Menu

Is co-op really worth it?

So I love the fact that my older kids get to spend some (much-needed) time away from me on Friday mornings, but it's so hard with a baby who needs to nap and with a 25-min. drive each way (ok, I know that's not much to some of you big-city folks, but here it's like the other side of the moon!) I'm not sure I'm going to continue. The little one just has a terrible morning each week (which also ruins mine) without his regular naps. We don't have anyone who can watch the baby in the mornings, and I can't afford to hire a sitter each week. Ugh.

Just venting, I guess....

So I love the fact that my older kids get to spend some (much-needed) time away from me on Friday mornings, but it's so hard with a baby who needs to nap and with a 25-min. drive each way (ok, I know that's not much to some of you big-city folks, but here it's like the other side of the moon!) I'm not sure I'm going to continue. The little one just has a terrible morning each week (which also ruins mine) without his regular naps. We don't have anyone who can watch the baby in the mornings, and I can't afford to hire a sitter each week. Ugh.

I think it's worth it for the kids, if the co-op is a good one, and the classes are academic and tough. I don't have a baby though!

Being an old Mom, I had to have my kids close together, so I can't imagine how that works out, as mine were always able to nap. I do see lots of other Moms just take the babies everywhere.

I'd say skip the co-op. When my children were so young I favored just being at home and "nesting": that's what I aimed for....you know, reading books, nature walks, story hour at the library, a few play dates now and then, working in the garden, doing laundry and grocery shopping with mom, etc. Then when the kids reached 9-12ish then I think a co-op is a great idea.

Myra

We used to belong to the same co-op. ;) For us, no, it's not worth it anymore. Part of my decision also had to do with rules involving teaching. We'll get involved again when the kiddos are older.

I see our kids are the same ages (but mine are all boys)...PM me sometime! Always want to meet more Syracuse-area HSers! :001_smile:

I'd say skip the co-op. When my children were so young I favored just being at home and "nesting": that's what I aimed for....you know, reading books, nature walks, story hour at the library, a few play dates now and then, working in the garden, doing laundry and grocery shopping with mom, etc. Then when the kids reached 9-12ish then I think a co-op is a great idea.

Myra

Whoops. Somehow I must have looked at the wrong signature and I thought her older ones were older. Yeah...stay home!

Well, I'll be doing the AM coop thing for my kids this year (it starts next week) with a baby in tow. Academically, no, it isn't worth it. BUT, the baby grows and changes so much over the weeks and months that what works well with naps today isn't where things will be in three weeks.

If it is great for you to have big-kid-free time, and you can find something positive for yourself and your little ones during that time, I think it can be very worth it to get your break.

I'm assuming it is the baby that is the problem and not the 2yo. Is there a way to use a carrier and go on a walk and have the baby pass out? Stroller and pass out? If there is another sleeping option you could make work in the area (walk around a park or a mall), you may find your kids having an outlet in the middle of winter is very helpful. I know it helps us. It helps ME.

So that is my plan for this year. It's just getting started, but we're doing it and I can't really back out or my kids would be heartbroken. So we'll make it work and the baby will adapt in our situation.

It would not be worth it for *me*.

I say let it go. Stay home. Relax.:)

:iagree: :)

I haven't done a co-op with my kids yet because I just don't think it's necessary. Maybe when Link hits 5th grade or so, we'll try it out -- or maybe not. :) I do see potential benefit when they get older, for science classes and such. Though I still wouldn't consider them necessary.

I could take or leave co-op. At first, we didn't have one. When the girls were 4 and 6, we started attending. It wasn't really academic, more for fun. We had to stop this year because it got more expensive and we're driving Rebecca into town 3x/week for gymnastics, which also got more expensive.

Honestly, they've been just fine. They get out plenty and like I said, it didn't add anything academically.

For age 6?!?! Absolutely not. Dump it and live in peace. You have tons of other things you can get out and do, so you can probably find something that fits your schedules better once you dump this thing that doesn't.

There's absolutely NOTHING going on in that co-op that is unmissable for a 6 yo, mercy.

We have been attending the same co-op for 6 years, though we have taken some semesters off (when baby was 6-12 months and hard to entertain, during chemo, when we had many other time obligations). For the first 4 years we did ONLY the 2 morning classes or ONLY the 2 afternoon classes, depending on which classes were more appealing to my kids. It didn't interfere with nap schedules (my kids all stopped napping by 2).

At this point, my whole family is there all day one day per week (DH and I both teach there also). All 5 boys are in classes that either provide something that I would not be able to at home (like Math Olympiad team, a science class taught by someone from the local science museum, chess club with an actual coach) or that they really want to take and I don't WANT to do at home (like art/craft classes, or Lego Problem Solvers).

I am VERY happy with our co-op experience (after ruling many out), and I can't imagine homeschooling without it. HOWEVER -- it WAS hard when I had toddlers, and I do not regret the semesters we took off.

Long way of saying -- it depends on the co-op. Would your kids be getting something from the co-op that they could not get at home? Is it worth the inconvenience of the REST of the kids, for that kid to get it? For my family, sometimes it was yes but sometimes it was no. If you are looking at co-op PURELY for socialization reasons, there are much simpler and cheaper ways. With the ages of your kids, it would have to be something pretty spectacular to justify it, IMHO.

At ages 5 and 6??? No way!!!!!

I have been homeschooling for 14.5 years. Most of the co-op activities were nothing more tha. A social outing. While we did have a few good classes, most were a waste of time. Besides, we take care of school at home. I am NOT interested in most co-ops and don't like the homework.

My dd will be 13 next month and we dropped all homeschool group and co-op activities and are doing more desired interest things, volunteer work and social activities. I hooe she loves it as much as I know I will.

I'm going to be a dissenting view-I think that age 5/6 is a GREAT time for co-op, because so many of the skills in those years aren't purely academic. Our primary co-op does a lot of crafts and hands-on activities with science and cultures, food tastings, activities related to books,and so on, and for my DD, they were a lot of fun at age 5-6, and gave her the chance to do some of the "Real school" stuff she wanted, to have classmates, to have a place to wear her Halloween Costume, bring cupcakes for her birthday, and have an Easter Egg hunt. For me, it was nice because I only had to teach part of the time, and the rest of the time got a morning to spend talking to other homeschool moms in the parents' room, and that break was helpful.

Now, in her 3rd year, she's starting to get frustrated because the level really hasn't changed any, and she's outgrowing it-so while we're still doing co-op this fall, I'm not sure if we'll continue after this semester. I still love it and would hate to leave it, but DD wants more depth, and I don't feel she's emotionally ready to join the tweens yet.