Menu

Latina Christiana 2 questions - mistakes in TM answers??

I'm on lesson 5 and have several questions.

The grammar lesson states that adjectives of quantity (size, how many, etc.) precede their nouns and adjectives of quality (like good, new, etc.) follow their nouns.

But in Exercise B sentence 5, it says "Sanctus Deus." As far as I can tell, sanctus is not an adjective of quantity, so why is it preceding Deus?

Next problem: Exercise C, sentence 2 - why is wall translated as vallum instead of murum? Nothing in the English sentence tells me the wall is a rampart.

Next: Exercise C, sentences 3 and 4 - "great glory" is translated as "magnam gloriam" - OK, it's a stretch for me, but I could see that great is an adjective of quantity and should come before the noun. But in sentence 4 where "eternal life" is translated as "vitam aeternam," - because of the stretch my mind did for sentence 3, I could think that "eternal" is an adjective of quantity as well, yet it doesn't follow the grammar pattern taught.

Any helpful answers out there? :) (and am I going to encounter these things all through LC2?)

I'm on lesson 5 and have several questions.

The grammar lesson states that adjectives of quantity (size, how many, etc.) precede their nouns and adjectives of quality (like good, new, etc.) follow their nouns.

But in Exercise B sentence 5, it says "Sanctus Deus." As far as I can tell, sanctus is not an adjective of quantity, so why is it preceding Deus?

Adjectives and genitives normally follow their nouns, while determinative and intensive pronouns and adjectives of quantity or precision normally precede their nouns. Certain combinations of nouns have settled into a stereotyped order. ("Latin Grammar," by Hale and Buck.) You'll note that the key word here is "normally," as in, this is how it is normally done, but that also implies that sometimes it isn't done that way at all.

"No general law can be laid down for the position of adjectives. On the whole they precede the noun oftener than they follow it." ("Essential Latin Grammar," Charles Bennett, rev. Anne Mahoney ). Bennett goes on to explain the typical position of adjectives of quantity. Again, note the word "typical."

Cambridge's "A Student's Latin Grammar" also repeats the size and quantity rule, but goes on to state "the Romans did not observe this as a strict rule."

Next problem: Exercise C, sentence 2 - why is wall translated as vallum instead of murum? Nothing in the English sentence tells me the wall is a rampart....Any helpful answers out there? :) (and am I going to encounter these things all through LC2?)

They don't really give much context for this one, do they? I wouldn't worry too much about it. If you're giving the correct form (ie. accusative singular) then it really comes down to a difference in word choice.

To answer your question regarding whether you'll have more questions like this, well, as you progress in your study of Latin syntax (how the words go together) you'll find that Latin has some general rules about word order, but the reason you have to learn all the endings is because Latin authors will often put words in a certain order based on what they are trying to emphasize in their communication. They are not obliged to follow the word order rules strictly.

Adjectives and genitives normally follow their nouns, while determinative and intensive pronouns and adjectives of quantity or precision normally precede their nouns. Certain combinations of nouns have settled into a stereotyped order. ("Latin Grammar," by Hale and Buck.) You'll note that the key word here is "normally," as in, this is how it is normally done, but that also implies that sometimes it isn't done that way at all.

"No general law can be laid down for the position of adjectives. On the whole they precede the noun oftener than they follow it." ("Essential Latin Grammar," Charles Bennett, rev. Anne Mahoney ). Bennett goes on to explain the typical position of adjectives of quantity. Again, note the word "typical."

Cambridge's "A Student's Latin Grammar" also repeats the size and quantity rule, but goes on to state "the Romans did not observe this as a strict rule."

They don't really give much context for this one, do they? I wouldn't worry too much about it. If you're giving the correct form (ie. accusative singular) then it really comes down to a difference in word choice.

To answer your question regarding whether you'll have more questions like this, well, as you progress in your study of Latin syntax (how the words go together) you'll find that Latin has some general rules about word order, but the reason you have to learn all the endings is because Latin authors will often put words in a certain order based on what they are trying to emphasize in their communication. They are not obliged to follow the word order rules strictly.

Thank you so much for your clear explanations!

After I posted, it occurred to me that I should check the MP forums - sure enough, there were explanations of some of these things (esp. the adjectives and where they are placed in a sentence and why and that they can vary for emphasis). It's just a little tough for a Latin novice, to be told of a rule, then seemingly see that rule broken in the very same lesson. But I get it now. This Latin business is NOT going to be easy for me! :) But onward I go.....

Thank you so much for your clear explanations!

After I posted, it occurred to me that I should check the MP forums - sure enough, there were explanations of some of these things (esp. the adjectives and where they are placed in a sentence and why and that they can vary for emphasis). It's just a little tough for a Latin novice, to be told of a rule, then seemingly see that rule broken in the very same lesson. But I get it now. This Latin business is NOT going to be easy for me! :) But onward I go.....

It sounds like you're doing great! Those were fabulous questions! :001_smile: