Menu

Doctor said the preliminary culture was NEGATIVE for chicken pox! Now what?!

Someone please help me out here. This doctor -- not our family doctor, but one of his partners -- just really ticked me off. He says the preliminary culture came back negative, but we won't know for sure until Monday now. When I asked him if it's NOT chicken pox then what on earth could it be, he said folliculitis.

Guys, this is NOT folliculitis! I don't know what to do now. He got very condescending with me. Me, "Well, doctor, do you think the swab was done too early? I mean he only had a few spots, and they were closed, no blisters yet when he saw you." Him, "uhh....no, mrs. h. i already told you the spots give off a tremendous amount of virus, even that early on." Me, "Ok, well then, if it's NOT chickenpox, what on earth is it?!" Him, "folliculitis." Me, "What?! how on earth would that happen to him?" (forget the fact that there is not one -- NOT ONE -- spot with a hair in it. Him, "*sigh* mrs. h, he's already on an antibiotic, so he'll be fine." Me, "But I thought if it was chickenpox, the county needed to be notified. I am telling you, he has the chickenpox! How can we know for sure?" Him, "He'll have a blood test done later on that will determine for sure."

My regular doctor is out of the office until October 15th. There is a physician's assistant (his) who I trust completely, but she can't treat anyone under 18. I don't trust the other partners in this practice.

Do I take him to urgent care? Or call urgent care and ask them? I need answers, and this "doctor" is not giving them to me.

As I was reading your post, I was thinking, "I would take him to urgent care." Whenever I can't deal with the doctors for one reason or another, I just take the kid to urgent care.

:grouphug: I'm sorry. It sounds very miserable and not having answers is worse.

Does the rash look like chicken pox? Is it sort of opaque, with liquid inside? It's almost like a circle within a circle. Did it start with a good fever, and then progress to a sunburn rash, then the spots? (Obviously, some cases don't follow this progression!) if you really think its chicken pox, does he need to be seen? I wouldn't take him in unless you can't control the itching, spots are getting infected, or the fever didn't go away when the rash arrived. If you don't think it looks like chicken pox, then I would go to a different doctor!

If he has chicken pox, and you do go to urgent care, I would call them first. They might want you to use the back door and not sit in the waiting room, because he is contagious.

Does the rash look like chicken pox? Is it sort of opaque, with liquid inside? It's almost like a circle within a circle. Did it start with a good fever, and then progress to a sunburn rash, then the spots? (Obviously, some cases don't follow this progression!) if you really think its chicken pox, does he need to be seen? I wouldn't take him in unless you can't control the itching, spots are getting infected, or the fever didn't go away when the rash arrived. If you don't think it looks like chicken pox, then I would go to a different doctor!

If he has chicken pox, and you do go to urgent care, I would call them first. They might want you to use the back door and not sit in the waiting room, because he is contagious.

:iagree: I never went for an official diagnosis when 3 of mine had it. I think there is more danger in bringing him (for anyone who is immune compromised.) I only brought my dd when she spiked a really high fever and we were quarantined.

You could take him to urgent care, but most doctors won't do anything but shrug over chickenpox. If you're not sure of the diagnosis, then go to rule out something worse, like measles. Call and inform them you're coming in ahead of time, because most offices do NOT want a kid with chickenpox or measles sitting in their waiting room.

They will tell you chickenpox just has to run its course, but to let them know if he gets pox in his eyes or develops other complications. It seems like an easy peasy illness, but in reality, it is not. If you have a bad case, you'll be sick and miserable for two weeks. But there really isn't much you can do about it, unfortunately. BTW, most docs can recognize chickenpox on sight...I've never had any docs I know culture for it. Is he very young? They often don't have the experience with communicable childhood illnesses that older docs do.

Edited by DianeW88

If it looks like and acts like chicken pox, it is probably chicken pox. Yes, it is good to get it on the record because then he won't be subjected to future chicken pox vaccines that will be unnecessary.

Thanks, ladies. We're going to urgent care. I called them and told them about the doctor and said I would prefer to have a definitive diagnosis. They said bring him on in. They also said not to worry about any precautions when we get there (same thing my doctor told me). Weird, I know, but I guess since the vaccine has become popular, they don't worry so much about that anymore. :001_huh:

Anyhow, we're on our way. Will update when we get back.

Thanks again!!!

PS - this has presented and acted like a textbook chickenpox case. I'll be shocked if it's not. Be back soon!!

Donna, what ABX is your son on? Because you can get a nasty rash on about the 4th or 5th day after taking penicillin, that can look for all the world like it's chickenpox in some kids. BTW, that doesn't mean your child has an allergy to penicillin...some viruses (especially mono) just react with it in a way that causes a rash.

I guess I'm not clear why you need a definitive diagnosis? You think it's chickenpox, which is a virus, so you just have to treat the symptoms, keep him isolated, etc. If it's NOT the pox, he's on an antibiotic, and you'd still keep him isolated until he's not contagious.

Why does the county need to be notified? And if it does, that's on him, not you, right?

I guess I'm not clear why you need a definitive diagnosis?

I think proof one has had the disease "counts" the same as having had the vaccine.

Definitely notify before going, though. My child had a rash I knew wasn't chicken pox, but they had us come in through a back door and go straight to an exam room.

