Menu

Question for sugar addicts

CAMom

I continue to really struggle with sugar addiction!:glare:

I'm wondering, for those of you who understand what I'm talking about and struggle with it, too, do you have an family history of alcoholism?

I read once, somewhere, that sugar addiction and alcohol addiction are somewhat related. has that been your experience? Alcoholism definitely runs in my family on both sides.

And, if you have any suggestions on conquering the addiction, I would love to hear them!:)

I can quit any time I want :w00t:!!!!

Seriously though, yes, alcoholism runs in the family. I've been told alcohol and sugar metabolize in similar ways in your bloodstream. So there does appear to be some sort connection.

I wish a veggie eating addiction ran in my family....

High sugar consumption can also presumably be linked to a yeast problem, as yeast craves sugar. Both are definitely a problem for me, but I do find that after a few days of watching what I eat, the craving declines significantly. (ready to come back as soon as I break down and eat something sugary!)

Brownie

I have a family history of alcohol and drug addiction (most all of my aunts and uncles have struggled with it in some way and my father was always active in AA for vets when I was a kid.) I was also raised in fairly extreme poverty (including homelessness) and I was sexually assaulted. By all traditional measures for risk assessment, it's a miracle I didn't end up a crack head or sex addict. I used to joke that I am lucky my addictive tendancies and self medication came in the form of workacholism and sugar addiction. I have made great strides over the last several years on the sugar front and just this year on the workacholism front. It is what it is. I am lucky to be getting it under control now rather than later.

I'm wondering, for those of you who understand what I'm talking about and struggle with it, too, do you have an family history of alcoholism?

I read once, somewhere, that sugar addiction and alcohol addiction are somewhat related. has that been your experience? Alcoholism definitely runs in my family on both sides.

And, if you have any suggestions on conquering the addiction, I would love to hear them!:)

I have a major sugar addiction and a tiny bit of alcoholism in my family.

I wanted to recommend going to a naturopath. I found out that my adrenal gland was depleted and there were some other deficiencies that were addressed with supplements. I was taking the vitamins and smoothies religiously for a few months and I seriously experienced a miracle - I didn't crave sugar. I didn't try to stop - I just didn't want it anymore. No desire for chocolate or candy or cookies at all. Then we did a couple of trips and I wasn't taking my vitamins (I'm actually horrible at taking things every day) and then it was summer and, well...

I'm back to taking my supplements and going to the gym and am hoping that the same miracle repeats itself :)

I know it was the supplements because there is no way I could have used willpower to change my mind like that. It was such a weird experience.

Most DEFINITELY related! I've been a sugar "addict" my entire life!!! My dad was an alcoholic and my mom had her forms of addiction (eating disorder, that unfortunately was my addiction of choice). There are things you can do to help. The main thing being that DIRTY word --- EXERCISE :glare:! In the last year, I've gotten ALOT better. Still have my ice cream about once a week, but nowhere near where I was dietary wise. Pick something FUN you'll enjoy. For our family, it was martial arts. There is scientific evidence of the whole endorphine release that mimics sugar intake, etc., etc.

If you have the time, there is an AWESOME book you could read on it. It's called Little Sugar Addicts by Kathleen DesMaisons. INCREDIBLE!!! The introduction goes into alot about why she went into this field of research --- her father was an alcoholic. She worked in a rehab and saw the correlation between relapse and sugar consumption. VERY eye opening!

She has another book The Sugar Addicts Total Recovery Program. I personally learned what I needed to get on the right track trying to help my kiddos by reading the Little Sugar Addicts. But I've heard alot of good about the 2nd book, too.

I feel your pain! SERIOUSLY!! To people who don't deal with it seems so trivial, but to someone who truly does have a "draw" to it, it really is almost like a "drug."

Keep it up! You CAN get victory over it! And you'll feel SOOOOOOOOOOOO much better!

Good luck :grouphug:

Edited by tammieb

Yes, alcoholism is in my family. No suggestions though, I'm newly admitted.

Robert Lustig has several fascinating videos on youtube. Towards the end of this one, he shows the similarities between sugar and alcohol.

Frankly, I hope in another 100 years, sugar will be looked upon as just as dangerous as tobacco.

Here's Neal Barnard:

The baby experiment at the beginning is a hoot - sort of...

