Menu

Popcorn popped in bacon grease

Okay, did I see this here? Tried it today and it was fabulous! Made kettle corn with just a bit of brown sugar and some salt. Yummmmmm!

Not bacon-y, just rich and flavorful. :D:D

Next time we'll try it in coconut oil and see how that is.

What other oils/fats do you use to make popcorn, O Hive?

What a neat idea. We will have to try that. Kettle corn is our favorite! Did you do it in the microwave?

This may need a spin off thread, but what do you store your bacon grease in, and do you need to refrigerate it? I remember my mom had a metal canister with a strainer and lid on the stove, but I haven't seen one of those in years.

What a neat idea. We will have to try that. Kettle corn is our favorite! Did you do it in the microwave?

This may need a spin off thread, but what do you store your bacon grease in, and do you need to refrigerate it? I remember my mom had a metal canister with a strainer and lid on the stove, but I haven't seen one of those in years.

I keep mine in a pint sized canning jar in the fridge, fill it a few times and then use it, repeat.

I keep mine in a small pyrex container next to the stove. It doesn't need to be refrigerated if you use it in a few days. I have a lid for the container if we're going out of town or the cleaning lady is coming (she would dump it). Then I put it in the fridge. I don't know how long it keeps on the counter, it never lasts more than a couple days anyhow...

I've never done popcorn in it though. Hmmmm....

We just pop corn on the stove in a large, heavy pot. I keep bacon grease in the fridge in a small corningware ramekin. I strain it through a small wire mesh strainer as I pour it in.