gave her a "Presidential Scholarship". It is very encouraging to get this financial help. So far, 2 acceptances, and 2 scholarships....

More congratulations (to both)!!! I love seeing good news! :party:

Dd received an email from Creighton University yesterday, saying she would be receiving a package in the mail in the next 2-3 weeks. That's all. No "sorry", no "congratulations". Nothing. Creighton is probably dd's 3rd choice, and the closest-to-home college to which dd applied. We're kind of hoping she ends up there, so this is really a difficult wait! I had to share my anxiety with someone, and I knew all of you would understand. Thanks for being there!

Dd received an email from Creighton University yesterday, saying she would be receiving a package in the mail in the next 2-3 weeks. That's all. No "sorry", no "congratulations". Nothing. Creighton is probably dd's 3rd choice, and the closest-to-home college to which dd applied. We're kind of hoping she ends up there, so this is really a difficult wait! I had to share my anxiety with someone, and I knew all of you would understand. Thanks for being there!

I can't imagine a package would be bad news...what would they send? Surely if a thick envelope is good, a package is better?

I can't imagine a package would be bad news...what would they send? Surely if a thick envelope is good, a package is better?

I suppose it could be directions for waitlisted? Maybe?

And why would they say you were getting a package? Why not just send the package when the time came? Or send a yes or no now?

Strange.

Nan

My dd has received acceptances from University of Dallas, Carroll College, and Benedictine College. All 3 have offered her decent merit scholarships. We are still waiting to hear from a couple of other schools.

I will be so happy when all of this is over and a final decision is made.

Congratulations to all who have received acceptances so far!

Jackie, crossing fingers for a Creighton acceptance.

Kelly, congrats on the three acceptances! I remember having the same feelings as you. Such a stressful time. Best wishes!

Well, it seems that we have a decision! This morning, my daughter accepted her Presidential Scholarship to the University of North Dakota. Although she was admitted to everywhere she applied, and received scholarship awards from all but one, she decided that UND is the most affordable school with the best program for what she wants to do. It has the largest chemical engineering program we looked at, and offers everything she's interested in: sustainable energy, energetics and all kinds of other stuff. She'll be able to pay for college with her college savings and will hopefully graduate with very little debt, thanks for MN's tuition reciprocity with ND and her scholarship.

It was a tough decision, but she sat down and made a spreadsheet to compare all the various elements and costs of each school. UND won hands down. Another factor is that she's only 16. UND is about 4.5 hours from home, which will make us all feel much better about her going off to school! :D

I posted last month on this thread that dd was accepted into George Mason University in VA.

This week, she received her acceptance into their Honors College program, woo-hoo!!!!! She also was accepted into Univ. of Denver (receiving an $18K merit scholarship), but we're thinking we want her much closer to home.

This has all been so encouraging. We're comparatively more relaxed homeschoolers than many here. Others accepted into the Honors College report higher test scores. If that's true, dd's passion and individuality showed through in her Honors essay, course descriptions, teacher recommendation (from comm. coll.), and counselor letter (by me).

Praise God--there is no way she or I would have been able to pull these years of hsing off!!

Loving all of the good news we are hearing!

Those of you with empty mailboxes: Some colleges drag their feet in sending out acceptance letters. Be patient.

Now...for those with kids who have made decisions. This is probably a good time to start looking at some locally based scholarships. Does your credit union, your utility, local fraternal organizations (Rotary, Lions, etc.), 4-H, etc. give out scholarships? This may mean more essays, but five hundred here, a thousand there can be nice.

First Acceptance:

University of North Texas (Denton) Psychology/Harp Performance:party:

Still have to audition in the winter.

It will be months before dd decides.

My dd (private schooled since kindy) has been accepted to UNT and will be attending in the fall. It's my alma mater for undergrad and a solid music school.

So far, my dd has been accepted to North Greenville University, Charleston Southern University and Bob Jones University for their Theatre Arts programs. We are still waiting to hear from College of Charleston. :hurray:

Accepted: Towson University, University of Md Baltimore Country, George Mason University.

DS is still waiting on decisions from the remaining 3 before making a decision.

In addition to being accepted into the college/university, DS must also be accepted into music schools/programs after auditions & portfolio reviews.

Update 2/6/13: DS also accepted to University of Maryland College Park AND their School of Music.