Menu

favorite teaching tool

Seriously, Well-Trained Mind ranks in the top. Also some specific subject reference encyclopedias. I also have some higher level writing books that have been helpful. Basically books that make me feel more confident in my teaching.

So I'll just go around carrying a sign tonight. :iagree:

The only thing I have besides shelves of good and great books that has been usful for all three of my kids so far is TWTM, some maps, and a globe.

I second the whiteboard (Sometimes the mere fact of explaining/working a problem with motor movement does the trick) and encyclopedias (Of course, I primarily home-schooled the kids during the pre-internet-google everything days...)

Another LIFE saver: Those post-it tabs (not notes). They saved me and the kids countless annoying minutes of trying to find our place in everything from read-alouds, teacher notes, lessons, tests, answer keys, reading books, textbooks, you name it. They were so easy to keep moving to the correct page/next section and have decent stickability. I love my post-it tabs!

And I'd add: buying good books. Yes, I know many just check them out of the library. But with five kids, having our own good books on hand meant quality reading anytime. Even now, my post-college kids will come home on vacation and enjoy a delighted hour or two rereading some of our favorites. Good/Great books are a lifetime investment....

Lap sized dry erase boards. We use them every day and for multiple subjects. In fact, we've been doing this since ds16 was about 6 years old. One drawback is that he now hates writing on paper. I'm hoping he's going to learn that he can't take his dry erase board with him to college. :tongue_smilie:

Of course I should say internet but I see that as a way of life, not necessarily a school resource.

The Internet/Google (search engines)/computer.

My youngest (the currently homeschooled one) totally amazes me with the knowledge he spews out about things he's looked up on his own. Granted a lot of it is sheer trivia, but the fact that he's so curious about a wide variety of things and follows up by looking them up is something I find totally awesome. I can't imagine how different my childhood would have been if I'd had those resources.

Another LIFE saver: Those post-it tabs (not notes). They saved me and the kids countless annoying minutes of trying to find our place in everything from read-alouds, teacher notes, lessons, tests, answer keys, reading books, textbooks, you name it. They were so easy to keep moving to the correct page/next section and have decent stickability. I love my post-it tabs!

Seriously! :iagree::iagree:

Encyclopedia-type books - DK, Usborne type. Hard not to smile at a kid sitting at the kitchen table perusing a big ol' history encyclopedia.

Library cards.

Amazon prime (because we can't get everything from the library).

Coffee, wine, chocolate, frozen pizza.

Once again I'll disagree with most: I think the internet and most other tech is way overrated in education. I do use it and (see below) my daughter has several online classes that we LOVE! Still . . .

Anyway, as someone above said, subject specific reference books are a must around here. We have had to collect them slowly and I didn't have them all when I needed them but now i"m set to homeschool my grand children!

I think these are indispensable:

-- Bible and good commentary

-- Catechism of the Catholic Church and at least the 2nd St. Joseph's B'more Catechism

-- Good resource for Saints/martyrs (if I could only have one: The Golden Legend)

-- Gk/Roman mythology resources

-- encyclopedias

-- science encyclopedias

-- geography encyclopedias

-- LOT of poetry (by author and anthologies)

-- excellent adult/college level grammar resource (even if your kids are littles)

-- excellent literature: start now collecting wonderful books. An excellent resource list is at Angelicum.net. Start at pk and work through.

-- I also love my printer/copier.

-- Good set of colored pencils, permanent/dry-erase/wet-erase markers in a variety of colors,

-- I love my great big white board but we hardly ever use it now. In elem and much of middle we did but now hardly ever.

oh, a good globe. and you might as well make it a pretty one b/c it'll be around a while.

oh, oh, legos . . . from math concepts to catapult testing, from art to architecture. Must Have!

oh, oh, oh, seriously, a stocked pantry/freezer. yep, in all earnestness, it saves the day . . . of course, you probably can't get that from RR. too bad!

Edited by BibleBeltCatholicMom