Menu

Probability and Statisitcs

I've heard good things about Chances Are: Making Probability and Statistics Fun to Learn by Prufrock Press. If you click on the look inside feature, you can find the table of contents.

I went through math grad school with the author, and she was a great teacher. Since then, she's devoted her career to making probability and statistics accessible to all kinds and levels of students.

I can't believe I'm going to say this, but dd learned a lot from Statistics for Dummies and Probability for Dummies. She needed another approach to them than her regular text, and they did the trick.

I made that mistake before. I got the book Pre-Algebra for Dummies when we were waiting for her program to come in last year (It was on back order and I thought we could use that to get started) After she realized I didn't call her a dummy she then said I thought she was dumb. :001_huh: I had to do a LOT of digging to get out of that one!

I've heard good things about Chances Are: Making Probability and Statistics Fun to Learn by Prufrock Press. If you click on the look inside feature, you can find the table of contents.

I went through math grad school with the author, and she was a great teacher. Since then, she's devoted her career to making probability and statistics accessible to all kinds and levels of students.

I will check that out!

I did stat in college and I suggest you ignore the standardized test scores. What they are testing isn't really stat.

If her overall math is fine continue on. If as she advances she decides a stat course is a good idea, then take it, but not based on the test scores.

I wondered if I needed to worry. She was 11points away from scoring advanced on the test so its not like she is struggling at all. That just happened to be her lowest score.

I have this book..the content is very good. It is written to the teacher and I found it needed some prep work before each lesson. Some of the activities are oriented towards groups but you could modify them or just skip them as it is jam-packed with a lot! We didn't finish the book because it was taking too much time and I was using it as a supplement. It was a bit difficult because there are a lot of plots, tables, graphs etc. that the student needs to see, but the solutions to the corresponding questions are right under the diagrams. I wish it had come with a corresponding student book.

Another book that is independent, less meaty, covers fewer topics and IMO more boring is Probability and Statistics by Wendy Osterman http://www.creativeteaching.com/p-772-probability-and-statistics.aspx It is a workbook format.