Menu

I'm convinced - sugar is bad for me

So, I've been on the low carb diet straight and fairly narrow for about 4 weeks. Dd had to bake and decorate a cake for her cake decorating class yesterday. She took second place in the overall presentation, first in taste, and first in basket-weave design. So, of course, we all had to enjoy a slice at 9 pm last night. It was wonderful, golden cake with delicious vanilla mousse filling and heavenly homemade frosting. Today, I feel like a slug, my sinuses are awful, I didn't sleep much at all, and I'm bloated again.

I'm convinced, sugar is bad for me.......

I have noticed different things, especially in the last 10 years, associated with me eating sugar, especially too much. At one point, I would eat baked goods for a dessert, and I would wake up with hives all over my stomach. Odd!

Now, it is more the aches and pains in one of my ankles or hips. I first noticed it one night when I shared oreos with my dd. The next day, I awoke so achy. I, also, have a friend who has been athletic is whole life. Around 40 he started having severe knee pain when running or after running. My sister, a PhD in nutrition, told him to try giving up cokes - voila, no more pain to this day and he runs every day.

I think that certain things affect inflammation - sugar and MSG/preservatives - being the worse ones.

ReneeR

My reaction to too much sugar has changed throughout my life. Migraines and severe left hip pain as a teen. 2 years ago it was muscle twitching. Lately it just seems to be generally acheyness in the mornings and a sensation of swelling in my joints.

hmmmm interesting you should say this......I have hip pain fairly frequently due to SI joint problems. It has not bothered me much lately, but today it is really aggravating. I never put the two together. My daily headaches did go away about 7 days into the change in eating and my hips felt much better. In fact, I've considered starting running again.

I'm really wondering about inflammation and sugar now.....I weighed this morning and was up 2lbs from Monday's weigh in. That has to be fluid retention. Wouldn't that indicate inflammation? That would explain the joint pain?

hmmmmmmmm

I've been off it since June 1st and I've never felt better in my life. Whenever I see tempting sugary treats, all I have to do is tell myself, "Turkish Delight" and all urges disappear.

Years ago I was sugar free for several months, then slipped back into bad habits after eating one slice of cake. Even though it made me sick, I just kept eating things that I knew I shouldn't. I remember well how much I regretted those choices and how I felt powerless to let it go. Now I'm finally at the place where I know I need to stay in order to be healthy. I think I have more strength now to get back on track if I did have a little dessert treat, but the memory of how awful it makes me feel will more than likely keep me from indulging very often, if at all.

Blessings,

Lucinda

I have been eating low carb and low, as close to none sugar as possible. Two nights ago I ate some almonds covered in dark chocolate. I had bought them thinking almonds are ok and dark choc. should be better than milk, right? Well when I went to bed, I felt horrible, really bad (swore I would throw out the rest of the choc. almonds) but the next day I had an intense craving for the choc. almonds and ate the rest of them. I now know I can NOT even think about buying anything like this again.

Wow, I'm learning so much!!! How long does this sugar "hangover" last. I woke up in the night with the worst non-migraine headache I've had in years!! The joints in my hands are really achy too. I expected to feel yucky yesterday (the day after the sugar), but didn't expect to feel more achy today.

Does raw honey and pure maple syrup have the same effect as sugar?

It depends. If you are actually intolerant to cane sugar as I am, you can have sugar from sugar beets, honey, maple syrup etc.

If you are insulin resistant as I am now (unconnected to the cane sugar intolerance) then you have to stay away from all of them or at least eat them with enough protein to balance out what it does to your blood sugar.

For me - I get one reaction (more severe) to actual cane sugar that is separate from a blood sugar spike and reaction.

DD's doctor just told us that she needs to start eating low carb and remove sugar. In actuality, DH and I also need to follow suit.:tongue_smilie:It's to the point that we are all so tired of not feeling our best, that I don't think it will be as bad as I originally thought!

It is eye opening when one really reads labels and learns where carbs hide. I did realize for example how certain fruits etc. aren't as health as one would assume.

Edited by Dina in Oklahoma

Does raw honey and pure maple syrup have the same effect as sugar?

For the past 3 weeks, I have used either 1/2 tsp raw honey in my hot green tea or 1/2 tsp unbleached sugar in my coffee. I saw no effects from that (that I'm aware of anyway). But, I was advoiding all processed foods, sugars, grains, and most fruits.

This past week, I added back some fruits, and either a slice of homemade whole grain bread or muslix cereal. That has not bothered me either. But, the small slice of cake/frosting had awful affects.

I've been off sugar since March, but I'm at WDW right now and I've been splurging (basically eating crap). It's like everything I did has been undone (well,

I haven't gained any weight, but I FEEL like crap).

So, we leave here Sunday morning and I am immediately cleansing and eliminating all the garbage. I am SO not looking forward to the detoxing days, but can't WAIT to feel better again!

The sinuses and bloating remind me of how I feel after I eat too much dairy. I get both allergy and lactose symptoms to some dairy. I do ok with cheese, but can't do ice cream, milk etc....

Also if you have been low carb and then ate a bunch of gluten, that could also cause bloating.

I am gluten free and low dairy. I also can't tolerate onion/ garlic anymore. I feel great off all the foods my body didn't agree with. My oldest has an actual tested dairy allergy. He is the one that got me started looking at all my health issues.

Ok you guys aren't actually encouraging:( I love me some sugar and chocolate and while I have gone off it before it hasn't been long lived. And if I go off it for a long time I can't ever enjoy it again without feeling like crud? That's depressing:(

Stevia makes sweet treats possible! (Too bad it doesn't work well for most baked products. For candies and cheesecakes it's fine.)