Menu

Hashimoto's?

Paige

I was told today that I have Hashimoto's but a normal thyroid level so there is nothing to be done except wait for my thyroid to fail. :confused: Does that sound normal? I feel like I am very symptomatic for low thyroid- cold, tired, joint pain, and hair falling out by the fist full, but the Dr said that those symptoms must just be stress related because of my normal TSH. My TSH was not high at all- not even borderline. I am also low on Vitamin D which she said was normal w/ Hashimoto's and to take a Vit D supplement w/calcium.

It seems crazy to me to just accept that my thyroid is going to get all screwed up and wait for it to happen. Is there anything I can do or supplements that will help while I wait for my thyroid to fail?

I also have Hashimoto's with normal range TSH levels. I'm on a synthetic thyroid medication. My Dr tested my T4, Free T3, TSH, & TPO. My TPO (antibodies) was really high. I have the same symptoms as you do. My Dr said that since I'm having symptoms my normal thyroid levels is obviously higher than the level I'm currently at. Even though I'm testing within normal range he put me on medication because of this.

Who diagnosed you? My new ob gyn diagnosed me. I'm in the process of going to see an endocrinologist. I would strongly urge to get a second opinion with a full thyroid panel done. It took me four years to get a correct diagnosis. I was also told it was stress related. I had two bald spots before I found a Dr who would listen to me. Do not wait for your thyroid to fail, your body needs your thyroid, it's there for a reason.

:grouphug::grouphug:

Kim

I have hashimoto's -- the number don't mean a lot because everyone feels different at different levels.

The website recommended in the previous post is excellent. Anything written by Mary Shomen is well worth reading....and taking notes.

I believe that when I am tested, my doctor does t3, t4, tsh, and I am thinking anti-thyroid antibodies (TPO) --

I take armour thyroid and things have been under control for 8 years now.

I have Hashimoto's with normal TSH as well. I take Synthroid and have an annual ultrasound to monitor a nodule that I have. I did have all the thyroid levels checked as well as antibodies initially which was 4 years ago. Now I only have the TSH checked each year.

I was very surprised that my TSH was normal because I have all the symptoms that you have (except hair falling out). None of my symptoms improved on the medication and I am convinced they are related to stress.

Cindy

Edited by Cindy in FL.

Yes. Start by eliminating gluten from your diet. There are other herbs/supplements you can take that will help reverse the auto-immune process, but you might want to see an herbalist to get the correct supplements for your body. Usually selenium and glutathione along with some adaptogens are pretty standard. But stop the gluten right away. Just Google "gluten and Hashimoto's" and you will find more resources than you can imagine.

Thanks. I was diagnosed by my family Dr/nurse practitioner based on T4 and the TPO I think. I'm surprised so many other people are being treated with normal TSH. I was told that there would be no reason to treat. It's hard to get another opinion or another Dr w/me going to the Dr at the military post. I can get a 2nd opinion in the same clinic but to me that is not an objective 2nd opinion. The Dr (NP) wants me to see a dermatologist for my hair and said he may look at different hormones or take another look at my labs, so maybe he will see the Hashimoto's connection. I feel that the symptoms are so generic and it is easy to blame it on "women's complaints" instead of seeing it as a real problem. I've had many pregnancies and have nursed a lot and experienced hair shedding from that but this is much worse and I don't think it is "female pattern balding" and genetics. The NP said normal hair loss is 80-100 strands a day and I quit counting at 200 in the shower. That doesn't include the clumps that come out when I brush, or the ones I am constantly picking off my clothes. My older maternal female relatives all lost their hair, but all the women in my mother's generation were diagnosed with thyroid diseases....see the connection? :glare:

I'll google the gluten connection but I kind of want to put my head in the sand about that. I love breads and pasta. We have other food allergies so eliminating another food group would be hard.

What is your level that they are calling "normal?" What is "normal" for the average person is typically pretty

high for the average Hashimoto's patient. My endo keeps my level between 0.3 and 1.0.

I really need to do something other than daily medication though.

My daughter has been trying to get me to go GF for two years. I just can't imagine (though I watch her do it).

I have Hashimoto's with normal TSH as well. I take Synthroid and have an annual ultrasound to monitor a nodule that I have. I did have all the thyroid levels checked as well as antibodies initially which was 4 years ago. Now I only have the TSH checked each year.

I was very surprised that my TSH was normal because I have all the symptoms that you have (except hair falling out). None of my symptoms improved on the medication and I am convinced they are related to stress.

Cindy

There are people who do not convert T3 to T4 properly, and Synthroid is only T4. The natural thyroid has T1, 2, 3, 4 and calcitonin, all of which help the thyroid function properly that has lost function.

Many people who want to stay on Synthroid at least add cytomel, T3. You should NOT still be symptomatic, or it is just not right.

You might enjoy stopthethyroidmadness.com