Now you know how I spend my time now that ds is dual enrolled and I'm not teacher anymore. ;)

Edited by Sue in St Pete

yes, addiction in my family. Yes, if there is a sugar addiction, I think I've probalby got it.

I have had some success with l-glutamine and i'm working my way off but honestly, I'm at a point where I've cut down but otherwise I've only substituted one kind for another. I haven't had white sugar for several weeks but i've had honey and dried dates (as in ground with almonds and coconut to make a little treat).

It's hard enough to quit white sugar but honestly, it seems as if you ought to be able to have a little mayo on your sandwich or a but of catsup on a potato w/o having a sugar fix.

I made my own mayo but it isn't nearly as satisfying . . . probably b/c it didn't have any sugar.

sigh

Yes, sugar addict (though doing much better since cutting grains from my diet!). No, my family doesn't have a major alcohol/drug addiction problem that I'm aware of. There are a few second degree relatives that I think have had problems, but I've never heard or seen anything that leads me to believe any of my closer relatives do.

She has another book The Sugar Addicts Total Recovery Program. I personally learned what I needed to get on the right track trying to help my kiddos by reading the Little Sugar Addicts. But I've heard alot of good about the 2nd book, too.

The Sugar Addicts Total Recovery Program has been very helpful to me, although I am not totally recovered. I am trying to have my daily potato and eat some nuts with my daily cherry coke. ;)

My maternal grandparents were both alcoholics for a time.

Another inspirational woman for me is Dee McCaffrey:

http://www.processedfreeamerica.org/

I read that book and a lot of things made sense. I really kind of bought into it. However, eating breakfast within an hour of getting up is not physically possible for me. I did honestly try it for a while but

stop reading here if you're sensitive

I would gag and sputter just trying to get a mouthful down. I tried several different things from eggs (boiled, scrambled, fried, poached) to cereal, to granola, to yogurt, to smoothies, to dry toast, to Forget It!

It just seemed after a while that there had to be another way. I have even thought of doing it in reverse order. Maybe there is something about the whole addiction thing that makes me so breakfast intolerant.

Now, I do eat breakfast sometimes . . . but it is several hours after waking. I get up at 6.15 and on some days I'm ready to eat around 10 and on some days, noon is a better time for me.

The naturopath this is really interesting! I may have to research that.

For me sugar addiction is related to blood sugar. When I got on a program of no sugar but eating every 1 1/2 - 2 hours, my addiction went away. (Of course, that was after about 2 weeks of absolute misery during which time I was so cranky no one could even talk to me.)

I am currently partaking though. And yes, it is compulsive...

OP, I do have a brother who was an alcoholic.

I know it was the supplements because there is no way I could have used willpower to change my mind like that. It was such a weird experience.

Yes, I'm probably addicted to sugar, although I manage it by avoiding it most the time, especially now that I'm older and my health isn't quite as robust as it was. As for alcoholism, there has definitely been a family tendency towards heavy drinking, but mostly not to the extent where it caused problems or interfered with normal, everyday performance.

Apologies if someone has already posted something like this, but I have been able to manage (not completely break), my sugar addiction by first eliminating virtually all of the white, refined sugar from my diet. Then, I replaced white sugar with maple syrup, honey, and rapadura (for baking). One article I read recommended no more than 3 tbs/day of natural sugar. Sorry-can't seem to locate it again on google. I've also found that the sugar in so many recipes can be easily halved with no discernible difference in taste. After a few months, I now find that I cannot abide too much of a sweet taste, whereas before I felt I couldn't get enough. That being said, I do fall of the wagon more than I would like. Chocolate and occasional Starbucks trips are my weaknesses. Can't seem to avoid the pumpkin spice lattes, even when I feel awful after I drink one. :glare: Anyway, I used to be someone whose tea had to be sugared so much that I could set my teeth on edge, and now I drink my tea with no sweetener. Good luck and go easy on yourself. This is a tough habit to break!

I've been struggling just to START the sugar elimination process. It seems like there is always someone giving me a treat and I should start "after it's all gone" or the baby keeps me up all night and I need "one last coke" before I give it up for good...

And yes, my grandfather was an alcoholic!

How interesting that these two things may be connected!!!

Ok, gotta get back on the bandwagon...

My family has a history of Type II Diabetes and alcohol abuse.

I've always had carb cravings and I could easily see myself heading toward insulin resistance.

