Menu

What's with the ads?

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

seekinghim45

Class of 2013 acceptances/decisions

Congratulations!!! My cousin (who lives in Longview; some LeTourneau profs attend their church) and I are trying to interest my son in applying ...

My son does have his first acceptance, but I'm not sure if I should post in this thread, as he was homeschooled only through 9th grade ... he's in ps now. If it's OK to post, I will, but I would understand keeping this a homeschoolers-only thread! :001_smile: After all, there are special challenges for homeschooled kids ... and I have one coming up (Class of 2014)!

~Laura

Congratulations!!! My cousin (who lives in Longview; some LeTourneau profs attend their church) and I are trying to interest my son in applying ...

My son does have his first acceptance, but I'm not sure if I should post in this thread, as he was homeschooled only through 9th grade ... he's in ps now. If it's OK to post, I will, but I would understand keeping this a homeschoolers-only thread! :001_smile: After all, there are special challenges for homeschooled kids ... and I have one coming up (Class of 2014)!

~Laura

You might put the fact that he's in ps in parentheses for anyone outside looking in, but I, for one (as a regular) like to see where ALL of our kids end up... Just my two cents.

Congrats Seekinghim!!!

You might put the fact that he's in ps in parentheses for anyone outside looking in, but I, for one (as a regular) like to see where ALL of our kids end up... Just my two cents.

OK, thanks! Yes, I do too -- we're in a similar boat (hs/ps sons) and I'll be very interested to see where your youngest ends up. :001_smile:

--------------------

seekinghim45- Letourneau (accepted)

Laura in CA - ds17 (ps) - Utah State (accepted)

Bethany Lutheran College (accepted)

Trying to decide where else he wants to apply. His heart is pretty set on Bethany.

Well, this one is a little different from everyone else's since DD is already a college student.

We homeschooled her through high school and she landed at U of M. She's halfway through her chem/pre-med degree and has been working as a paramedic. She decided against med school and chose to change course and go into nursing with an eye towards a master's and emphasis in pediatrics. She applied to their Paramedic Bridge to B.S.R.N. program which is an accelerated program that gives credit for working as a medic plus all of the coursework she took as a medic, A & P, Pathology/Physiology/Pharmacology, etc. and credit for part of their clinicals - ER/Trauma and Cardiology in particular. She'll only need to go to school one more year (three semesters with only National Holidays off for breaks so very intensive) and she'll have her B.S.R.N. It's a VERY competitive program with hundreds of paramedics applying every year and only 24 accepted. She was up against medics with more experience, but many of them rural and she's been working in the city near level 1 & 2 trauma centers and has STELLAR recommendations.

SHE GOT IN!!!! She is so excited and I'm proud of her. She begins July of 2013 with a two month intensive advanced A & P class, second semester Pharmacology, and Microbiology. These first three are completed over 9 weeks and then the real fun begins. Others have it worse because they've got to get themselves prepared for organic chemistry. She's already had that as a chem major and was able to transfer those credits into the program. In that regard, she's way ahead. Apparently, some of the medics are likely to fail out of the program because of organic chemistry. It's a very tough class and most of them haven't had a chemistry class in a very, very long time. The wise ones take two semesters of college chemistry at U of M's extension campuses in order to brush up before they attempt it.

I'm very happy for her. She'll always love trauma work, but she is also convinced that nursing will be more conducive to family life now that she's getting married and of course, the pay is much, much better.

Faith - DD, accepted U of M Medic/R.N. bridge program

Faith - DD, accepted U of M Medic/R.N. bridge program

Congrats to all but a special shout out to Faith's daughter. Many of us have watched her from the sidelines for years. So happy for her! And further congratulations on her engagement!

Dd just got her first acceptance yesterday by phone to Converse College in SC. They have already offered her $20,000. I originally thought the admissions counselor was inviting dd to compete for their Presidential Scholarship but after listening to the message again I realized dd has already earned that scholarship. She is now being invited to compete for another scholarship. I wasn't sure by the message but I believe it is their full-ride scholarship. This is the most expensive school on our list.

The other two schools have not accepted her yet but they have both invited her to apply for their Honor's Colleges.

We are only applying to three schools because dd has a very specific major in mind, piano performance, and wants to attend a college/university with a school of music rather than a department of music. Also she (and me) want her to stay within a couple of hours of home.

Anyway, very exciting for our whole family!

God Bless,

Elise in NC

First Acceptance:

University of North Texas (Denton) Psychology/Harp Performance:party:

Still have to audition in the winter.

It will be months before dd decides.

