Menu

How accurate are blood pressure monitors that are placed on your wrist?

When I went to the eye doctor last week they said that they are now required to take blood pressure. They used a monitor that I'd never seen before. It was an automatic one that goes on your wrist. My reading was 133/90! The lady taking it didn't say that it was high and I didn't realize that that is a high number until I checked online later. Now I'm paranoid that my blood pressure is creeping up.

When I went to walmart today I decided to check it again with their automatic blood pressure monitor. My first ready was 135/84 so I tested again and my second reading was 124/72. :confused:

So I know, I should go to the doctor and have it checked out but I need to do a little research first. ;)

How accurate are automatic blood pressure monitors?

For me, totally inaccurate. Why? They hurt me a lot. Pain increases blood pressure instantly. That is a natural response. However, if they do it by hand as I now insist, I always have normal blood pressure except when I was taking a medication that gave me the side effect of giving me high blood pressure. I stopped and am now back to completely okay blood pressure.

My internist believes home BP monitors are reliable and highly recommends them for home monitoring. He does NOT trust the machines in grocery stores, WalMarts, etc. The PA that my mother sees has told her the same thing.

FWIW, I don't think you should take your BP two times in a row w/o waiting at least five minutes (preferably more) between readings. If you take two readings in a row I don't believe the second reading will be accurate.

I don't think they are very accurate at all.

I don't either. I'm always told my BP is fine, 120-something/80-something. That's not "fine" for me, it's significantly elevated. My BP falls a little in the shocky range normally.

Our automatic on at work is the same way. For the reason, I try to remember to take my stethoscope with me when I do wellness consultations, so I can take a proper BP.

Not realiable at all in our experience.

I have low blood pressure but had a GP that insisted on using a wrist cuff and I showed on the upper end of normal.

DH has normal blood pressure and his shows in the high range.

Our wrists are very different in size. Very.

If you take our blood pressure by hand, mine is always low and his is always normal.

The wrist ones are no good. They have to be positioned JUST RIGHT and you cannot move at all.

Better to use the automatic ones at home bought at the drugstore. You have to make sure you take your BP properly. Sit for 10 minutes. Make sure your arm is at heart level. Arm up to high,even by an 1/8th of an inch can throw it off, and make it seem lower. Your arm to low, can make your pressure higher.

Make sure your feet are flat on the floor. Make sure your palm is down.

Never, ever have your BP taken at a Dr's office while sitting on the exam table.

Insist on a MANUAL BP reading. The ear will pick up the tiniest of sound with a really good stethoscope.

I was not put on BP medication until I had at least 3 visits to the PCP office. And even when I was, I was placed on a diuretic first.

To many people are being put on BP meds because the blood pressure is being taken incorrectly.

And never trust the store ones. I know my body and what my BP runs on my medication. Generally between 110/75 to 122/82. One store had me at 165/98. That in itself will make your BP skyrocket. They just don't callibrate them when needed. Not to mention the parents who allow their kids to fool around with them(Drives me crazy!)

My blood pressure generally goes WAY up when I am at the doctor. They will do it again at the end of the appointment and it will be totally normal. Especially if I have been rushing around, worried about being late, and looking for parking. So I wouldn't discount that, too. You are supposed to have sat or laid down for several minutes prior, and not talk during the test, but those are not always observed.

My internist believes home BP monitors are reliable and highly recommends them for home monitoring. He does NOT trust the machines in grocery stores, WalMarts, etc. The PA that my mother sees has told her the same thing.

FWIW, I don't think you should take your BP two times in a row w/o waiting at least five minutes (preferably more) between readings. If you take two readings in a row I don't believe the second reading will be accurate.

To clarify my above post (which was made this morning before a sufficient amount of caffeine kicked in) -- I wasn't referring to wrist BP monitors, but to the ones that can be purchased for home use with a regular cuff for the upper arm.

Thanks for the info ladies. I had a dentist appt. today and they took my bp there as well! The dental assistant said it's become the standard of care because most people go to the dentist/eye doctor more than their family doctor. They used a wrist cuff but she had me place my hand over my chest and told me to hold still. My feet weren't flat on the floor as I was sitting on the dentist chair. My reading was 129/80. So I'll take it all with a grain of salt and try not to raise my blood pressure by worrying about it possibly being high! :lol: