Menu

Going to get allergy patch off in 45 minutes...

I really hope this gives us some rash answers for ds. He's got 29 patches on for various metals and other common allergens.

I know he is allergic to the metal in jeans, but i dont know which component, although it's likely nickel.

The rash on his back and hives on his butt can be explained by landry detergent. Alergist said when ds gets wet or sweaty it can release the detergent and cause the rash. This works for me. I've been rinsing his clothes an extra time before drying.

I'll update when we get back.

Extra rinsing didn't work for us. We had to switch to Seventh Generation Free and Clear.

Did you do blood testing prior to the skin testing? My daughter just had blood testing done and I'm wondering what other people's experience has been with that. Things that I'm pretty sure she reacts to came up as negative in the test.

This was by far the most torturous allergy appt he's ever had! He had 3 sticky panels across his upper back and secured with medical tape. The Dr tried taking them and ds freaked, so he went to see 2 other patients. I gave ds ample time before grabbing him and getting them off as gently as possible. His back was angry red! It already looks better now.

So far none of them have reacted. I put a mark next to nickel and cobalt because those are the 2 i'm most interested in seeing. If, by monday, none of them react i'll have to figure it out on my own. I have no doubt he reacts to sonething in the button or snap on jeans.

His back is completely clear! This is not cool.

Allergist has thrown out a few possibilities for me to test.

His first thought is that, despite negative testing, he's allergic to nickel and now his belly is so sensitive that he's reacting to other things in that spot. Dr thinks detergent is the first thing i should change.

So, which detergent should i use (is ALL free clear really that safe to use?)? How many times should i wash his stuff? He only has a handful of clothes, so i could do it all in a load + 2 loads for blankets.

I use All F&C. I've tried other brands of F&C and had bad results allergy-wise. I would wash and double rinse at least once all his clothes and blankets and then see what happens.

I've been in the same boat of knowing that your child is allergic to something specific but the tests not showing that. Very frustrating.:grouphug:

Thank you! :)

The nurse practioner today was mentioning polyester as a posibility and as i was folding his clothes, i checked the tags. The few pants i folded tonight had 20, 30, and 100% polyester. Before i get new detergent, i will try limiting his pants for the next couple weeks. If he clears up completely, i will separately test the nickel and polyester. If he does not clear up, i'll get some new detergent (stinks because i just bought detergent this weekend! Lol).

The allergist said that if i ever figure it out to let him know so it can go in ds's medical file. I had hoped that the dr was going to tell me what to avoid.

We used to use All Free and Clear but it didn't get our clothes clean enough. When my dh sweats, he SWEATS. His 'clean' clothes were not clean smelling.

I've been using Purex hypoallergenic and so far, it is cleaning well.

And today I just bought Costco's Kirkland brand sensitive/hypoallergenic (120 loads) so I hope it cleans well.

I use Allen's Naturally powder - that's another option for you. It is good for people with chemical sensitivities.

https://www.allensnaturally.com/product_info.php?products_id=38&osCsid=06bb50974b6ff324f1f9ed25c49c252e

I hope you find out what it is. :grouphug: I had hives on and off last year and the allergist never did figure it out. My suspicion is a reaction to sunscreen, but I can't be sure.

Also, I am allergic to many things, but didn't react at all to the skin test. When they injected things under my skin, however, my arm swelled up and continued to be red and painful for a week. The skin tests are not always accurate!

We used to use All Free and Clear but it didn't get our clothes clean enough. When my dh sweats, he SWEATS. His 'clean' clothes were not clean smelling.

I've been using Purex hypoallergenic and so far, it is cleaning well.

And today I just bought Costco's Kirkland brand sensitive/hypoallergenic (120 loads) so I hope it cleans well.

DD18 does well with Purex hypoallergenic, All free and Clear, and Arm&Hammer Free. We ended up using that for the whole family because it goes on sale occasionally.

Before we switched to the whole family using A&H clear, I used to just wash both DDs clothes in the A&H clear and use regular soap for everyone else. I also use an extra cold rinse on for the DDs.

So, which detergent should i use (is ALL free clear really that safe to use?)? How many times should i wash his stuff? He only has a handful of clothes, so i could do it all in a load + 2 loads for blankets.

I use Melaleuca unscented detergent for DD. All F&C was better than Tide Free (that stuff was HORRIBLE), but Melaleuca is the best for her. You may have to try different brands before finding out what works for your son.

Since you mentioned the polyester...I once developed an allergy to bOOKshelves made with synthetic fibers. I don't know if it was a true allergy or things weren't breathing enough and I had one nursing, because it seems to have gone away over time. I was fine once I switched to all cotton bOOkshelves.

The dermatologist recommended the 100% cotton or if I used a shelf made from something other than cotton, he told me I shouldn't wash it in hot water or use bleach because that will cause the materials to break down and that could trigger the allergy.

I would consider avoiding synthetic fibers and being careful how you wash and see how it goes.