Menu

How do you "make" a child enjoy reading?

m0mmaBuck

I have a 10yo boy who dislikes reading. He would NEVER choose to read for leisure/enjoyment. He would rather stare at the wall than pick up a book. He will read anything I assign. He will not choose books for himself but rather asks that I pick out something he might like. He has no problems with comprehension. He just doesn't enjoy it.

Ideas?

What are his hobbies/interests?

What were some of his favorite books?

Will he read comic books or magazines?

My ten-year-old boy has yet to pick up a "chapter" book, but he reads all the time. It is just that he has odd taste in reading material -- Fortune magazine, encyclopedias, Shakespeare in original format, comic books, cookbooks, poetry, books of quotes, instruction manuals, etc.

I often take him to used books sales and give him cash to pick out whatever strikes his fancy, as it is an inexpensive way to get that odd reading material that I wouldn't otherwise buy for him. :lol: (Last trip, he bought a huge pasta cookbook, a book on soap making and a coffee table-type book of golf courses of the world.)

I used to think his comic book reading was purely "trash" reading, but he is particular about one comic strip series that actually has a lot of redeeming value. (Main character actually quotes Shakespeare, which I never realized until DS pointed it out.)

I have heard that it is common for boys to enjoy non-fiction more than fiction. I often wonder if I should push my son more to read fiction, then I realize that I gravitate toward non-fiction myself.

Try reading to him, my ds (12) still likes that. Sometimes I will pick a book that he doesn't think sounds interesting, so I will say lets just read one chapter and more often than not, he gets into the story and likes it! When I stop reading at a really good part in the story, then he may pick it up to read himself, just because he can't wait to see what's going to happen next. Books that make him laugh are the best, like Hank the Cowdog.

My 12 yo ds has never enjoyed reading for pleasure. He likes to listen to audio books, but reading just hasn't interested him. The rest of the family devours books, so I was a little worried. He has always liked nonfiction better than fiction, so at the library he would get informational books. This past week though, he discovered a series he enjoys and has just been reading non-stop. For the first time in his life, I caught him up at 1AM reading in the bathroom. I was so happy, I couldn't be upset LOL.

Long story short, don't give up yet on him becoming a reader. It will probably just take the right author. The one ds likes seems to have a lot of science in it, which he enjoys.

I don't think it is possible to *make* any child enjoy reading. I would just keep doing what you are doing and perhaps in time things will change. You could also try the idea of getting some books that are in areas of his interest; just have them available, no pressure.

At least he is willing to read what you assign him, that is is good sign. Not everyone is "lover of reading" and you know what, that's OK too.

Fury used to be like that. Dh stepped in and said to let him read whatever he wants so long as he's reading. We went like that for about 6 months and he wore out every gaming magazine we had. He finally needed a book to fill reading time and I suggested something at his interest and ability level.

Fast forward three years or so and he tries to talk me into reading-only days!! :lol: :lol:

I didn't like reading as a child and now I love it. I couldn't understand why anyone would want to just sit there - it was just painfully boring no matter how good the book, because I needed to be active and moving around. Don't worry about him. Establish a reading environment, be a reader yourself and I'm sure he will think differently when he's older.

I have a 10yo boy who dislikes reading. He would NEVER choose to read for leisure/enjoyment. He would rather stare at the wall than pick up a book. He will read anything I assign. He will not choose books for himself but rather asks that I pick out something he might like. He has no problems with comprehension. He just doesn't enjoy it.

Ideas?

Find something he likes. Something gross, or weird, or funny. My kid read funny short books, then gross ones, then Dork Diaries or something like that, and that series about that funny boy (can't remember the name), and then the Hunger Games trilogy, which he could not put down.

So, find something interesting enough and he will read it.

I don't think it is possible to *make* any child enjoy reading. I would just keep doing what you are doing and perhaps in time things will change. You could also try the idea of getting some books that are in areas of his interest; just have them available, no pressure.

At least he is willing to read what you assign him, that is is good sign. Not everyone is "lover of reading" and you know what, that's OK too.

