Menu

Wedding Raffle

Is this the craziest wedding thing you've ever heard of?  

1. 1. Is this the craziest wedding thing you've ever heard of?

• Perfectly fine and normal to hold a raffle to cover wedding expenses.
    • Perfectly fine but not normal.
    • Craziest thing I've ever heard of when it comes to weddings.
    • Crazy but I can one-up you (Please share)
    • Proverbially other

My son was recently invited to by a ticket for a "Wedding Raffle". 25% of the proceeds would go to the raffle winner. The other 75% would fund the wedding. I was rendered speechless when he showed me the FB invite his friends had sent him.

I don't know. I think it's fine, although 50%-50% would have been more fair. LOL, it's not like they are demanding a cover charge. A little offbeat, to be sure but a creative way to offset some of the cost. I don't know that I'd participate...I generally don't care for raffles...but I wouldn't be bothered by it.

I don't know. I think it's fine, although 50%-50% would have been more fair. LOL, it's not like they are demanding a cover charge. A little offbeat, to be sure but a creative way to offset some of the cost. I don't know that I'd participate...I generally don't care for raffles...but I wouldn't be bothered by it.

What isn't clear is if you'll be invited to the actual wedding. The invite was solely to buy a raffle ticket :001_huh:.

Didn't they had one of those at the beginning of the expose novel The Jungle? I assume it was a common occurrence in extended family or village type cultures where big weddings were important but money was not always available. I think the main characters were Lithuanian.

Another older custom I've heard of is auctioning off dances or kisses from the bride to pay for the wedding.

Not normal. But then, they can't exactly be traditionally-minded if the invitations were issued via Facebook!

I know that some people would find the idea cute and fun, but tbh I would be insulted by it. Not only are they asking for help to cover the cost, but they are implying that their friends are only going to help with the bribe of having a chance to win. If they can't afford a wedding, they could just have a small, informal one. If they literally can't even afford a few hundred dollars, they could still ask for contributions in lieu of wedding gifts.

ETA - Noticed that this wasn't the actual wedding invitation. So what, these people are expecting their friends to pay or the wedding and then presumably pay for presents as well, if they're invited?

Crazy, but I can match that or one-up you.

We had a relative who asked family & friends to donate items to a silent auction that would help fund their wedding. Then also asked said family to pay for tickets to attend the dinner/silent auction. So any who actually did this were triple-donating --- items for the auction, paying for the dinner, then buying stuff at the auction.

And people actually went.

And this was after they also had both a bridal shower & a groom's shower, and a registry that was one of those "put money towards our honeymoon package" deals.

And besides the fact that in Hispanic culture, it's VERY normal for family to contribute, graciously and behind the scenes. I do not know if they also took advantage of that (the groom is Hispanic, the bride is not) or not.

Anyway, it was nutty.

Tacky.... like wayyyyy tacky.... incomprehensibly tacky.

If you want an expensive wedding you can't afford - would you really want to advertise, "Hey - we want to spend a bunch of our friend's money to pay for a completely frivolous expense none of us can afford right now...."

:confused1:

And besides the fact that in Hispanic culture, it's VERY normal for family to contribute, graciously and behind the scenes.

:iagree:

I remember dollar dances with the bride, family raising goats to slaughter them in time for the wedding, massive amounts of TP flowers to decorate, aunties/tias sewing the bridemaids or flower girl dresses... basically on a budget. Folks do not do that anymore.

The one wedding invite was in 2004 from a cousin who had a destination wedding in Hawaii. Family members were invited -- IF they could foot the bill for their own airfare and hotel costs. Simply tacky. I thnk only 5 people attended her wedding. My family chose to skip this event. Cousin divorced the groom 2 years later. :glare:

Edited by tex-mex