Menu

If your children are required to test every year...

MamaHappy

do you take this into consideration when buying your curriculum? Do you buy materials that are up to current standards so they can do well on the standardized test?

I've been thinking about this more lately for some reason. For example, we use R&S for math and I really like it. However, it is not up to current standards, especially in the early grades. This hasn't really bothered me much, but lately I've been wondering if my children wouldn't benefit from a more modern math program? Does it matter if they all get to the same place in the end?

I guess I'm just thinking out loud here and wondering how other homeschoolers feel about it??

Just one experience--

We are NOT required to test in our state; I just did so for my own information. We chose only curricula that I felt matched our own personal educational goals and did absolutely zero test prep and worried not one bit over whether what we taught would match what was in the test (in fact, I was quite certain there would be areas covered we had not yet touched such as modern history and American history, and life sciences).

My kids scored off the charts in nearly every area, and at very worst, slightly above average in their "worst" areas-- including my special needs son, just from their general reading outside of "school."

A strong, well-planned, long-term curriculum and a habit of reading should take care of any testing. Improving test scores from year to year is more important than the test scores in any given year.

I'd let that be your guide and not fall into the trap of worrying over the upcoming content of a given test.

Over time, we will cover areas they had not seen yet when we wish to schedule them. I expect they will continue to test very well without us needing to worry about what the test wishes to cover.

FYI we used the Stanford 10.

Edited by NittanyJen
added in the test we used.

We are required to test every year. I teach to the test for approximately 2-4 weeks before testing (using grade level appropriate practice tests), otherwise I do NOT worry about whether or not what we are using is "meeting core standards." My children who test well always do well. My children who don't test well do *okay* enough.

We use CAT/5 Complete Battery, so it is an old standardized test, but meets the requirements, and since that is the only reason I'm doing the testing that's fine with me. I have my 10th grade and up students take the ACT each year. Again, my better students and test-takers do well, and my not so great students/test-takers do ... well, not so great. :tongue_smilie:

HTH

We are required to test every year, but we do not have to submit the results to anyone. I don't think about it at all when choosing curriculum. I pick what I think will work best for my dc through the year. I'm not going to pick something that might not suit them as well just for a hoop we have to jump through at the end of the year. They have done fine on their tests thus far with no prep and without me trying to match my curriculum to the test.

we test every year -are required to, and no, in the past I did not take that into consideration with my curricula choices. Except the last year...we use Math U See and it is mastery, and for instance, one year will be multiplication and that is it. The kids test pretty badly in math until high school when it all comes together, the last two years it got to me, and my somewhat perfectionist youngest was really upset about the test, so last year I ordered another math program to use with MUS.

we do the short form CAT which is only math and english, and I do go over anything that they havent covered for a few weeks before the test. but we are a tad ahead in math - that would be hard to cram, i think. but otoh, we used the upper level singapore, which is all out of sequence, but it was not a problem. Oh, and the CAT tested capitalization in 1st but none of our curriculum covered it. he didnt do great on it, but he doesnt have to - they only have to score 25th percentile, so thats fine. My goal is not good test scores, my goal is independent learners who have the skills they will need to succeed in life.

We have to test every year, also. I do not teach to the test in any way. My oldest has done very well on the tests and I expect my middle will this year on his first test.

I do remember the first test my oldest took. He had to pick the White House out of a group of 4 black and white pictures. We had not studied American History at all. He looked at me and said, "But, Mom these are all white houses." I laughed so hard and told him to pick the one he thinks the president lives in. I believe he picked the wrong one and we read a little bit about the white house after that because he was interested. I still think his response is funny and will most likely be a fond memory of the pain of testing for many years to come.

We are required to test every year, but we do not have to submit the results to anyone. I don't think about it at all when choosing curriculum. I pick what I think will work best for my dc through the year. I'm not going to pick something that might not suit them as well just for a hoop we have to jump through at the end of the year. They have done fine on their tests thus far with no prep and without me trying to match my curriculum to the test.

^ this exactly! Same state actually ;) NC

We aren't required to report the results, just required to give the test, so for us, they have nothing to do with each other. He had his first test last year and had no issues at all.

No. We test every year because we are required to. There isn't a single test result I've been shocked by.

When we were doing Math U See, we knew that our daughter was learning math in a different order than what the standard math program uses. We did it anyway.

I don't teach to the test either.

I would not change a curriculum that I really liked for the sake of testing. I would change if I had good reason (my kids were not learning from it and their scores were bottomed-out low for example...). I wouldn't change just to get "better" scores, especially if I knew the curriculum would have them end up in the same place. Finding a curriculum that you like is worth a lot in my opinion! Merry :-)

I won't change a curriculum I like, but I do have my oldest DD work through a Spectrum test prep book in the spring, and I did add Evan-Moor Daily Paragraph Editing when her mechanics scores were quite a bit lower than all the other verbal sub-tests.

I also have DD work through a formal vocabulary program in part to prep her for the SAT in 7th grade for CTY and in H.S. for college admissions purposes. It isn't the only reason, but it is *A* reason.

I absolutely do care about whether or not my kids can take standardized tests well.

