Menu

Geology & Earth Science

My 11.5 year old 6th grader is much more into Geology than I thought she would be. I have exhausted our current resources. Mostly elementary books. I need something at a higher level for her. She's quite capable of more advanced work, but I'm having trouble finding geology related books and curricula that are SECULAR-not neutral, and follow evolution and geological time-not YE.

Recommendations? Websites? Books? Curricula?

For a 6th grader, you can look at geology textbooks written for a civil engineering course. The one my lecturer used was not hard to read and definitely secular. Unfortunately I can't find my book else I could give you the title.

The Illinois State Geological Survey Prairie Research Institute is having field trips in Spring 2013. They also have free for download PDFs that your daughter might be interested.

I need something at a higher level for her. She's quite capable of more advanced work, but I'm having trouble finding geology related books and curricula that are SECULAR

My 11yo read Tarbuck's Earth Science. There is a high school and a university level one. They are very very similar, with identical graphs, charts, photos, and some sections written word for word the same. The university one is about double the length and has smaller text. My son read the university one and found it VERY readable. It is definitely secular and would give your dd the depth she desires. Tarbuck also has a investigation/activity book that is very good that goes with the textbook. Tarbuck is the standard, really. You can get older editions for cheap.

HTH,

Ruth in NZ

Edited by lewelma

For a 6th grader, you can look at geology textbooks written for a civil engineering course. The one my lecturer used was not hard to read and definitely secular. Unfortunately I can't find my book else I could give you the title.

The Illinois State Geological Survey Prairie Research Institute is having field trips in Spring 2013. They also have free for download PDFs that your daughter might be interested.

I will have to look into the trips. Thanks!

I heard about Tarbuck, but I wasn't sure which one was best. I was thinking that or CPO, but I think she could get Tarbuck. I just really wish I could hold these in my hands instead of reading snippets of reviews on Amazon!

My 11.5 year old 6th grader is much more into Geology than I thought she would be. I have exhausted our current resources. Mostly elementary books. I need something at a higher level for her. She's quite capable of more advanced work, but I'm having trouble finding geology related books and curricula that are SECULAR-not neutral, and follow evolution and geological time-not YE.

Recommendations? Websites? Books? Curricula?

You might find that a physical geography text fits the fill too. Harm De Blij is an author I've enjoyed, but the book I used 15 years ago doesn't seem to be widely available.

I've only glanced at it, but Introducing Physical Geography by Strahler is used at West Point (where it has a university specific binding and is titled "The Dirt Book").

We also enjoyed the Science Explorer books on geology (I think our copies are titled Earth's Changing Surface and Inside the Earth)