Menu

How Old For Raisins?

Cooler mornings are setting in, and Wolf is making oatmeal/porridge for breakfast for him and the Littles now.

Boo *loves* it.

Only thing is, Wolf adds raisins in. So, I find myself picking them out before giving it to Boo, due to concerns of choking hazards.

At what age is it safe to give them cooked raisins? It's been so long since I've had an infant in the house that I simply don't remember anymore.

I *think* Boo is working on his 1 yr molars, but when I tried to find out for sure, I almost lost a finger :lol:

Well, cooked raisins are pretty soft. Hard ones I might think twice about, because they could get stuck, but raisins cooked in oatmeal get soft and squishy.

If you used one of those choking hazard tubes to measure the fattest cooked raisin, the raisin would still slide right through, so I would consider them a safe food. Some may go down whole- they'll probably come out whole too. :tongue_smilie:

You could always give a handful of raisins a few quick chops with a knife before adding it to the oatmeal if you felt more comfortable, but I would give them without thinking twice.

Well, cooked raisins are pretty soft. Hard ones I might think twice about, because they could get stuck, but raisins cooked in oatmeal get soft and squishy.

If you used one of those choking hazard tubes to measure the fattest cooked raisin, the raisin would still slide right through, so I would consider them a safe food. Some may go down whole- they'll probably come out whole too. :tongue_smilie:

You could always give a handful of raisins a few quick chops with a knife before adding it to the oatmeal if you felt more comfortable, but I would give them without thinking twice.

:iagree: