Menu

What's with the ads?

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

seekinghim45

Class of 2013 acceptances/decisions

Congratulations to all those who have received happy news. (And sending good thoughts for continued patience to those who wait ... and wait ... and wait.)

Regards,

Kareni

DD received a BIG, rather thick envelope from the office of admissions from her #1 choice. Printed on the envelope are the words, "The journey to your future has begun..."

Might one assume this big, rather thick envelope contains good news??? (I'd always heard that the big, thick envelopes are acceptances and the small, thin ones are rejections. True?)

DD is at work. I pick her up at 6pm. How on earth will I wait that long?! And here we understood (based on a conversation in person and two phone calls) that we probably wouldn't know if she got into the college until after her audition for the school of music! Whew! Now, we just have to wait till her February audition and however long it takes to know if she was accepted to the SoM or not.

DD received a BIG, rather thick envelope from the office of admissions from her #1 choice. Printed on the envelope are the words, "The journey to your future has begun..."

Might one assume this big, rather thick envelope contains good news??? (I'd always heard that the big, thick envelopes are acceptances and the small, thin ones are rejections. True?)

DD is at work. I pick her up at 6pm. How on earth will I wait that long?! And here we understood (based on a conversation in person and two phone calls) that we probably wouldn't know if she got into the college until after her audition for the school of music! Whew! Now, we just have to wait till her February audition and however long it takes to know if she was accepted to the SoM or not.

And??????

And??????

Sorry! I just typed up a long response to a private message and was on my way here. She's in!

Now she "just" needs to ace her audition for this school's school of music in Feb, wait out the weeks it takes to learn if she got accepted into the SoM, and see what scholarship $ (if any) they'll giver her. Cake walk, right? *SIGH* I believe she could get into the SoM just playing what she played for a solo at her last recital, but my dd is hard-headed and a very ambitious girl. She wants to do this really hard piece, so she chose the last audition date for the SoM.

Thank you, ladies, for sharing in our joy! As I just wrote in that PM, I know my dd is bright, got great test scores across the board, is well-rounded and all of that, but until your first homeschooled child actually gets accepted into a college, you worry a little, ya know? Whew! I didn't ruin her!

... but until your first homeschooled child actually gets accepted into a college, you worry a little, ya know? Whew! I didn't ruin her!

Boy, do I remember that feeling!

Congratulations to you and your daughter.

Regards,

Kareni

DD#1 Accepted Early Decision to Cornell University College of Engineering - her #1. :)

Happy dance going on here tonight!

Go Big Red!

Added Later: For anyone looking for hs friendly colleges--- dd was also accepted (EA) at Case Western Reserve (her #2 school, much loved) with generous merit aid. If Cornell hadn't panned out she would have been monumentally happy to enroll at Case - a school I had never even heard of until she began looking around. Fantastic for engineer types of all kinds.

DD#1 Accepted Early Decision to Cornell University College of Engineering - her #1. :)

Happy dance going on here tonight!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Go Big Red!

Woohooooo! I've been waiting to hear from you since your status update yesterday. Congratulations to you both.

Ditto to Angie and everybody else who has gotten good news lately. Loving these big-envelope stories (ok, some of them are cheerful e-mails or website fireworks, but it's a metaphor, people!).

Go Big Red!

:hurray: :hurray: :hurray:

Jen, So glad to hear your daughter's great news! Kudos to both of you!!

Congrats also to Angie's dd & to all who have heard good news, & good luck to everyone who's still waiting for results.

Go Big Red!

Wow! What an accomplishment! Congratulations to you both!

This is a wonderful thread and very encouraging!

Keep 'em comin'!!!!

Big kudos on the most recent acceptances. I don't have time to respond to each one individually, but I sure a happy for each of you.

Faith

Go Big Red!

Wooot! Congratulations!!! :) I am happy dancing with you.

Wow! Cornell. Engineering? Excellent!

but until your first homeschooled child actually gets accepted into a college, you worry a little, ya know? Whew! I didn't ruin her!

I'm with you there, though I worry about all three of mine, my ps kiddo too. There are so many decisions we make as parents and I often wonder if we "chose" correctly or not... I think I worry about this daily now that we're near the end of high school. If not daily, at least weekly.

A big congratulations to all who are finding acceptances to their niches! :party:

And a reminder to anyone who doesn't get accepted to their first choice (or who can't afford it), that I couldn't afford my first choice either, but in the end, my 2nd choice turned out terrific (great education, great experience met hubby, very low debt). Sometimes things work out for a reason. Having to go with something less than first choice doesn't = ruin. It's still a congratulations IMO! ;)

Congratulations to the latest!!

(I hope dd hears from at least one school soon, though 2 said the earliest would be in mid-January :eek: )

Walt applied about a week ago to Ursinus, and got the letter today. They asked him to apply; we'd never heard of it before. I know it's last on his list, since we haven't even visited it, but I think it sounds like an interesting place.

I know someone whose son went to Ursinus and loved it there! Really neat school!

I enjoy reading everyone's acceptances. I am getting a vicarious thrill, as my 12th grader decided he didn't want to go straight into college, so I am missing that thrilling sense of accomplishment you get when your homeschool student gets accepted! Congrats to your kids and to you for all the hard work it takes to make this step successful!

My first homeschool student got accepted into her top choice state school! We heard pretty quickly (6 weeks).

Congrats to everyone!

Yeah!!!

It is nice not too have to wait to long. We are discovering how much harder it is to wait with youngest. Older ones heard soon. Waiting is soooo stressful.

Congratulations to you both!

Nan

Go Big Red!

Good for her! Congratulations!

First college acceptance - NC State. The official date is today (Saturday) but dd saw many people posting on fb or twitter that they got in. She was waiting for an email but went into her account on-line and there it was. So no idea if there is money involved. But even without it, there is peace in having that first acceptance in our hands!

State is her #3 choice. We won't hear from the rest until January.

Northeastern "deferred" her to regular enrollment and will hear by April 1.

My oldest just got accepted early action to Georgia Tech, his first choice! Big sigh of relief!

Very nice! Congratulations to both of you!!

I have happy memories of working there; lots of terrific opportunities await him!

My oldest just got accepted early action to Georgia Tech, his first choice! Big sigh of relief!

Hurrah! Wonderful School!

Thanks everyone! I am feeling all sorts of crazy emotions right now. We had him when we were grad students at GT. Now he is going to go to school there. Wow.

Congratulations!!! What does he want to major in? Will he apply elsewhere or is he done?

Nan

Thanks everyone! I am feeling all sorts of crazy emotions right now. We had him when we were grad students at GT. Now he is going to go to school there. Wow.

Wow is right. It must have been very strange visiting.

He has wanted to be a mechanical engineer since forever, so he will be majoring in mechanical engineering with an emphasis in robotics. He is done applying. It is his dream school.

Congratulations!!! What does he want to major in? Will he apply elsewhere or is he done?

Nan

He has wanted to be a mechanical engineer since forever, so he will be majoring in mechanical engineering with an emphasis in robotics. He is done applying. It is his dream school.

That is GREAT! Mine wants to be a mechanical engineer, too, with an emphasis on materials. It is rather nice when they have clear talents and interests, isn't it? I'm glad it all worked out. : )

We find out about the middle of next week whether our one-and-done worked.

Nan

How funny! My dd is MechE inclined, too! Mechanical and Aerospace, specifically.

So many engineering possibilities.... so little time....

I know my dd is bright, got great test scores across the board, is well-rounded and all of that, but until your first homeschooled child actually gets accepted into a college, you worry a little, ya know? Whew! I didn't ruin her!

Yes, this! My dd got her first acceptance letter this week from George Mason Univ.. This was such a relief for me, WE DID IT!!!!!!!!!!! She considers this school her "safety," but I would be thrilled if she goes there!

We're expecting another decision tomorrow, and one more before the end of the month, plus she's expecting to hear if she makes the cut for NSLI-Y's study abroad program.

The timing seems so stressful; she just had finals in her CC classes, plus of course Christmas coming up. It's stressful for me, anyway. <g>

Yes, this! My dd got her first acceptance letter this week from George Mason Univ.. This was such a relief for me, WE DID IT!!!!!!!!!!!...

...The timing seems so stressful; she just had finals in her CC classes, plus of course Christmas coming up. It's stressful for me, anyway. <g>

Yeah! Congratulations to both of you!

I agree. We're dealing with similar timing. Math and physics finals coinciding with decision from first choice. It is brutal.

Congrats on the scholarship - tough choice though... Perhaps look at where graduates from each have gone? Or is he simply heavily preferring one to another over 50/50?

Good luck and Best Wishes to all who find out info this week, esp if they are also tackling finals!

DD just found out she was accepted ED at her #1 school. We are all crying tears of joy right now. I can't thank all of you WTM moms enough. Couldn't have done it without your support. Congrats to everyone else too!!

DD just found out she was accepted ED at her #1 school. We are all crying tears of joy right now. I can't thank all of you WTM moms enough. Couldn't have done it without your support. Congrats to everyone else too!!

Many congratulations to you and your daughter. Very happy for you!

That is great! Congratulations!

Nan

Found out yesterday that he got a 17,000 a year scholarship to TCU and was invited to compete for one of the chancellor full ride scholarship.. He is going to think about whether he wants to do that or just go ahead and decide that Baylor is for him. He got accepted into the engineering/computer science dorm at Baylor.. The department at Baylor is SO much bigger... TCu only graduates about 10 computer science majors a year.. He's still thinking...

Nice! Good luck deciding!

Congratulatons!!

Second acceptance last night. DD looks on-line somewhere and others are posting about their acceptance so she logs into her account at said college and finds her status as well.

Appalachian State University. Second choice school for her.

So far - deferred at Northeastern, accepted at NC State and App State. Still waiting on UNC-CH. Should be the end of January, but App was supposed to be January as well.

As I posted earlier, dd was accepted to George Mason. Now we can add Univ. of Denver to the list! Woo-hoo!!!!

She's being deferred to regular admission at JMU. The admissions counselor called me yesterday and said she would need to take an upper level math class to be competitive. He was extremely helpful and encouraging, and made several positive comments about hsing. When the conversation ended, I was still happy and excited, a testament to his kindness. :)

:party: Glad to hear more great news! And still :lurk5: for those yet to hear from places...

ps I know not everyone wants to share, but I like hearing WHAT schools too. Youngest is still actively hunting and not among top name schools. He wants hands on and science and is now thinking of heading to be a science teacher - secondary Bio and Bio types of classes - possibly overseas. Christian schools are definitely an option. So, when I read a name I'm not familiar with on here I'm usually looking it up...

In response to Creekland's post, dd was accepted at Dickinson College. The admissions office is wonderful and we found them to be very homeschool friendly. They happily accepted all of our paperwork (course descriptions, reading lists, etc.). The sample transcripts, homeschool profiles, and guidance counselor letters provided by the many WTM moms here made the entire process so much easier. I must thank everyone again.

Now it's finally time to sit back and happily watch the wonderful acceptances continue to roll in. Yay, we did it!!!!

In response to Creekland's post, dd was accepted at Dickinson College. The admissions office is wonderful and we found them to be very homeschool friendly. They happily accepted all of our paperwork (course descriptions, reading lists, etc.). The sample transcripts, homeschool profiles, and guidance counselor letters provided by the many WTM moms here made the entire process so much easier. I must thank everyone again.

Now it's finally time to sit back and happily watch the wonderful acceptances continue to roll in. Yay, we did it!!!!

My son (class of 2010) was also accepted at Dickinson although he chose not to attend. I did want to say that we felt that Dickinson was homeschool friendly...and they have an amazing archaeology lab!

Congrats to Renee in VA and her daughter!

OK, so dd got another, but this time bigger envelope from her top college choice. It's different than her acceptance letter. Once again, she's at work and I have to wait to know what's in it!

I (think I) know it's too early for financial info. *Waiting!*

OK, so dd got another, but this time bigger envelope from her top college choice. It's different than her acceptance letter. Once again, she's at work and I have to wait to know what's in it!

I (think I) know it's too early for financial info. *Waiting!*

:toetap05: Inquiring minds want to know!

Sounds like your daughter may be receiving an early Christmas present!