Menu

Help me brain storm additions to this math curriculum

Jean in Newcastle

We have started the Simply Charlotte Mason's "Your Business Math Series". Dd10 absolutely loves "running" her own sports store. The curriculum itself gives lots of practice in adding, subtracting and multiplying. There is some working with decimals and percents. I was thinking that I wanted to add other skills on my own to the curriculum. My idea is that next week we will remodel the store. I will have her figure out area and perimeter to figure out how much carpet we will need, how much shelving, and how much wall paper.

What kind of ideas could I use to work in graphing, division, metric measurement, volume and fractions with the sport store cover story?

I was thinking something like "hosting a 5K race" could be used for metrics, race times, perhaps a graph of the runner's times? Please help me to brain storm!

I'm thinking in terms of business math what my cousins in family business have to do.

Cost of assets

Taking stock of inventory

Depreciation of assets

Graph of sale volume of different types/brands of shoes

Cost of rental, utilities, wages vs earnings

Volume discount on bulk purchase of shoes, socks, sports items from supplier.

We have started the Simply Charlotte Mason's "Your Business Math Series". Dd10 absolutely loves "running" her own sports store. The curriculum itself gives lots of practice in adding, subtracting and multiplying. There is some working with decimals and percents. I was thinking that I wanted to add other skills on my own to the curriculum. My idea is that next week we will remodel the store. I will have her figure out area and perimeter to figure out how much carpet we will need, how much shelving, and how much wall paper.

What kind of ideas could I use to work in graphing, division, metric measurement, volume and fractions with the sport store cover story?

I was thinking something like "hosting a 5K race" could be used for metrics, race times, perhaps a graph of the runner's times? Please help me to brain storm!

why didnt I think of this when we were using it. I would love to see the plans when you have it finished. lol