So far accepted to Liberty University, Charleston Southern and Cedarville. Still a while for a decision since she has a few more outstanding applications (including her currently top choice) and is trying for ROTC so we'll see. But it's nice to have a few acceptances including Liberty which is currently 2nd on her list.

Heather

May I ask (because we are new to this applying to colleges thing) how you that have acceptance letters already were able to get them so early?

I thought that you only found out this early if you were applying Early Decision.

Please forgive my ignorance. I'm trying to learn as much as I can about this process. DS has November 1st deadlines to meet, but even having everything in by then, I did not expect him to hear back until January or so.

There are, indeed, many college which offer rolling admissions. This means you get an answer fairly soon after you apply. "Soon" can mean hours or a couple of weeks. Some give merit aid out this way too.

Therefore, if one wants to know they have a "true" safety, it's always nice to apply to a rolling decision school. My middle son had two of these - the University of Alabama and Pittsburgh. They are both good schools and offered decent merit aid so it made waiting for other decisions a bit less stressful. Actually, I don't think we waited long for the Baylor acceptance either, but he applied to that one later.

I'm hoping youngest will also have at least one...

UNT is a rolling admissions school. We heard only a few days after her app was complete.

Dd will not know where she is going for months. We will hear from academic admissions by late winter. But then she has music auditions from January through early March.

There are, indeed, many college which offer rolling admissions. This means you get an answer fairly soon after you apply. "Soon" can mean hours or a couple of weeks. Some give merit aid out this way too.

Therefore, if one wants to know they have a "true" safety, it's always nice to apply to a rolling decision school. My middle son had two of these - the University of Alabama and Pittsburgh. They are both good schools and offered decent merit aid so it made waiting for other decisions a bit less stressful. Actually, I don't think we waited long for the Baylor acceptance either, but he applied to that one later.

I'm hoping youngest will also have at least one...

:iagree: When dd's first rolling admission acceptance came in, it was an immense relief! She was our first homeschooled through high school and we were sooooooooooooooo nervous. Some of her top choices were not rolling and we were going to wait a while, a nail biting while, to hear from them. But, that acceptance just seemed to take the edge off so we could relax a little. Yes, we'd done it! She had a spot and it wasn't a shabby school by any stretch either so we could face whatever acceptances, rejections, lack of merit aid, or whatever might be down the road because this one wanted her and offered enough money to make that a very real choice.

I highly recommend putting a good safety or middle school with rolling admission's into the mix so you hopefully have an early response that eases your tension while waiting on those reach schools if they are not rolling admissions.

Faith

My daughter received her acceptance to the chemical engineering program at Michigan Technological University. It's her first choice school, so we're happy! :D

My daughter received her acceptance to the chemical engineering program at Michigan Technological University. It's her first choice school, so we're happy! :D

:hurray::party::cheers2:

We head to Michigan Tech the 25th with eldest ds. It's a first run visit and if it appears it could be a good fit, we'll make another trip before his senior year begins.

It's lovely when you hear early from your top choice!

Faith

I just wanted to point out, in case there is any confusion with the above conversation, that whether or not a college has rolling admission is not indicative of the quality of the college. A few of the posts imply that it's good to choose at least one with rolling admission as a 'safety' so you get that relief knowing you have an acceptance. That is VERY true. That relief is great but that doesn't mean only 'safety' or 'lessor' schools have rolling admissions. There are many terrific schools with rolling admissions and many more 'safety' type schools that wait until March.

Not trying to cause an argument, just wanted to make that clear for those just learning about rolling admissions.

Heather

I just wanted to point out, in case there is any confusion with the above conversation, that whether or not a college has rolling admission is not indicative of the quality of the college. A few of the posts imply that it's good to choose at least one with rolling admission as a 'safety' so you get that relief knowing you have an acceptance. That is VERY true. That relief is great but that doesn't mean only 'safety' or 'lessor' schools have rolling admissions. There are many terrific schools with rolling admissions and many more 'safety' type schools that wait until March.

Not trying to cause an argument, just wanted to make that clear for those just learning about rolling admissions.

Heather

:iagree: These schools are safeties in the sense that you have an admissions offer in hand, and sometimes (not always) guaranteed money. They in no way reflect the quality of the school.

That said, it was still nice having them early instead of having to wait until spring to find out ALL answers. ;) There are some folks who are fortunate enough to be DONE with a rolling admission as the school happens to be their top choice. There's certainly no harm there.

Awesome! Congratulatons!

Iowa State University. Acceptance, no decisions from this camp for months. Call me relieved that we have a definite spot.

