Menu

When to travel to match historical studies

Is it better to travel before or after studying an area?  

1. 1. Is it better to travel before or after studying an area?

• Before - they will enjoy the studies more with a personal connection
    • After - they will enjoy the area more with historical background
    • Other - please explain

Hi all,

I don't post much but I read a lot. I've been pondering something and thought that this would be the place for excellent advice and wisdom.

I am a planner by nature and really enjoy the process. I've set up a future vacation destination spreadsheet for our family in which I've tried to tie some of our vacations to what we are studying in history. Yes, things change but it's fun to look ahead and it also gives us time to save for the bigger trips when I see they are getting closer.

Anyways, I was wondering if it better to visit a place/area BEFORE we start studying about it or AFTER we've finished. It's possible that going before will get the kids excited about learning more about the area and making the connection of "hey, we were there!". I can also see where they would get more out of the trip if they knew some of the important history of what they were looking at by traveling after the fact. I suppose traveling in the middle would give them a little of each but we don't typically travel in late winter/ early spring.

For example, we will be studying Explorers to 1815 Sept 2014 - May 2015. Would it be best to travel to New England in the fall of 2014 (Oct) or the spring of 2015 (May)?

I'm going to try and post a poll. I hope it works and I'm looking forward to reading the responses.

I picked taking the trip in the spring. I think it would be more interesting to see the Liberty Bell and Independence Hall, etc. when you know what they are and why they are important. Also if any of your dc gets really into a specific area that you study, you can try to work something related to that into your trip.

We do it both ways here. We're going to King's Mountain a little before we hit the Revolutionary War, but that's local for us. I think I would want to go over topics before taking a big trip, personally.

I voted other because it's worked both ways for us. BTW I have one history lover and one who thinks history is OK when it's not all about wars.

If we go before we study it, they have a connection once they get to their studies that helps increase their interest. It becomes more meaningful to them; this is particularly helpful for my ambivalent history student, as she associates good memories with the topic.

If we go after we study it, they understand what they are seeing a bit better and can put it in context.

Wrt to proposed trip to New England... it will be really beautiful in the fall! That may be an additional treat, depending on where you live. ETA - I see you're in the PNW - my kids were amazed by fall color when we moved to PA from Oregon. Just another thing to consider...

Edited by marbel

I struggle with this as well, but I voted after because I think some things just are more meaningful if you know what you're looking at. The liberty bell is a good example. It's just a broken bell if you don't know the story.

If you KNOW you're going to take those travels, during the studying, make a huge deal about "In the spring we're going to get to SEEEE the ACTUAL Liberty Bell! How COOL is that?" or something.

Like several other posters, I don't think there's one right answer. It does make a difference to go see a site if you already know something about it, but my kids who've spent a lot of time in post-Soviet countries care a lot more about Soviet history now because they've been there. Either way can be worthwhile.

I struggle with this as well, but I voted after because I think some things just are more meaningful if you know what you're looking at. The liberty bell is a good example. It's just a broken bell if you don't know the story.

If you KNOW you're going to take those travels, during the studying, make a huge deal about "In the spring we're going to get to SEEEE the ACTUAL Liberty Bell! How COOL is that?" or something.

:iagree:

I think either way would be fine, but I voted for going on the trip after you've studied the subject. I'd take notes during the studies about things we especially didn't want to miss when we traveled, and then I'd take our book(s) with us to refer back to while on the trip.

Or if you can skip around in your book and do the lessons on your trip that pertain to it, that would be even better!

I voted after, both because they’ll appreciate it more and because I would use it as a very fun review. I went on a family trip to the Pennsylvania, D.C. and Virginia area right after studying early U.S. history in fifth grade and I think knowing what things actually were when I was looking at them helped me to remember the trip better. Going during would also be good.