:iagree:

:iagree: With pretty much everything. You can't make him.

I have heard that it is common for boys to enjoy non-fiction more than fiction. I often wonder if I should push my son more to read fiction, then I realize that I gravitate toward non-fiction myself.

And I wanted to highlight this. Many people who we think of as not liking reading actually enjoy nonfiction more. But the other things suggested are good too - graphic novels, audiobooks, magazines, etc.

:iagree: With pretty much everything. You can't make him.

And I wanted to highlight this. Many people who we think of as not liking reading actually enjoy nonfiction more. But the other things suggested are good too - graphic novels, audiobooks, magazines, etc.

:iagree:My son would rather do anything than read fiction. He much prefers to read textbook type info and has been this way since he was young. At your sons age he was into reading the textbooks from the army command course. You said he is reading that required reading may be all he cares to handle at this time. Love the OP's idea about reading with him for a bit and putting the book down. We have done this many times with great success. My 10yr old is enjoying Rangers apprentice atm with dad reading to us after dinner.

He may find that interesting if you read the first few chapters with him.

I also think that just because a 10yo boy doesn't like reading, doesn't mean he won't ever like reading.

I think lots of people who love to read didn't start until more like 12 or 14.

Not that you should give up all together, but it would be fine to back off for 6 months or a year ;)

Ideas?

Habits are comfortable. Make reading a habit and it will become comfortable.

We have the rule - "Read or sleep" here. It goes for naptime and once you can read, you can stay up late reading for an extra 30-60 minutes at night. We also don't allow the television or ANY screen time (a.k.a. computer) willy-nilly. The more they read, the more comfortable it feels to just pick up a book and find a quiet spot.

They choose to read (rather than going to bed at eight o'clock and take a nap) at these times. But as they become more comfortable and more familiar, the natural inclination to pick up a book just takes over. ;)

I have two very natural readers so far and two very unnatural readers. The oldest "unnatural" reader has become an INCREDIBLE reader (13yo boy) and the second "unnatural" reader is still being groomed. I see definite progress in that she is no longer thinking of 312 reasons to not read during naptime, lol, but it has taken me being consistent and really setting aside that time as well as not letting her out of the "read or nap" rule. It is a work in progress and like any good habits it requires more consistency on MY part than on theirs. ;) It also requires me having quality books available to her for suggestion or requirement for during this time. Sometimes I DO hand her a book and say, "Look, since you haven't chosen, I have. Read this one." But that also requires familiarity in that I've chosen a GREAT book. :) I don't allow a lot of junk food books either as I'm not trying to just shape their habits but their tastes and I don't buy into the "At least they're reading" mentality. I think that's a lie.

We are also FINE with her reading below ability. If she wants to read great, quality children's literature meant for the 2-3rd grade group, I'm FINE with it. If she wants to read quality children's picture books, I'm FINE with it. She's in the fifth grade. I still have LOTS of time to pull her up levels. Right now I just want her reading QUALITY books and making good use of her time. With those two habits firmly in place, she'll be ready to take on high school when she gets there.

I would have doubted this SERIOUSLY until I experienced my DS - now 13.5. He did NOT like reading. Reading was incredibly difficult for him. Most of the time, this boy, as 9-11 would choose to NAP rather than read. The allowing to stay up later if you read is powerful motivation, lol. And, he is ravenous when it comes to books now. His ability to read well beyond his "level" and read "hard" books is almost on par with his older sister's ability and she is a natural. She reads more books than any person, adult or child, I have ever met. (And she reads almost entirely only classical lit because she is also the biggest book snob I've ever met and the only person I've ever met IRL to read Dicken's Bleak House, lol.)

Edited by BlsdMama

Make sure there is not a reason he doesn't "like" reading. My 7 yr old didn't like reading either, it just wasn't fun for him at all, BUT he did like for me to read to him. Turns out the muscles in his eyes only work at 30% making reading very difficult- that's why he didn't like it, he is in vision therapy now working really hard because he now knows why he didn't "like" reading. He is excited about being able to read.