Menu

S/O off weight & exercise thread

Due to our current season of life, I've had to change my exercise routine. I used to do a combination of cardio & strength training for one hour 4 days a week. Now I've had to adjust my exercise time to thirty minutes 3-4 times a week. How would you separate cardio vs. strength training into the new time frame? I've been doing mostly strength training, but it has not been as effective as I'd like. I read somewhere that strength training is better than cardio for losing weight, but I'm just wondering if different people react differently. What's been your experience with this? Thanks.

I have 30 min, 4-5 days a week. I do cardio 3 days and strength 2 days. On 4 day weeks, I combine strength w/ cardio on one of the cardio days and add 10 minutes. I find it to be as effective for me as when I was doing cardio for an hour 6 days a week. Good luck! I struggle w/ the time thing and look forward to having more time to exercise( though it makes me sad too because that means my babies are growing up. lol)

The idea is that the more muscle you have, the more efficient your body is losing fat. I don't have the study in front of me, but it should be pretty easy to look up more information on this if you're interested.

I generally do strength three times a week, cardio (mostly plyometrics, little running) the alternating days, and more 'fun' exercise (Ultimate Frisbee, sports, etc) the last two days. Works great for me. I'm not trying to lose fat, so I can't look at it from that point of view - but my strength is great and I am very happy with how I look.

Due to our current season of life, I've had to change my exercise routine. I used to do a combination of cardio & strength training for one hour 4 days a week. Now I've had to adjust my exercise time to thirty minutes 3-4 times a week. How would you separate cardio vs. strength training into the new time frame? I've been doing mostly strength training, but it has not been as effective as I'd like. I read somewhere that strength training is better than cardio for losing weight, but I'm just wondering if different people react differently. What's been your experience with this? Thanks.

Body type matters. I am an endomorph and require both. BUT one way to get both (kind of) in a short amount of time is plyometrics or heavy bag work.

If you are short on time I recommend tabata drills. They can be done strictly cardio, strength, or a combo of the two. Basically you work for 20 seconds as hard as you can, rest for 10 and repeat. You do this 8X, I have taken a group fitness class where you do it 4x then switch to a new movement 4x. That's it. You could do a cardio tabata drill which would take 4 minutes and then have time for heavier strength training. Plyometrics are fantastic for tabata drills and they build strenght while working you cardiovascularly as mentioned above.