Menu

What to save? Especially for science.

I know we've gone over this before, but I'm actually filing and boxing today and I'm lacking confidence. How much of my son's Biology from last year should I save? A few samples of lab reports and the tests? The homework? The videos of his experiments? All of it? None of it?

He also did:

Henle Latin

Greek yr. 1

TOG yr. 1 rhetoric

Geometry

What is customarily saved? I don't want to be the naive parent sending overflowing file boxes along with college applications, but surely I need to save some of this.

I would save all tests, an outline of the course, any documentation about labs (lab reports or, in your case, videos). I have heard of students who had to prove that they had actually done a lab science.

The only thing I am going to actually send to the college is a course description.

I see no need to save homework.

This said, my kids will keep all their high school work in their binders until they are safely in college. It's just four years worth of stuff, not worth worrying about what to keep and what to toss. I guess once they are in grad school, everything gets chucked ;-)

Regentrude, I read something on Rose-Hulman's website two years ago that made me freeze in fear. They said they wanted documentation of "real" labs, not just kitchen demonstrations of science principles.

I decided then that all high school labs would be in the lab book and on video.

I agree that a lab is not the same thing as a demonstration.

I do not think anybody at college admissions would spend the time to watch videos of students doing labs. What they might glance over is a list of labs and maybe the corresponding lab reports. Make sure to save those. the videos are overkill, IMO.

This said, my kids will keep all their high school work in their binders until they are safely in college. It's just four years worth of stuff, not worth worrying about what to keep and what to toss. I guess once they are in grad school, everything gets chucked ;-)

:iagree:

I'd recommend keeping ALL papers (I refer to essays, research papers, etc.) as well as lab notebooks and a sprinkling of your child's best work from a variety of subjects.

One of the ten colleges to which my daughter applied required a portfolio of work; another of the colleges recommended it. Some of the things she included were:

graded papers from outside classes

a quiz and lab report from a community college science class

Latin translation assignment from her AP Latin class

a picture of a page from a Latin picture book that she wrote and illustrated

photos of a couple of art pieces with the ribbons they won in the County fair

I'd recommend keeping all of your child's essays; one of my daughter's 11th grade essays became fodder for her college application essay.

Regards,

Kareni