Menu

Quiverof10...

Jean, IRRC, you have used SWR in the past and you're now using Barton for one of your kids. I believe my 7 yo is dyslexic although she has not yet been diagnosed. Could you tell me how Barton is different from SWR and whether it's really worth the price? I've seen wonderful reviews of Barton all over the internet, and since I work outside the home I need a program that is relatively easy to teach.

I can't decide whether to continue on with a cheaper program and see how dd progresses in the 6 months to a year, or whether to go ahead and buy Barton now rather than losing more time if other programs don't work for her. Right now, we're using Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons. It has phonemic awareness exercises built into the lessons, which has been helpful.

She has an appt on July 30 for an APD evaluation, so I probably won't buy anything new before then. In the meantime, I'm trying to gather as much information as I can.

Anyone else who has an opinion is welcome to answer, too. :001_smile:

Thanks!

I do have Barton's and I am not using it yet, but I will try to answer best I can. We did use SWR and my son did make some progress with it, but he needed more. We had tried 100 EZ lessons, SWR and one other program which the name escapes me right now lol and after 2 years he was still struggling to sound of 3 letter words. I like how Barton's teaches the concepts, starting with blank tiles and working on syllabels. I found SWR lacking in this and feel that to really decode words, these kids need to know how to tell the syllabels apart and what it means ie: open=long, closed= short and so on. I never learned this with SWR or 100 EZ lessons.

Have you watched any of Susan Barton's clips from her web site? She talks very slow and people find it maddening LOL, but I spent a weekend watching her clips and then I had some questions. I called her office and she came right on the phone and she spent over 30 minutes speaking with me. She has also emailed me, the same day, with any questions I had. I was sold.

The levels are expensive and I debated using Wilson instead because of the price. But with Barton's you get over 5 hours of instructional DVD with each level and instant access to Susan. That, for me, is priceless! Keep in the resale value of Barton's is excellent and you can sell the old to purchase the new.

I hope this helps some!

Thanks, Jean, that's exactly what I needed to know. I didn't want to spend so much money if the program does basically what SWR or any other standard program does. I have definitely noticed that my dd needs everything broken down into the smallest bits, and it sounds like Barton does that.

I have watched some of Susan's videos. Her website is a wealth of knowledge and has been very helpful for me!