Menu

Best of the Best Engineering Toys/Curriculum

EmmaNadine

My son is five, but he loves building things. We currently are mostly a Lego household, with the Contraptions pack and some eBay'ed Technic pieces. I know there are lots of different building sets out there that all have different pieces, but it seems that most of the brands are not compatible with each other.

My looking around has turned up these major brands:

Mechanical Engineering

K'Nex

Technic

Engino

Fischertechnik

Electrical Engineering

Snap Circuits

Fischertechnik

A lot of the mechanical brands have solar power add-ons now, it seems.

Robotics

Lego Mindstorms

Arduino

Fischertechnik

Thames and Kosmos seems to have a kit in each area, but not really expandable from what I've seen.

So, what I'm asking is if there is a recognized "best" brand in each of the three areas. I'm not going to start him on robotics right now, but just for future planning, because this stuff is expensive. I would like to pick a brand in each area and stick with that brand to prevent buying things that don't work together. Fischertechnik seems to cover all three areas, but it also seems the most pricey of the three.

Advice?

And I know you can do a lot of engineering stuff cheaply if you have an adult that knows what he or she is doing who can supervise, but neither I nor my husband have that skill set.

Arduino might need soldering for some projects.

Lego Technic and Mindstorm pieces go well together.

If you think your child might be interested in robotics competition in the future. than you could look at Mindstorm and Vex Robotics.

My boys started snap circuits at your child's age. I have no experience with Fischertechnik.

Most fun Arduino things do require soldering and programming.

Definitely start with Snap Circuits for that grouping (and we recently found an off-brand solar car that was interchangeable with them which was awesome) and move on from there into the soldering/electronics with Make materials.

Before robotics, we found Technic and WeDo and various other Lego motors to be most helpful. Then you move into Mindstorms and programming which is also useful for Arduino down the road.

I think we have 1 K'nex kit which the boys like, but it doesn't get as much playtime as either Snap Circuits or Legos (including Technic). Interestingly enough, ds says that Lego bricks are the most versatile and fun to design with despite knowing how to use all of the above, so there you have it.

Edited by FairProspects

Yup, it was this one. The solar panel that comes with the car is bigger than the Snap Circuit version so the car runs better, but we spent the good part of a day wiring up other parts of the Snap Circuit kit to the solar cell to see what we could run in addition to the car. You might get even better results in your sunny part of the country. :D

Yup, it was this one. The solar panel that comes with the car is bigger than the Snap Circuit version so the car runs better, but we spent the good part of a day wiring up other parts of the Snap Circuit kit to the solar cell to see what we could run in addition to the car. You might get even better results in your sunny part of the country. :D

Thank you so much! An add-on for Christmas! :D And boy are you right about the sun here! That thing would never stop going! :lol:

OP, also consider Zometool.

The Quadrilla wooden marble runs are great too but cost a lot.

I never could quite get the Quadrilla. Where the Haba was more like a blank slate of stuff you could use to build with, the Quadrilla I played with felt like it was a kit with a few variations.

Kristina, I hope the Haba becomes an heirloom for us one day. I'm totally never parting with it. The kids recently sold their wooden train track stuff, but I'll never sell this. NEVER!

I never could quite get the Quadrilla. Where the Haba was more like a blank slate of stuff you could use to build with, the Quadrilla I played with felt like it was a kit with a few variations.

Kristina, I hope the Haba becomes an heirloom for us one day. I'm totally never parting with it. The kids recently sold their wooden train track stuff, but I'll never sell this. NEVER!

I agree about the Quadrilla. When comparing the two a few years ago, I kept thinking that Quadrilla was very pretty to look at but that the Haba sets are inherently more flexible and open-ended. My kids use them with their plain wooden unit blocks to build massive systems. They can use them with all manner of homemade add-ons. It seemed to me that the Quadrilla always stood alone without the potential for it to become more. I try to buy add-on sets regularly (they are great for Easter baskets too :D). I hope to accumulate enough sets that dividing by three one day won't be too painful for any one of my kids. :tongue_smilie:

Another entry into the mechanical engineering category would be Erector Sets. Probably too much for a five year old, but very doable in a couple of years. Our kids have liked the sets over the years, particularly the ones with motors. They're very helpful for fine motor control, working with nuts/bolts and seeing just how much tightening is enough, etc.

Erica in OR

I love this thread.

I had never heard of Snap Circuits until WTM, and my 6yoDS is *hooked!* on them; he requires some powerful motivation to do things like reading and math (he's bright, but lazy), and the Snap Circuits are doing TWO jobs for me this year - motivation AND circuit instruction!

I'm :allears: for the Christmas list we pass out to relatives. :001_smile:

Most fun Arduino things do require soldering and programming.