University of Iowa. Coe. Gustavus Adolphus.Creighton University.Fordham -Rose Hill! :driving:Loyola-New Orleans. Beloit. Illinois Wesleyan. UNO. All with substantial merit aid but still out of reach without taking on debt. I think it will come down to U of Iowa and UNO. I think it crucial to demonstrate fiscal responsibility at this point in her life. While we are so incredibly proud we still must keep her nearby or I have to move as she is 16. Thankfully, she not only understands this difficulty but is darn grateful for the votes of confidence from the the various unis/colleges. How I wish someone had stopped me from wasting $$$ on a law degree when I had the opportunity to attend Bowling Green with a decent stipend, full tuition and a nice teaching schedule. As a parent I must say it has been VERY hard to teach her this hard won wisdom. Nobody told me that the whole college application process is also one of the most soul baring, working out your own skeletons in the closet and harsh lessons of being a parent. I am emotionally and spiritually drained from the self examination that came with this year. It needed to be done but those old mistakes and wounds from them have to be released. So here it is friends. Letting go of the past and the old demons that drove that bus and hello to the future. :hurray:

Hug her and congratulations to you both on a job well done!!

He was accepted at Baylor today with a 15,000 a year scholarship. We go to Invitation to Excellence in a couple of weeks which will get him another 2,000 automatically for attending ( one time, not renewable) and a chance for more.

He is excited!!! This will probably be where he goes, though is hasn't totally made up his mind!

Congratulations!!!! :party:

Faith

My son applied to six schools and has acceptances at three: Auburn, Southern Polytechnic and State University, and the University of Georgia, which is his first choice. We're all pretty excited around here. I will post other acceptances as they come in. We are waiting for responses from Clemson, Georgia Tech, and North Georgia College and State University.

He applied early action everywhere it was possible to do so. We should be hearing soon from all but Clemson, which didn't have the option.

My son was accepted to a rolling admissions school, Southern Polytechnic & State University, which is very near home. He applied Early Action everywhere that he could, and so far has two additional acceptances: one to Auburn, and the other to the University of Georgia-- this was his first choice, and he will likely go there. :)

Another acceptance to North Georgia College and State University, and a rejection from Georgia Tech. Can't win 'em all, I guess.

My dd (#2) was accepted to our local state university. This was the only school she applied to as she wants to live at home during college to save money. She is in the process of completing the application for merit aid that they sent her a few weeks after the acceptance letter. Here's praying she receives some money!

Congratulations to all!

Congrats to students & parents! :hurray:

Ds heard from his first choice school back in Oct. Waiting to hear from U of Utah. He only applied to 2 schools. Not what I was hoping but praying that God is leading him.

University of Portland, School of Engineering -- President's Scholarship/$80K over 4 years

:lurk5:

Update: Accepted to U of U...but U of P is his destiny. God is good. :)

I will post other acceptances as they come in. We are waiting for responses from Clemson, Georgia Tech, and North Georgia College and State University.

Can I put in a plug for NGCSU, or rather NGU as it is soon to be known? It's my Alma Mater and I loved it - it's a great place to be!

Just got a call from our Congressman's office. DS has been accepted to the United States Naval Academy class of 2017!

Just got a call from our Congressman's office. DS has been accepted to the United States Naval Academy class of 2017!

Congrats to you and your son and to all the others who've reported acceptances!

:hurray: :party: :patriot:

Brenda

Let the Hive party begin!

Many congratulations to all. I love this thread!!!!!

Faith

Congratulations!

Let the Hive party begin!

Many congratulations to all. I love this thread!!!!!

Faith

:iagree: :hurray: :cheers2: :party:

And :lurk5: for more. There are a few more months until April, and I KNOW some are still waiting. ;)

DS was accepted to Patrick Henry College (1st choice) and Corban University (2nd choice). We'll see how all the financial aid works out. That will most likely be our deciding factor. They were the only two he was really interested in.

Dd received her 1st acceptance yesterday, from Franciscan University in Ohio. She is in the process of applying to Creighton, Villanova, Providence, Princeton, Santa Clara University, University of Portland, and Whitworth. Her 1st choice at this point is Villanova, so I really hope that falls into place. All in all, this being our first go at college applications, we are extremely happy to have that 1st acceptance. It will be months before any decisions can be made. The financial aid packages will be the key to this ranching family. Congratulations to all of you that are receiving good news!

Walt applied about a week ago to Ursinus, and got the letter today. They asked him to apply; we'd never heard of it before. I know it's last on his list, since we haven't even visited it, but I think it sounds like an interesting place.