Menu

Ds (11) read a new book he really enjoyed. What are your 10-12 yos recommending...?

My ds11 read and really enjoyed The Search for Wondla by Tony DiTerlizzi:

http://www.amazon.com/The-Search-WondLa-Tony-DiTerlizzi/dp/1416983112/

He also likes

The Mysterious Benedict Society (series)

Gregor the Overlander (series)

Silverwing by Kenneth Oppel (sort of a series, about bats! All my kids love these)

Robot Wars (series by Sigmund Brouwer)

The Name of This Book is Secret (Secret series by Pseudonymous Bosch)

and most books by Roald Dahl!

My 10yo has just read and enjoyed The Black Stallion. It's a great story about a boy and a horse. She also quite enjoyed The Toothpaste Millionaire.

My 12yo just read the full version of Alice in Wonderland for the first time. It had escaped my attention that she hadn't actually read it for herself (it gets a bit tricky remembering who has read what...) so I 'assigned' it. She really enjoyed it. Now she's onto Through the Looking Glass.

My kids also love The Ranger's Apprentice series.

My son would say to keep going with Dianna Wynn Jones and don't stop until you have read them all!

And, then move on to Neil Gaiman, Graveyard book and Coraline are great. When he was 10 and 11 (he is 12 now) he loved Gregor the Overlander series while he was waiting for more books by Rick Riordan.

And, if he hasn't already, check out The Melendy Quartet and The Penderwicks. My son loved those.

Another vote for The Mysterious Benedict Society. Dd also just started The Evolution of Calpurnia Tate, and she has recently re-read all the Warriors series books (about cats). She plans to read, in the next few weeks, Island of the Blue Dolphins, Tuck Everlasting, The Endless Steppe, and, with my guidance, To Kill a Mockingbird. Also, she just read Holes for book club and really enjoyed it.

Tara