What age would you say is best for this? My 8-year-old has loved his snap circuits for years. I think this would be a great fit, just not sure when?

He has also been drooling over the Lego Mindstorms, but not sure yet? He has 1 project left on the younger set.

You forgot Tinker Toys. :) Also, I really like the Haba ball track and some of the other ball track sets you can build - those are very engineering based, I think.

Lego also makes WeDo for younger kids.

What sets do you recommend? I think DD would love something like that. What are favorites in your house?

Good to know ... I've got a base set sitting under my desk waiting for the tree :D. I am thinking of picking up a couple add-ons. Any favorites?

What sets do you recommend? I think DD would love something like that. What are favorites in your house?

Start with the Haba Ball track base set.

The absolute #1 favorite accessory is the whirlwind. It is my cat's absolute favorite as well. She says it is the best accessory we have added, paws-down. :tongue_smilie: Seriously, if you have a kitty, you will have to restrain kitty if you want the marble to actually make it all the way to the hole. :lol: It is challenging to set up, yes. But to me, the challenge of setting up of the track and the pride that follows is the whole reason for buying the ball track in the first place. I see that they now have a smaller funnel set now, for less, that includes a ringing track. That is now on my wish list for this Christmas. Incidentally, kitty and the kids also like the winding ball track very much.

The second favorite accessory we've got is this set, especially the sound staircase. Somehow we ended up with 2 or 3 bells. Those are great too. Extra wooden blocks are great for getting those positioned to ring without wasting too many of the ball track blocks.

We all love the start and stop as well. OK, mostly me. :tongue_smilie: I didn't buy this as part of my initial purchase but after chasing marbles all around the room, under shelves, beds...I went right to the computer and ordered it. The start is really cool because you can load the marbles in advance and then pull to release them all at once. The stop boards stop the marbles very nicely.

I'm torn about recommending Haba's marble set because it is very pricey but the wooden box is awesome (it has a lid! swoon!) and you get some special marbles, including steel, cork, and rubber, that provide lots of fun by way of comparisons. Plus there is bumping action when you put heavier marbles behind lighter marbles. The boys like this. If you have the extra funds, it's a real winner. I bought this and a giant bag of regular marbles at Wal-Mart.

If you have unit blocks to use them with, the long rails are wonderful. They would be great to have even without blocks but the blocks and these long rails make for some giant structures.

The cascade is lovely also. Another favorite with the kitty. Hey, you know what?! If you are giving the ball track to your kids for Christmas and you don't already have a kitty, you should totally get one because watching kitty play with the ball track is even more fun than watching the kids build it and play with it. Scout's honor! :tongue_smilie:

OK, I bought the flexible track and I'm going to tell you here and now, it's really cool but overpriced. Go to Lowe's and get some corrugated plastic tubing and save yourself the money. You can send me a check for that advice. ;) For an extra fee, I'll tell you not to buy the drum or the dominoes either. My kids' old drum works beautifully, propped up on a few blocks. Some sort of drum is a must though. It is a favorite and doubles as a marble catcher. It makes a great noise when the bottom is half full of marbles because when one more hits, they all bounce. For the dominoes, buy dominoes. When you're not using them in your ball track you can, you know...play dominoes with them. :tongue_smilie:

What age would you say is best for this? My 8-year-old has loved his snap circuits for years. I think this would be a great fit, just not sure when?

He has also been drooling over the Lego Mindstorms, but not sure yet? He has 1 project left on the younger set.

I'm not sure there is a set age, but I would definitely do Mindstorms first. There is a new book coming out that will integrate Mindstorms with Arduino, and that's how we plan to introduce it so it will fit in with something ds already knows. The next step for us after Snap Circuits for us was regular hobby electronics with parts/pieces from Radio Shack and the Make Electronics book.

I'm not sure there is a set age, but I would definitely do Mindstorms first. There is a new book coming out that will integrate Mindstorms with Arduino, and that's how we plan to introduce it so it will fit in with something ds already knows. The next step for us after Snap Circuits for us was regular hobby electronics with parts/pieces from Radio Shack and the Make Electronics book.

Thanks for this. DS9 is working through the big training manual from Snap Circuits and still loves them. For Christmas, I'm going to get him that solar car you linked before, the green kit, and maybe the light kit. I also think I'll do the Make Electronics book and some Radio Shack supplies. If you had to guess, what would start-up costs be for that, to set him up to be able to do a substantial number of the projects in the Make book?

