Menu

Snakes in the Dorm Room?

Candid

My 13 yo has been lobbying for a snake, but I can't help but notice they are fairly long lived.

I've told him I don't think he could take it to college with him and I have my doubts about giving it away.

Is anyone aware of rules at their student's college in regards to pets in containers, like snakes?

They are not allowed in either of my guys dorms.

As middle son put it for his school, it has to be able to live 24 hours under water to be ok. (In other words, fish are ok, but that's it and I think there's a 5 gallon limit on the size of the tank, but I'm not super sure on that.)

I could see there being a major problem in a dorm if a snake were to get loose both with other students who may be scared and with finding it if it found a place to curl up.

BUT, there are a few colleges that have pet dorms. MAYBE they are allowed there. I don't know. They may just allow furry pets.

Most colleges aren't going to allow snakes. Having said that, I'm on a board that is mostly professionals who work with snakes (breeders, vets, pet store owners and so on-my 7 1/2 yr old would be herpetologist wanted to learn more, and the folks on this forum were more than willing to allow her to have an account as long as I was there, too so I could moderate it), and there are quite a few people there who have stories of keeping a snake in a rubbermaid box under their bed :).

My suggestion for your son, though-go through a rescue (or, in our case, our local homeschool board) and adopt an adult snake-look at the lifespan and figure out how many years you have before he leaves home, and go from there. There are quite a few out there-and often they're being rehomed because someone is leaving and going to college. My DD recently inherited a 5 yr old corn snake from an older teen in our homeschool group and the primary reason was because the senior's mother was pushing her to find a new home for the snake BEFORE she graduated (and her schedule was such that she really wasn't spending any time with her pet). Since DD is 7, and 15 is getting up there for a corn snake, there's a very good chance that we'll be able to be Wadjet's forever home for the rest of her natural lifespan, without leaving me with a snake when DD goes to college.

Hmmm, I will admit I'm trying to dodge a snake bullet here. I don't mind snakes, but the idea of feeding them mice doesn't make me jump up and down and I would not want to get stuck with this creature when he goes to college.

I must admit the get an older snake idea is a good one.

My oldest got a snake at age 10 and another at age 11. By the time he was 15 or 16 he was tired of the snakes and advertised them to our homeschool support group. Another family was thrilled to take the 2 (with all their gear) off our hands.

His college does not permit pets of any kind and the house he rents now has the same rules.