Menu

My OB's Wife had a Homebirth and We finally had the talk

Soror

Perhaps you might remember me posting about anxiety with using my OB back-up. I've used him the last 2 times and he has never gave me any hassle but we've never explicitly discussed the fact that I plan to have homebirths. I live in a rural area in a completely "non-crunchy" state. A lot of people are kind of hostile to the idea of hb's and I try not to bring it up unless asked.

Anyway, I've had huge anxiety every visit because I've wondered if he would still be ok if we discussed it out right, kind of like don't ask- don't tell. However, the last visit I had gave me even more anxiety because I have no idea how much I'll be charged.

So, finally after the last visit I talked to dh and told him we had to bring it out in the open because I couldn't take the anxiety anymore. So, dh brought up the billing issue. Good news there was he told me he thought the charges should be very minimal if I'm having a homebirth.

His wife, who is also his nurse, was in the room and she mentioned about how doctors stress her out and she doesn't like being a patient so they had a homebirth. I was floored by that, as I know a lot of med professionals say that every women should be at the hospital in case of emergency so there is access to surgery equipment and all that jazz.

He didn't say anything at all disparaging and was very supportive, which given our area is just astounding. He talked as if it was just a normal thing and considering I very, very rarely find anyone who has had a hb it just blew my mind.

So, it is good for me that now if I get any harassment I can let them know that my OB is not concerned and they shouldn't be either. He is regarded as the best in our area as well, so that cannot hurt either. Next visit he told me that he would have a talk with the billing lady so they can give me an amount, which will be a load off as well. It is hard to budget when you have no idea if it will be $500 or $2500.

Edited by soror

Hooray!

I told my backup OB that I was planning an out of hospital birth (I had to rent a house across the state line to birth, as it's illegal here to have a trained attendant at a homebirth :tongue_smilie:). He said he was really glad I told him, because he knew there were several patients seeing him that were having homebirths, but none of them actually told him! He just appreciated knowing the plans. He even called my midwife once to ask a question about tandem nursing for one of his patients. :D

It was nice knowing that if something happened, I wouldn't get the 3rd degree in the hospital. BTDT. My first birth was supposed to be out of hospital, but water broke at 29 weeks. Went to hospital and was assigned the teaching group. The residents were pretty nice, and one commented on how good my midwife's records were (and she only sent half of them - the medical part, not the personal part). The nurses, on the other hand... Follow hospital policy even if it's detrimental to the patient's health. We learned then that my midwife follows evidence based medicine more than my hospital does, and it turned my DH into an avid homebirth supporter. :D Next two kids were successful out of hospital births, since I had the backup OB. ;)

Thanks all, I am absolutely so relieved it has been weighing so heavy on my mind not to actually talk about it. I didn't even call to schedule an appt for the first 20 weeks as I was so nervous. I thought perhaps he might think we didn't make it to the hospital on-time with our first homebirth but by the second he had to have figured out we weren't planning to in the first place!!! Now I won't be so nervous calling for my rhogram shot after birth either.

Hooray!

I told my backup OB that I was planning an out of hospital birth (I had to rent a house across the state line to birth, as it's illegal here to have a trained attendant at a homebirth :tongue_smilie:). He said he was really glad I told him, because he knew there were several patients seeing him that were having homebirths, but none of them actually told him! He just appreciated knowing the plans. He even called my midwife once to ask a question about tandem nursing for one of his patients. :D

mi

It was nice knowing that if something happened, I wouldn't get the 3rd degree in the hospital. BTDT. My first birth was supposed to be out of hospital, but water broke at 29 weeks. Went to hospital and was assigned the teaching group. The residents were pretty nice, and one commented on how good my midwife's records were (and she only sent half of them - the medical part, not the personal part). The nurses, on the other hand... Follow hospital policy even if it's detrimental to the patient's health. We learned then that my midwife follows evidence based medicine more than my hospital does, and it turned my DH into an avid homebirth supporter. :D Next two kids were successful out of hospital births, since I had the backup OB. ;)

I told dh I wonder if he assumes we are using a mw or unassisted, surely he wouldn't be so cool with it if he didn't think we had a mw but that part didn't come up.

I don't see him calling her though! I've never had to transfer but I've always been scared that I would, which is one reason why I've had an OB back-up(that and I need rhogram which the MW cannot get and I don't want to go to the ER after birth). I did get a snarly nurse with the ped after my first hb, which was a wretched experience.

I didn't have a bad hospital experience w/ #1, as far as such things go. I really do love my OB. He is pretty laid back and didn't make me follow all the protocol but the nurses had to make sure to talk to him to approve everything. He's also the only one in our area that does VBAC's.