I think I'm going to wait on Mindstorms until DS6 is old enough to have a big role in it and not just be little brother bossed by big brother with it, you know? I might get DS6 WeDo for Christmas to give him some ownership of the cool toys because DS9 is master of Snap Circuits, Zometool, and most Lego. I think after enough time with Make, I'll get DS9 the Arduino issue and move him into that. I plan to get him the Elenco Learn to Solder Kit. I would actually trust him with that now. He's almost too responsible, really. :tongue_smilie:

DD just couldn't care less about Legos or Snap Circuits. She's all about crafts and creating things from scratch, so I'm hoping that Make Magazine will have something for her too...or maybe I'll look at Craft Magazine for her when she's a bit older. If someone would merge Make and Craft, it would be the magazine for both of them. I have strongly considered having DS9 and DD work on a dollhouse for her. She could help him build it and install lighting. She could decorate it. Anyway, rambling now...

Thanks! We'll definitely check out Mindstorms first.

Thanks for this. DS9 is working through the big training manual from Snap Circuits and still loves them. For Christmas, I'm going to get him that solar car you linked before, the green kit, and maybe the light kit. I also think I'll do the Make Electronics book and some Radio Shack supplies. If you had to guess, what would start-up costs be for that, to set him up to be able to do a substantial number of the projects in the Make book?

I'd budget around $150 and that should take you through quite a few experiments. We haven't done the whole book yet, so I can't say for sure. We had quite a bit of parts and pieces from Supercharged Science and Engineering Camps, but we still had to set out more for the multimeter and breadboards and batteries (which are crazy expensive for what they are). Plus, several of the experiments are shorting things out and burning them up, so the pieces aren't reusable. If you already have soldering tools and some of the other tools like the multimeter (which was about a third of that estimate), it would be cheaper.

We have Zoob, Mindware marble run sets , and countless Legos... Legos gets the most attention by far.

Yes, Zoob is very popular here. Legos are most popular but the kids like the Zoob for its flexibility.

I'd budget around $150 and that should take you through quite a few experiments. We haven't done the whole book yet, so I can't say for sure. We had quite a bit of parts and pieces from Supercharged Science and Engineering Camps, but we still had to set out more for the multimeter and breadboards and batteries (which are crazy expensive for what they are). Plus, several of the experiments are shorting things out and burning them up, so the pieces aren't reusable. If you already have soldering tools and some of the other tools like the multimeter (which was about a third of that estimate), it would be cheaper.

Oh, thanks! DH does have a multimeter, so that's a relief! I bet I could hit up my dad for a lot of stuff too. I bet he has 10 soldering tools (and I'm not even joking). :lol:

I didn’t want to hijack this thread: http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/showthread.php?t=428629 , so I’m starting another.

I am useless when it comes to making things not involving a glue gun or duct tape, but my husband is capable of following, improving upon, or adapting any sort of technical instructions, and I am sure he’d love do engineering projects with the girls (They are five and six, and the older seems to be following in his footsteps.). After reading the thread, I am going to gift my crew with the Make book that someone mentioned, along with a box of bits-and-pieces. Are there any other good books for parent/child projects?

Kits are out; books are about the only things which reliably make it through the mail system.

I didn’t want to hijack this thread: http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/showthread.php?t=428629 , so I’m starting another.

I am useless when it comes to making things not involving a glue gun or duct tape, but my husband is capable of following, improving upon, or adapting any sort of technical instructions, and I am sure he’d love do engineering projects with the girls (They are five and six, and the older seems to be following in his footsteps.). After reading the thread, I am going to gift my crew with the Make book that someone mentioned, along with a box of bits-and-pieces. Are there any other good books for parent/child projects?

Kits are out; books are about the only things which reliably make it through the mail system.

:o I did hijack. Not my intention.

Unless the book is for your husband primarily, I'd really look at Snap Circuits first for those ages. The Make book is a technical manual written as an intro to hobby electronics for adults, and while there are pictures, it is going to be really difficult for kids those ages to get anything out of it at all even with adult help. The TOPS electricity unit (grades 3-6) which is also a book, might be a better fit and uses everyday parts and pieces (like aluminum foil) which are easy to find.

Edited by FairProspects

Unless the book is for your husband primarily, I'd really look at Snap Circuits first for those ages. The Make book is a technical manual written as an intro to hobby electronics for adults, and while there are pictures, it is going to be really difficult for kids those ages to get anything out of it at all even with adult help. The TOPS electricity unit (grades 3-6) which is also a book, might be a better fit and uses everyday parts and pieces (like aluminum foil) which are easy to find.

Thanks, FairProspects. The books would be for my husband but should contain projects that would be fun for both he and the girls to complete. (Of course, at this stage the girls will mostly watch, but they should have a desire to help.) I’ll take a look at TOPS, but I can’t imagine he’d be interested in following a curriculum.

