Menu

AAR 2 Question

newhsmom

My 2nd grader has just started AAS 2. I had planned on using AAS to make sure we didn't have any gaps in her phonics. I am wondering if AAR 2 would be a good investment or if it would really be redundant if we are already doing AAS. I looked at the samples of AAR 2 and I am just not sure. I wonder if AAR 2 might be too easy for her. She went through Progressive Phonics and Funnix. Any thoughts?

Have you looked at the "What will my student learn in level 2?" list? You can also look at samples of the two books. The second to last story is shown in the Queen Bee example. Look through them, even print it out and see where her ability is.

I bought it this morning for my dyslexic ds. I know we'll zoom through the beginning, but I'm ok with that.

AAS and AAR both use the same sequence and the same phonograms. Both are complete phonics programs, so they are interrelated in that way. AAS teaches words from the spelling angle, and AAR teaches words from the reading angle.

All About Reading includes research-based instruction in decoding skills, fluency, automaticity, comprehension, vocabulary and lots and lots of reading practice. AAS focuses instead on encoding skills, spelling rules and other strategies that help children become good spellers.

Does your daughter pick up reading skills quickly and easily? She might be fine with just AAS. If she tends to benefit from direct reading instruction, if you would like extra support in teaching reading concepts, or if she struggles with learning to read, then AAR 2 would probably be beneficial. I agree with the PP, take a look at the reader samples if you haven't already and see what you think of those as well as the list of what AAR 2 will cover (about 1/3 of the way down the page). HTH some, Merry :-)

If your daughter is already reading fluently, she likely won't need AAR 2. What we did with my oldest who'd already had a phonics program, is mostly finish phonics then start AAS. With my 2nd who hasn't had phonics yet, we're doing AAR with her, then if she needs encoding help we'll do AAS once her reading is established.

Also just wanted to say that if you're really on the fence, why not give it a try. AALP has an awesome return policy/guarantee

You'll get our "Go Ahead and Use It" one-year guarantee. You have one full year to try out our programs. If you find that any of the curriculums do not meet your needs, simply return the materials at any time within one year of purchase for a full refund of your purchase price, no questions asked.

AAS and AAR both use the same sequence and the same phonograms. Both are complete phonics programs, so they are interrelated in that way. AAS teaches words from the spelling angle, and AAR teaches words from the reading angle.

All About Reading includes research-based instruction in decoding skills, fluency, automaticity, comprehension, vocabulary and lots and lots of reading practice. AAS focuses instead on encoding skills, spelling rules and other strategies that help children become good spellers.

Does your daughter pick up reading skills quickly and easily? She might be fine with just AAS. If she tends to benefit from direct reading instruction, if you would like extra support in teaching reading concepts, or if she struggles with learning to read, then AAR 2 would probably be beneficial. I agree with the PP, take a look at the reader samples if you haven't already and see what you think of those as well as the list of what AAR 2 will cover (about 1/3 of the way down the page). HTH some, Merry :-)

So does this mean that you wouldn't use them both at the same time? Would you finish AAR 1 & 2 and then start AAS 1? I'm just kind of curious...I love the look of AAR 2, but I'm sure my dd is beyond it. We are about half way through AAS 1 and she recently started LoE. I see that what AAR 2 covers is pretty much covered in LoE....so I guess it would be overkill to also get AAR 2. Right??? I'm actually trying to be talked out of even considering it. :lol:

So does this mean that you wouldn't use them both at the same time? Would you finish AAR 1 & 2 and then start AAS 1? I'm just kind of curious...I love the look of AAR 2, but I'm sure my dd is beyond it. We are about half way through AAS 1 and she recently started LoE. I see that what AAR 2 covers is pretty much covered in LoE....so I guess it would be overkill to also get AAR 2. Right??? I'm actually trying to be talked out of even considering it. :lol:

It doesn't mean you wouldn't use them at the same time, but it does mean that you don't need to line the lessons up in any way. The author recommends starting spelling after completing AAR 1. The first steps in AAS 1 quickly review concepts that are taught more gradually throughout AAR 1. So, one can start AAS any time after AAR 1.

Now, as for whether *YOU* in particular should get AAR 2 for your daughter...My first rule of curriculum shopping is don't fix what's not broken! If what you have is working for you, it doesn't sound like you need to switch. Does she need extra review beyond what's in LOE? Then you might consider adding it on. It sounds like you just started--I think I'd see how it goes for a time and then evaluate whether you need to change or add to what you have.

HTH! Merry :-)

It doesn't mean you wouldn't use them at the same time, but it does mean that you don't need to line the lessons up in any way. The author recommends starting spelling after completing AAR 1. The first steps in AAS 1 quickly review concepts that are taught more gradually throughout AAR 1. So, one can start AAS any time after AAR 1.

Now, as for whether *YOU* in particular should get AAR 2 for your daughter...My first rule of curriculum shopping is don't fix what's not broken! If what you have is working for you, it doesn't sound like you need to switch. Does she need extra review beyond what's in LOE? Then you might consider adding it on. It sounds like you just started--I think I'd see how it goes for a time and then evaluate whether you need to change or add to what you have.

HTH! Merry :-)

Thank you Merry!