Menu

Really torn on which way to go with this...

momto2Cs

Get your minds ready for a potentially stupid question....

If we do the Middle Ages this next year, I am torn between doing SOTW 2 in units by geography or just going with the flow. My question is this, if you go with the order of the book, how on earth do you fit in all the extra read-alouds people mention? For example, if I start a King Arthur book while we're in Great Britain and then we move on to another region/subject, do I just continue reading from King Arthur or drop that and switch to another read-aloud that fits the current topic?

My dc were the same as yours when we did SOTW 2. I found that it was just easier to read a chapter from SOTW a week and check out folk lore and picture books about the period.

We tried TOG and longer Read Alouds and such and the interest just was not there yet. But they love folk tales, fairy tales, myths, legends and such that are shortened with pictures.

Good luck and I hope all goes well.:001_smile:

We did Middle Ages this past year (okay, we are about 2/3 of the way done!). If I was reading a longer book, I'd continue reading, regardless of whether the SOTW chapter changed continents.

You fit in what works with your kids. When my dd did SOTW2, we literally read several hundred books, many on topic with history. My ds is not so much a reader, or a listener, and his book count for the same year is about 1/4 of what hers was.

I usually have a longer read aloud going at breakfast, and sometimes it fits with our history , sometimes not. This year, my two kids were using different history curriculum, so either way, one of them was slightly off time-wise. Other times, I'll read something aloud to my younger ds, it could be longer or shorter. Our reading choices depend on so many different things, usually unrelated to SOTW. :)

Excellent question! I haven't done SOTW2 yet, so I can't answer from experience, but... here I go anyway.

I'm trying to be highly selective of what we do for read alouds. It has to be good, I mean really good, literature if it is going to be worth our time. It has to hold my kids interests (this whittles down a lot of books). And if we're doing it for history it has to have enough historical content in it to be worth it. Just because a story is about King Aurthur, while we're studying Britain, doesn't mean it will make the cut. And if something is worth our time, it's worth carrying it over even when we start a new topic/location/time/etc.

The way I would do it is pick your favorite books and read them, whether on topic or not. So if you really get into King Arthur and then the next week you're in China, just stick with the King Arthur read aloud. You can always supplement with shorter picture books from the library to stay on topic. We always do read alouds at night and not during history time, so this worked for us. I would get too frustrated if I never finished a book, but was always switching! :)