Menu

Tech question that is driving me batty

We have our wi-fi set up as a secure network. We live around a lot of people and can "see" lots of networks as options. Ours is set up to ours alone and no one else is using it, we had that issue last year before we secured the network. However, if I look at the network section of the computer it shows two other items under "Network Infrastructure". I'm assuming they are routers and they aren't ours.

So is this an issue? Ds sees the same systems on his computer under network. Are these random routers that we have picked up? Is it other routers trying to use our system? Are these other devices? Ds's Xbox will show up, but what about phones?

Everything I google doesn't help.

We have a secure network but it can be seen by other people. We can see our neighbors networks (most of them are secure) and then the wi-fi at McDonalds, BK, Starbucks, etc. We all have stored my dd's network (also secure) and a few guest networks (obviously not as secure) and our computers are set with a default (our own) and then it automatically changes to my dd's when we are at her house (she lives in GA). We live close enough that my kids can pick up our signal in the parking lot at work and in the McDonalds parking lot (both right across the street). When our signal is weak (we have seven computers plus a few netflik devices on our network so sometimes it has a lot of traffic) they can sign on to one of the guest networks.

I agree with the PP. Also, just because you can see a network, doesn't mean you can log in and use it; typically you need the password.

My laptop itself can be a wifi hot spot. So in, say, a hotel room where there is a physical ethernet connection but no wifi, I can plug in my laptop and it can then act as a wifi hot spot for the rest of the family to use their devices to access the hotel's network.

If my settings have this feature turned on, then it shows up in nearby computer's wifi network options list.

We have a secure network but it can be seen by other people. We can see our neighbors networks (most of them are secure) and then the wi-fi at McDonalds, BK, Starbucks, etc. We all have stored my dd's network (also secure) and a few guest networks (obviously not as secure) and our computers are set with a default (our own) and then it automatically changes to my dd's when we are at her house (she lives in GA). We live close enough that my kids can pick up our signal in the parking lot at work and in the McDonalds parking lot (both right across the street). When our signal is weak (we have seven computers plus a few netflik devices on our network so sometimes it has a lot of traffic) they can sign on to one of the guest networks.

I can see a lot of the networks in one area, but this is in another area under networks.

Dh says anything that uses wireless will show up - phones, tablets, ipods, wii, etc all get their own IP address and will show up on your network. HTH!

Ah, that might be it then. Ds had his phone on wifi. Dh will use the wifi on his phone too. Generally we use the 3G with our service though.

I agree with the PP. Also, just because you can see a network, doesn't mean you can log in and use it; typically you need the password.

My laptop itself can be a wifi hot spot. So in, say, a hotel room where there is a physical ethernet connection but no wifi, I can plug in my laptop and it can then act as a wifi hot spot for the rest of the family to use their devices to access the hotel's network.

If my settings have this feature turned on, then it shows up in nearby computer's wifi network options list.

It's annoying that it shows up, but as long as I can't use it and they can't use ours it's all good.

Thank you all. I love Hive tech support, better than the Geek Squad.