Menu

Safety (or other) advice for home archery, please.

Pen

My son got interested in archery and started making himself bows and arrows out of branches and sticks.

Tomorrow visiting relatives want to get him a "real" bow and arrows.

What would be likely to be safe for a ten year old:

for example, compound or recurve bow, how many pounds,

type of arrows,

type of target set up,

any other safety equipment, etc.

Other issues you can think or to tell me? Other experience good or bad?

We are in country with a good bit of room, and other children around do have bows and arrows (which I must say does worry me some), but anyway it is done and is legal here. There are areas where there could be a good 50 yards room to set something up. It could be done toward a shed, although that would be hard. Easier would be toward a direction where there is a hill and creek on opposite side, or where there is a big scotch broom overgrowth mess (but maybe in these circumstances that would be helpful to stop a stray arrow).

Thank you!

We have an archery lane in our garage, so you don't really need 50 yards, especially for a beginner. My dd bought a recurve bow designed for kids (not a toy kind, but a light pull and smaller size), and it came with 3 or 5 arrows and a paper target. We bought 2 hay bales at a local farm-equipment store, and stacked them against a wall & put the target on the front of the top one. You can spend a ton on accessories - arrows, targets, sights, etc. - but I wouldn't go beyond the basics until you see if he's going to continue with this. I think we spent maybe $40 total, and most of that was for the bow.

We have a backyard archery target, too--a paper plate pinned to a few hay bales in a wooden frame shelter DH built. DH uses the full length of the space available but the kids stay pretty close, like 30 feet or less. Almost any kids' recurve is a fine first choice, you can upgrade if/when the kid needs it. Kids' archery equipment is generally on the dull and weak side so if basic safety rules are followed I think there is minimal danger. I agree with PP, don't spend money on the extras (like a fancy target, tab or armgaurd) until your children have been into it a while and fairly serious.

Basic safety rules are pretty no-brainers...don't walk in between a person with a bow and the target, everyone watching active archery stands behind the shooter, the person with the bow NEVER aims at any people, pets, etc, don't aim directly overhead, don't "dry fire" the bow (pull and release string without an arrow in it).

Expect lots of time looking for stray arrows if the area behind the target is brushy. Ours is, and that's fine with me, that also helps develop those observation skills! ;)

My kids are third-generation archers already and have enjoyed a lot of fun hikes and even a few friendly competitions. It is a great family hobby. Have fun!

Edited by jar7709

We only have one ground rule for shooting arrows, which is that everybody else must be behind you before you shoot. Daddy supervises them as well (so maybe that's two rules lol) but more to prevent arguments over whose turn it is than anything else. We have a home made target to shoot at, although I would like to get a hunting bow and teach them to shoot small game if they are interested when they're older.

My 9yo is a competitve archer. He shoots a compound with a mechanical release and sight. There are different categories for competitions. His draw at 4'10" and 100 lbs is currently 28 lbs. It's a bit much for him but he wants to shoot 20yds instead of 10yds which most of his age shoot.

We had him in archery classes for 2 years every other week before we bought him his own bow. We went to an archery shop with an indoor range and he got to try out lots of different bows over that time. Most of the kids on his team are recurve archers, a couple long bows. He's one of the only ones to use compound.

Our backyard archery lane is 20yds. We use a large target we got on sale at Bass Pro for $30. We attach paper targets to that. Same rule applies as above. No one in front of line of fire. My 9yo is super responsible.

Hope this helps!

My dd7 is getting a bow and some arrows and a target for christmas. She has become interested in archery through the Society for Creative Anachronism which is a medieval recreation group. There are local groups within a reasonable distance in many areas so you could check with a nearby group to see if there is a regular archery practice nearby.

Archery family here also! We started with an archery class, that the range rules and whistles were very much regulated and expected to be followed. They learned the right way, and we have brought the same expectations to our at home range.

WE do mainly recurve, but are going to be investing in compound for hunting purposes soon!

The others have given good advice. I'll just add my strong recommendation to supervise each and every time, no matter what. My own ds is quite responsible, so for me it's not a matter of trust. Rather, I supervise for two reasons: 1) The consequences for a little childish inattention just once are too awful to risk; 2) The neighbors are far more accepting of ds' hobby knowing that I am out there supervising.

Generally when ds wants to shoot for a bit, I bring a book or some handiwork or the phone outside and keep myself busy while keeping an eye on him. It really doesn't take much from my day.

Ds8 has recently gotten interested in archery. We use a paper target on a hay bale, and he has a small compound bow, draw weight is 18lbs I think. We follow the basic safety rules others have mentioned, but I also only let him use rounded tip safety arrows at this point as he is not as responsible with the bow as I would like.

All 3 of our kids have their own bows. My parents have a large enough yard for up to 30 yds of shooting, although the most any of the kids are shooting is only about 15 yds (as a PP stated, most of the lower end kids bows aren't very powerful at all). We keep their equipment at my parents house.

Safety rules for us is same as others, nobody even touches a bow unless an adult is with them. No shooting until the shooting lane is clear of people and animals, everybody stands behind the shooter. Do not point your arrow at any people or animals, even pretend. Do not dry fire, this is the best way to destroy your bow and archery equipment is expensive enough as it is.

