Menu

to keep...or not to keep the microwave

yes, another kitchen question..I have a microwave that is large and is above my stove right now. I hardly use it, but sometimes in a pinch I do...like to defrost something, melt or soften butter, heat up something that is super small...that sort of thing. If you used to have a micro and got rid of it, do you regret it??

When we moved to Germany, we did not choose to buy a microwave. No reason other than lack of space. We haven't missed it at all, and I doubt we'll get one when we move back to the US. I can boil water and melt butter (which is about the extent of our prior usage as well) on the stove ;)

Keep it. Even if you are concerned about radiation (I assume that's why you'd consider getting rid of it?), you don't use it very often. If you sell your house, having it mounted there will likely be a plus for the new owner.

:iagree: And in the meantime, just don't use it. We've been micro free since 2008 (whoooo!) and don't miss it!

I vote no to a built-in microwave. I do own a microwave, but it is a small freestanding unit that lives in a base cabinet. Yes, right inside a cabinet, behind a door. Not on a counter (no appliances live on my counters) and not above the cooktop. I had this cabinet designated as the microwave cabinet when we remodeled the kitchen and just made sure it wasn't a drawer unit. Other than that, it is a regular ol' base cabinet with a door. Before the remodel, the microwave lived inside a high cabinet above the oven, and the plug snaked out the top of the cabinet to an extension cord that ran the length of my upper cabinets (behind the molding--it was not visible) to a plug in the wall. I am not anti-microwave for health reasons, but I am against anything that takes up space in my kitchen unnecessarily and find that I can warm things just fine without it.

Microwaves can also live in pantries if you have one with a plug in it.

I would not worry about resale value. It is easy enough for a future resident to buy a microwave.

Terri

Our last one broke so long ago that we can't remember how many years its actually been, seven or eight at least. My DD wailed and whined and wondered how she would ever eat warm food ever again. :tongue_smilie: She eventually adapted.

We've thought about getting a convection toaster oven to replace our $5 toaster, and to handle those few times when we want to warm up or cook something small so we don't have to heat up the oven.