One of the few obejective pieces of information the outside world has to evaluate my homeschooled kids is the standardized test. Why would I not want them to score as highly as possible? Why would I want people to consider my kids as behind the average if I could help it?

At some point, my kids will be assessed by someone other than I, though it may not be until college admissions. This will most likely occur through standardized testing. I want my kids to score the highest possible scores so that they will have the most opportunities in life.

Therefore, I do give some thought about including resources among my curricula which help us cover all of the general grade level skills and knowledge. I primarily use the Core Knowledge K-8 Sequence as my guide to see if there are any holes to fill.

That said, I think if you do a solid curriculum which is at least at grade level, you will not find many holes. The main things I add are Editor in Chief workbooks and Language Smarts workbooks, both from the Critical Thinking Co. They are helpful for practicing test taking skills.

do you take this into consideration when buying your curriculum? Do you buy materials that are up to current standards so they can do well on the standardized test?

I've been thinking about this more lately for some reason. For example, we use R&S for math and I really like it. However, it is not up to current standards, especially in the early grades. This hasn't really bothered me much, but lately I've been wondering if my children wouldn't benefit from a more modern math program? Does it matter if they all get to the same place in the end?

I guess I'm just thinking out loud here and wondering how other homeschoolers feel about it??

I haven't taken it into consideration, and I don't see me changing that. :)

I'm kind of like you say there - they all get to the same place in the end. The kids don't have to pass by a high composite here, so I'm not real concerned.

Speaking of testing, though, I did decide that I'm going to buy some test prep books for them to practice with maybe once every couple of weeks or so starting in January. Just for familiarity and because we don't test like that on a regular basis, kwim?

No.....and yes. I do look at the state standards before I pick my curriculum. I follow the math guidelines. I never need anything for LA cause my dd tests so far ahead that her overall scores have started to go down (because they only test up to a 10th grade level and so when there isn't any improvement her trajectory goes down. This is so stupid. She aces it and her test scores imply that she is losing skills. California in a nutshell). I do use the spectrum test practice for a couple of weeks before testing because dd likes to be prepared.

I absolutely do care about whether or not my kids can take standardized tests well.

One of the few obejective pieces of information the outside world has to evaluate my homeschooled kids is the standardized test. Why would I not want them to score as highly as possible? Why would I want people to consider my kids as behind the average if I could help it?

At some point, my kids will be assessed by someone other than I, though it may not be until college admissions. This will most likely occur through standardized testing. I want my kids to score the highest possible scores so that they will have the most opportunities in life.

Therefore, I do give some thought about including resources among my curricula which help us cover all of the general grade level skills and knowledge. I primarily use the Core Knowledge K-8 Sequence as my guide to see if there are any holes to fill.

That said, I think if you do a solid curriculum which is at least at grade level, you will not find many holes. The main things I add are Editor in Chief workbooks and Language Smarts workbooks, both from the Critical Thinking Co. They are helpful for practicing test taking skills.

Thank you for responding, I appreciate you sharing your perspective!

We're required to test every year, but I don't choose curriculum with that in mind at all.

We also don't do any sort of test prep. My kids test well, so I just don't see the point in stressing about it, especially considering that our district has never asked to see their results.

Edited to add: I'm not referring to college testing here. That's a completely different kind of testing to standardized testing in the elementary grades. My daughter did prep for the ACT when she took it, and she scored exceptionally well.

Edited by sailmom

I'm not too concerned about the yearly tests -- those are mostly just feedback for me...

... on the other hand, I do keep a very keen eye towards SAT prep (which is some ways off for us still) -- that number is going to have out-sized importance to us, what with the lack of a 3rd party HS transcript.

^ this exactly! Same state actually ;) NC

We aren't required to report the results, just required to give the test, so for us, they have nothing to do with each other. He had his first test last year and had no issues at all.

Same here.

To the OP, dd12 finished R&S 6 last year and her math score skyrocketed on her testing. I tried moving her to MM in 4th grade. DS excels with it, but it wasn't for her. R&S works great for some. Hang in there.

I have never taught to a test and never will. Everything I choose for my children are chosen for them not the masses. Honestly, I really don't care at this point how they do on the tests. We keep an eye on reading/math, but beyond that I don't care. You just need to decide which is more important... that your kids do well on the test or that they are educated well. Oh, and we are required to test and my kids have always done above average.

• 2 weeks later...

We are required to test every year (we are in VA, although my board name is set from when we lived in MD!), and I do not do anything differently because of it. I don't teach to the test, we don't take practice exams, I don't pick material based on the test. We use R&S for grammar in elementary school, although I've never used it for math. All that being said, my kids have consistently done well on their standardized tests. Over the past three years we have used the Iowa Tests twice and the CAT once, and the lowest composite score any of my children (elementary school through high school ages) have received is a 98th percentile.

So, from my perspective, I would argue that material specifically aligned to state standards would be just one more bureaucratic thing for me to worry about. :) If you are using material that you are happy with, and your children are making progress with their academic work, that is a more effective way to gauge what to use than looking for something with an "Aligned to State Standards" star on the cover. Not saying those materials are better or worse than what you are using, just saying if your curriculum is giving you good results, there is no reason to look for something different. Just my $0.02.