To give you an idea of what our household is like, my husband and the girls are currently building a push go-cart. I’ve listened to my older explain how to insert drainage holes/pipes. My husband is constantly cannibalizing pieces from electronics--which don’t last long near the sea--and my older does the same. He has shown her how to work a soldering iron (supervised). There is always something being built around here.

I’d like to capitalize on his interests and skills, add to the father/daughter time, and have the girls see "their own" projects through. The More book looks great; I can imagine him doing something with it.

The problem with ordering kits such as SCs is that there is a good chance items will be stolen or overtaxed. I’ve never had a problem getting books; they seem to have no value ;).

• 2 months later...

Start with the Haba Ball track base set.

The absolute #1 favorite accessory is the whirlwind. It is my cat's absolute favorite as well. She says it is the best accessory we have added, paws-down. :tongue_smilie: Seriously, if you have a kitty, you will have to restrain kitty if you want the marble to actually make it all the way to the hole. :lol: It is challenging to set up, yes. But to me, the challenge of setting up of the track and the pride that follows is the whole reason for buying the ball track in the first place. I see that they now have a smaller funnel set now, for less, that includes a ringing track. That is now on my wish list for this Christmas. Incidentally, kitty and the kids also like the winding ball track very much.

The second favorite accessory we've got is this set, especially the sound staircase. Somehow we ended up with 2 or 3 bells. Those are great too. Extra wooden blocks are great for getting those positioned to ring without wasting too many of the ball track blocks.

We all love the start and stop as well. OK, mostly me. :tongue_smilie: I didn't buy this as part of my initial purchase but after chasing marbles all around the room, under shelves, beds...I went right to the computer and ordered it. The start is really cool because you can load the marbles in advance and then pull to release them all at once. The stop boards stop the marbles very nicely.

I'm torn about recommending Haba's marble set because it is very pricey but the wooden box is awesome (it has a lid! swoon!) and you get some special marbles, including steel, cork, and rubber, that provide lots of fun by way of comparisons. Plus there is bumping action when you put heavier marbles behind lighter marbles. The boys like this. If you have the extra funds, it's a real winner. I bought this and a giant bag of regular marbles at Wal-Mart.

If you have unit blocks to use them with, the long rails are wonderful. They would be great to have even without blocks but the blocks and these long rails make for some giant structures.

The cascade is lovely also. Another favorite with the kitty. Hey, you know what?! If you are giving the ball track to your kids for Christmas and you don't already have a kitty, you should totally get one because watching kitty play with the ball track is even more fun than watching the kids build it and play with it. Scout's honor! :tongue_smilie:

OK, I bought the flexible track and I'm going to tell you here and now, it's really cool but overpriced. Go to Lowe's and get some corrugated plastic tubing and save yourself the money. You can send me a check for that advice. ;) For an extra fee, I'll tell you not to buy the drum or the dominoes either. My kids' old drum works beautifully, propped up on a few blocks. Some sort of drum is a must though. It is a favorite and doubles as a marble catcher. It makes a great noise when the bottom is half full of marbles because when one more hits, they all bounce. For the dominoes, buy dominoes. When you're not using them in your ball track you can, you know...play dominoes with them. :tongue_smilie:

Just wanted to say thanks for this. I'm in the midst of Christmas shopping and your post has been very helpful. We're not getting a kitty, although the boys would like one. They'll have to stick with their stuffed cats!

Just wanted to say thanks for this. I'm in the midst of Christmas shopping and your post has been very helpful. We're not getting a kitty, although the boys would like one. They'll have to stick with their stuffed cats!

LOL! My DD has asked Santa for a cat tree full of stuffed cats for Christmas this year. I feel certain that the stuffed kitties will enjoy the ball track as well. :D

Have fun!

LOL! My DD has asked Santa for a cat tree full of stuffed cats for Christmas this year. I feel certain that the stuffed kitties will enjoy the ball track as well. :D

Have fun!

We had stuffed kitties on our tree at one point. I *think* they've been removed.

Anyhow, I chose the Haba track because of your post! My youngest son asked for a marble run, but I had thought maybe he was too old at 10 and that he wouldn't enjoy it long. But based on what I read on the forums, it sounds like older kids can enjoy them, too. And he's my little engineer, so I think he'll enjoy putting the tracks together and stabilizing them. This is what I ended up getting:

The basic set

And this because it seemed useful:

http://www.amazon.co...ils_o00_s00_i01

And this because I thought he needed curves!

http://www.amazon.co...ils_o00_s00_i00

I had a hard time deciding which extras to get. I almost got those straight pieces you mentioned, but I thought the curves might be fun, too.

I guess not any of the super fun pieces this time, but I bet he can "invent" some. We do have standard wooden blocks, so he can use those as well.

Anyhow, thanks again for taking the time to write that detailed post. I bet it helped many people besides just me.