Menu

6 snakes in a tree

While I was eating lunch something outside caught my eye in our holly tree. I looked and it was snake! We've been seeing them around lately. Then I looked closer I and there were 5 other snakes roiling around in the tree together. They were acting like they were playing. I went outside to watch them. One fell out and then another, but the other 4 kept roiling around and then coming down the tree. One stayed and watched me for a very long time and the others just kept going back up the tree again... I've not come inside and they're still in the tree. Not sitting still - constantly moving - over each other and on different branches.

They look like young garden variety of snake - probably about 1.5-2feet long.

What could they be doing? I've never seen snakes act like this before and I've never seen so many together.

Mating? SIX at a time? I had no idea snakes were such sluts. All the more reason to stay far, far away. Like in the next state--you know, the one with no snakes.

Terri

That can be a new insult! You're as slutty as a snake :lol:!!!!!

Maybe they were having a swingers party.

A counselor at Boy Scout camp talked a bunch about "balls" of snakes, how they would twine and weave together. I don't remember where he was from, the camp was in foothills/low mountains area, and some boys were reporting having seen some snakes together. He said they might have been a breeding ball, or a bunch coming out of hybernation, warming up, I think. I cannot remember if he referred to the time of year, but it sounded plausible.

My parent's used to have black snakes in the Victorian farmhouse they owned in western N.C. and they would live in the underground drainage pipes, we thought. They would crawl in and out of the holly trees in the yard, in the summer, but sometimes lay in the transom over the front door. My mother was letting herself in the front door in the dark one time and a huge heavy one fell on her. Snakes falling on you is scary, gross and creepy!

Mating? SIX at a time? I had no idea snakes were such sluts. All the more reason to stay far, far away. Like in the next state--you know, the one with no snakes.

Terri

This happened on our back fence last year. Just a few feet from the kids bedroom window, there were two snakes mating and another two that seemed "jealous" and kept bothering them. They were all weaving in/out of the chain fence, jumping to the ground, then climbing back up and heaping up on each other. :tongue_smilie::eek: :ack2:

It was interesting, but creepy. My dd had issues going into her room for awhile after that. Needless to say, we don't play in the backyard much, we stay in the front/side. It was spring mating time and luckily we only see snakes once in a blue moon, but still....:scared: I think some probably live under the house. That's okay, it's expected since we live in the south.