I recommend taking your kiddo to a quality sporting goods store (Cabela's, Bass Pro Shop, Gander Mountain, local archery supply store, local sporting goods store) to have him try out different types of bows until he finds the one he's comfortable with. A good shop will measure him and set the bow up for him so it's the proper draw length and draw weight for him, plus they will cut arrows to the proper length. These are the bows our kids currently have: http://www.beararcheryproducts.com/bows/youth/brave3 http://www.beararcheryproducts.com/bows/youth/scout

I wouldn't get anything more than something like these until you know your son is going to stick with it. Once you know if your son is going to stick with it and he's stronger, you can move him up to a more challenging bow. My 11yo uses the Bear Brave 3 and loves archery, once he's strong enough he'll be moving up to my Diamond Razor Edge and I'll be getting a new one in the spring.

Don't load yourself up on accesories and stuff for now. The basic bow, arrows and a target setup is all he needs for now.

All the suggestions others have given for target setups are great. My dad has a backstop with targets in front of it with the garage behind it all to stop stray arrows.

Field tips are the only type the kids are allowed to shoot at this time (aka practice tips, safety tips, etc; they come in different styles from rounded to slightly pointed,). Broadheads (the ones with the razor blades in them) are for hunting purposes only and until the kids are legally able to hunt they are not allowed to use them.

We have been explicit with our boys.

If they SOMEHOW get shot with an arrow, they have been told to LEAVE IT IN. The wound and pain is severe, but leaving the arrow in (which will be removed by Emergency Medical Crew) reduces a lot of the blood loss and muscle damage.

Everyone's first impulse is to pull it out.

http://www.ehow.com/how_6392605_remove-arrow-wound.html

Leave the arrow inside the person if the arrow is still attached.

This site lists the steps to take for an arrow wound.

(Our boys have been backyard archers for over a decade. With adult supervision, there as never been a problem . . . besides losing arrows in the grass!)

Truly, it is a wonderful Boy Sport . . . but I think it's important to educate them before the emergency.:001_smile:

Other than all of the basic safety stuff, my biggest fear would be an arrow getting accidentally launched downrange at an upward angle. Even the simplest of kids' bows will have the capability to send an arrow quite a distance if shot at the correct upward angle.

When I was young, I had a basic fiberglass recurve that could shoot an arrow well over 100 yards. Later I had compound bows that could shoot much further, and this was in the 80s. I can't even begin to imagine how far today's sophisticated bows can send an arrow.

A lot of people hold their bow at an upward angle when they are drawing it back. If they happen to release the string at an upward angle during their draw, the arrow is going to go quite a ways.

Thank you!!! I am really appreciating all this information, thoughts, links, etc.

My son ended up at Cabelas and being gifted much more bow than I thought he'd get (a recurve that can have new arms put on as he gets bigger and stronger). A lot of safety precaution is for sure needed.

Tomorrow he will get some lessons from the relative who gave the bow and arrows today, but I would also like to find other lessons. Any idea how to find good ones?

I tried sites like the National Field Archery Association, but didn't come up with anything that way.

Also just any more safety etc. ideas would continue to be appreciated. I like the take a book out and always be there--I think maybe I'll make it a book on tape so I can actually watch what is happening. Eye protection, okay good. The parts about leave an arrow in if one gets shot is awful to contemplate, but important to know!

ds worried me in car on way home by telling me that the arrows are dull and cannot do any damage.

Any more?

Other than all of the basic safety stuff, my biggest fear would be an arrow getting accidentally launched downrange at an upward angle. Even the simplest of kids' bows will have the capability to send an arrow quite a distance if shot at the correct upward angle.

When I was young, I had a basic fiberglass recurve that could shoot an arrow well over 100 yards. Later I had compound bows that could shoot much further, and this was in the 80s. I can't even begin to imagine how far today's sophisticated bows can send an arrow.

A lot of people hold their bow at an upward angle when they are drawing it back. If they happen to release the string at an upward angle during their draw, the arrow is going to go quite a ways.

We were told to set up the target at his chest/ head height...would lower be better to avoid angling the bow up?

Other than that, this tells me that the best position for the target is probably the one that has an upward hillside a ways beyond it.

I agree with much of what has already been covered - treat it as a serious weapon, keep the arrow pointed at the target, etc. Also remind your dc, no "dry" firing - which means no pulling the string back and "shooting" without an arrow. That can cause the limbs to break and seriously injure the archer or badly warp the bow.

Regarding the comment regarding the "dull" tips, buy a watermelon or canteloupe and have your dc shoot that. Remind them that the surfaces of those melons are actually tougher than most human skin. Also have them hold an arrow and gently "jab" it into their leg - hurts, doesn't it? Now imagine it coming at you at the speed it exits the bow. Blunt, target tips can do severe damage. You need to show them that even blunt arrows can do significant damage, telling isn't enough. Let them see the damage.

Also, watch out for deflected arrows. Especially with new archers, an arrow can skim the side or top of a target and then veer off at an unpredictable angle at top speed. So absolutely NO ONE can be downrange during archery practice, even if they are not in the actual lane.

One other hint, make a rule that all archers place their arrows into a quiver to carry them back to the shooting line or that they hold them in a tight bundle with all the tips pointed down. I have seen many a child trip with a hand full of arrows and this policy helps keep them from spearing someone in the back or leg.