The only solution for me is to eat a very low-carb diet. It does not work for me AT ALL to only cut out sugar, all high-carb foods have a similar effect in the body. It doesn't matter if it's a donut or a baked potato, the result is the same, cravings.

Wow, really? Yes, I am a sugar addict (as are other members of my family) and I have a huge family history of alcoholism. Off to read this thread...

I tried the moderation thing and apparently my body rejects the idea that you can moderately eat sugar.

I agree and I'm sick of hearing people preach the moderation mantra. You wouldn't tell an alcoholic or drug addict to use in moderation, right? ;) Honestly, I can be off of sugar for a bit and have one slip up and it's like I never made any progress at all.

Honestly, I've watched the show Intervention and I can always see myself in it but with sugar instead of drugs or alcohol.:001_huh:

Thank you so much for participating in my unscientific little study here. Seems like the majority who posted do have some history of alcoholism in their families. I find it very interesting.

My sugar is off due to my PCOS but no i cant go a day (let alone a few hours) without a sugar drink or food with sugar. I cant do it.

I do not have alcoholism on my side of the family. Only 1 person drank and died from it- it was my great grandpa.

Up the fat.

So far I've found that Stash's Lemon Ginger tea and coconut oil is acceptable to me. In all other ways I have to hold my nose to get the oil down.

I cannot moderately eat sugar. Nope. For me it's cold turkey or nothing. And, I feel to good without it to tempt fate.

Yes, I have alcoholism in my family. Funnily enough, I've never even struggled with an addiction to anything other than sugar. :glare:

I read that book and a lot of things made sense. I really kind of bought into it. However, eating breakfast within an hour of getting up is not physically possible for me. I did honestly try it for a while but

stop reading here if you're sensitive

I would gag and sputter just trying to get a mouthful down. I tried several different things from eggs (boiled, scrambled, fried, poached) to cereal, to granola, to yogurt, to smoothies, to dry toast, to Forget It!

It just seemed after a while that there had to be another way. I have even thought of doing it in reverse order. Maybe there is something about the whole addiction thing that makes me so breakfast intolerant.

Now, I do eat breakfast sometimes . . . but it is several hours after waking. I get up at 6.15 and on some days I'm ready to eat around 10 and on some days, noon is a better time for me.

I've actually heard (by GAPS author Natasha Campbell Mc Bride) that your body detoxifies up until about 10 am, so that you actually *shouldn't* eat before then, and, the first thing you should have is room temp lemon water with lemon.

I can't make myself eat before 10, either. And now I've stopped trying.

I can't believe I'm seeing this post. I read about this a couple of years ago but no one else seemed to know any more about it. Yes, alcoholism is all thru my family history, like ppl died from it. I also read that maybe serotonin is linked to sugar addiction. I'm doing much better now that I'm taking an SSRI. I did have to entirely give up refined sugar, though. Sugar was my heroin, and once it was out of my system, I lost 30 lbs in a matter of months. I'm no longer overweight after years of struggling with it! I miss sugar sometimes but the strong cravings are gone.

:grouphug:

I think some people just have addictive personalities and then pick their poison. I believe it's possible this personality quirk is more hereditary than a specific addiction to a substance or behavior.

I don't really think that's true in the case of "sugar addiction".

All of these things have something in common, insulin resistance in one form or another.

-insulin resistance (leading to weight gain and cravings)

-pcos

-hypoglycemia

-type II diabetes

I'm not exactly sure how it relates to alcohol abuse but I definitely think there is a link for some people.

I don't really think that's true in the case of "sugar addiction".

All of these things have something in common, insulin resistance in one form or another.

-insulin resistance (leading to weight gain and cravings)

-pcos

-hypoglycemia

-type II diabetes

I'm not exactly sure how it relates to alcohol abuse but I definitely think there is a link for some people.

I'm not arguing that there is a real, physical component, but I have seen people kick one addiction only to replace it with another.

This is so weird! I was JUST thinking about this connection yesterday (in the shower...lol!) We have a ton of alcoholism on both sides of both of our families. Someone close to me LOVES sweets, and I believe is a dry alcoholic (alcoholism, unfortunately, is not defined in my FOO as someone with a disease, but rather as a down-and-out, can't-hold-a-job "drunk." NOT helpful in recovery...).

So interesting to me.