Menu

I saw our new therapist yesterday.

I love her. She's also an ex-ps teacher and ex-school counselor and is pro-homeschooling. I guess she's seen enough kids that need to be removed from their school or change schools.

I really feel good about this, and also realized I've become too wimpy in my parenting. Having special needs/sensitive kids has made me probably too empathetic and I have to toughen up a bit with them. I've been an enabler.

Tonight I showed my backbone to 15dd and she acted like she was relieved. Where oh where did I go wrong? I wasn't always such a parenting wimp. Oh, well nowhere left to go but up now. :D

:grouphug:

I really appreciate your post and honesty. I also have a son with autism and my eldest has a personality which frequently clashes with mine. I feel so exhausted sometimes and think "why bother?" but the best thing is to stay the course and be the parent, even though it is hard. Your post really encouraged me and boosted my resolve today.

I feel the same with my dd with autism. I struggle to find the balance between clear boundaries and acknowledging her sensitivities and that she just doesn't think like everyone else.

I'm glad you've found someone who seems to "get it." :)

Cat

Thank you. It's still the beginning, but I love her style and she's very supportive. She was asking me things about aspergers and bipolar. Ugh. I don't care any more what it's called I just want her to be happy and capable of meeting whatever goals she has as an adult. Oh, and a pleasant home life would be nice, too. :D

I really appreciate your post and honesty. I also have a son with autism and my eldest has a personality which frequently clashes with mine. I feel so exhausted sometimes and think "why bother?" but the best thing is to stay the course and be the parent, even though it is hard. Your post really encouraged me and boosted my resolve today.

It is hard. Some days I understand why parents quit trying. :grouphug:

I'm glad that you found such a good therapist. :001_smile:

Thanks. I actually had her with another therapist, but used that one in an emergency for another child. That one was adequate, but I really feel God led me to this one. I went back to the list my dr. gave me and she was highly recommended with our issues. She's much farther away of course but if she helps us like I'm hoping she will it will be a small sacrifice.

Thank you. It's still the beginning, but I love her style and she's very supportive. She was asking me things about aspergers and bipolar. Ugh. I don't care any more what it's called I just want her to be happy and capable of meeting whatever goals she has as an adult. Oh, and a pleasant home life would be nice, too. :D

The name doesn't always matter but the proper medication does. If it is bipolar, you want a top notch pediatric psychiatrist helping you out. I will say that meds made 90% of the difference here.

The name doesn't always matter but the proper medication does. If it is bipolar, you want a top notch pediatric psychiatrist helping you out. I will say that meds made 90% of the difference here.

Yes, she referred us to one and he will check her out. It's exhausting. I sure hope the right meds help her.

Yes, she referred us to one and he will check her out. It's exhausting. I sure hope the right meds help her.

It IS exhausting but to give you hope, once we found the correct med combo (our daughter is very complex due to additional medical issues) things are 90% better. Now she is honestly my EASY child.