Wow! That doctor sounds BRILLIANT!!!! Maube a good course of antibiotics a few years back would have stopped my dd's face from turning BLUE? :cursing: and many doctors told me not to worry about it. Now I say, "Well, Dr. If it was your child's face turning blue, would you ignore it?". Shuts them right up AND I have gotten more doctors wanting to HELP when I say that.

I am really sorry for you and your son. I would definitely send him to urgent care.

Folliculitis? really??? :rant:

If you want proof that he's had it, you can also just get a titer after he's all better.

:iagree:

First, I am not quite sure why you need to have an official diagnosis? Is he really ill?(high fever, lethargic). Or has this been going on for over a long period of time?

I never had the chicken pox, that I was *aware* of. When I got pregnant with my son at 21, the OB/GYN asked and I said no. But they told me that I could have been exposed and never showed any spots, or even just had a few that I never paid attention to. They did the titer, and bingo. I am immune.

I wouldn't take him to urgent care over something like this unless he is dehydrated, lethargic, spiked fever, or has become a lot worse then when the spots showed up. They are just going to tell you to go home, and have him rest, drink fluids and they will go away on their own.

And yes, it is chickenpox.

To answer the question as to why I wanted a diagnosis: if you could see this boy, you would understand. It is AWFUL. When I say they're everywhere, I mean it. If this weren't chickenpox, I'd certainly want a better idea of what it was we were dealing with. Also, I want it for his records.

Anyway, this guy just shook his head when I told him what the other "doctor" said and did. He said it's a shame because I originally had Matthew to the office on Monday, in plenty of time for an anti-viral to be given (as many suggested in my previous thread about this).

He took a swab -- I mean he actually broke open a blister and swabbed it, unlike doctor wonderful the other day who swabbed what looked like a bug bite :glare: But he also suggested the titer.

I believe my next course of action is going to be making an appointment with our doctor at the practice when he gets back (10/15) and talking to him about this. If he recommends the titer, we'll get it. In the meantime, at least now I have an answer, and I can write it on his records. We'll just keep doing what we're doing; keeping Matty comfortable and as itch-less as possible.

Thanks!

Deb, Did he give you the antiviral though? My son received it after he had the spots for quite a while... Don't forget to oil up his face while he's healing... and other parts that he doesn't want scarred :( (My dermatologist said vaseline on scabs while healing... I just used healing oils...)

He said 72 hours is the window for the antiviral, so we're beyond that. He has no new spots, so it's a matter of drying up what few blisters remain. He said just keep doing what we're doing, because he seems to be healing nicely.

There are a few spots that I'm watching for infection; those I'm keeping triple antibiotic cream on. The blisters are getting calamine. The rest of them are getting coconut oil. I spoke with our dermatologist this morning to ask about that very thing, keeping him from scarring. She said the main thing is don't scratch and keep vaseline or the triple antibiotic on them.

The good news is that he slept really well last night, and he seems to be getting his appetite back a little. He wanted taco bell on the way home from urgent care today (dorito taco....yuck! but he wanted it).

When my boys had chicken pox and were on the road to recovery we got invited to go swimming. I want to be clear that they were over the illness part of the CP and were now in the 'feeling better but looking horrible' phase. The people who invited them knew the kids were recovering from CP.

Anyway, that dip in the swimming pool did amazing things for their recovery. I think it was the chlorine in the water? Their pox were all dried up and most healed over night. If we ever had to go through that again, I would definitely find a way to get them back in a pool again. A good friend, who saw what it did for my kids, had her son do the same when he had CP. The results were similar. It was dramatic.

Some states accept a titer as proof of immunity, but if I remember correctly, that isn't true in all states. So before you go through with the titer, I would look into your state law, because sometimes it still wouldn't exempt a child from vaccine requirements for school, college, etc. if that's a concern. I know a few people who had to pay out of pocket for them, so if it won't "get" you anything in your state, then you might want to know. You might also ask about the price if it isn't covered by insurance.

It's the chlorine. It makes lots of things heal faster. Try a cup of bleach in a tubful of water.

Dermatologist recommend this a lot for people with eczema. It is a cup of bleach in a tubful of water, that’s less concentration than a swimming pool and very safe.

As for proof, most college forms and other forms I’ve seen accept physician diagnosed disease as proof of disease (and therefore exemption from the vaccine or further testing). Since you won’t see the Urgent Care doctor again you may want to ask for a copy of his records so that you can use that as proof if needed.

Some states accept a titer as proof of immunity, but if I remember correctly, that isn't true in all states. So before you go through with the titer, I would look into your state law, because sometimes it still wouldn't exempt a child from vaccine requirements for school, college, etc. if that's a concern. I know a few people who had to pay out of pocket for them, so if it won't "get" you anything in your state, then you might want to know. You might also ask about the price if it isn't covered by insurance.

Really? That sounds amazingly senseless. Immunity is immunity, no?

Dermatologist recommend this a lot for people with eczema. It is a cup of bleach in a tubful of water, that’s less concentration than a swimming pool and very safe.

A lot of us buy concentrated bleach. That might explain why a cup seemed like so much at first.

I was curious, so I looked it up. For standard household bleach, you'd need about 1 gallon/1000 gallons to equal pool chlorine (It's not the right product for a pool, of course--speaking strictly of chlorine level.). That would give you about a cup per 65 gallons (more or less). It still really sounds like a lot to me though. If it were my kid, I think I'd try about 1/2 cup and repeat if needed. And keep the fan on & make it a pretty quick bath.